No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, these complicated draft rules with picks being sprayed around and going every which way and F/S / NGA and future pick trading and the whole vibe.

Is every club sort of being accommodated to get to where it wants?

Or are some clubs making tragic mistakes?

Thoughts anyone?
The AFL has delusions of deity.
Omniscient. Omnipresent. Omnipotent.
Can do whatever it friggin well feels like doing.
So it does.

Some clubs will slip up and some will take advantage of others in the endless rounds of trading, but generally there should be enough wise heads at every club to avoid utter disaster.

The danger will be if one person is allowed to go solo, makes executive decisions and gets above himself or gets blindsided.

Hopefully Ameet, Grant and Bev are signing off all of Sam Power’s main moves.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So it does.

Some clubs will slip up and some will take advantage of others in the endless rounds of trading, but generally there should be enough wise heads at every club to avoid utter disaster.

The danger will be if one person is allowed to go solo, makes executive decisions and gets above himself or gets blindsided.

Our guys seem on top of things right now but you can see the potential to be lured into overpaying in various ways to get things done.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was looking at last year’s draft, and discovered that Chayce Jones was both one of the older kids in the pool, and nine months older than Ely Smith.

F0722FF2-7EA6-4D03-B2EC-ABEEFE2C6F2E.jpeg

You definitely wouldn’t know it.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So it does.

Talk about clubs slipping up, I have chatted with a few StK supporter mates and they are not happy with the Bruce trade. They think that Zac Jones is a good player, but Bruce was worth more to the list even with the steak knife pick that was thrown in.

Then there is the Hill recruitment: Hill + a future third-round selection were traded for Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future 2nd and future 4th round pick. My mates say Acres is not a bad footballer and therefore their club gave something up in trading him. Say Acres accounts for the future 3rd (which may be harsh), Stk paid a high first round pick, a second (potentially high) pick, a third round and a fourth round pick. That is, somewhere around 2500 points or thereabouts, which equates to pick 2 for Hill. He's a damn good player but that's a lot to pay.

But I have to say the Saints did brilliantly with the Howard trade. What were Port thinking?

I think the Saints go into next years draft with a 1st round draft pick and two 4th round picks. Not good and it highlights the risk of paying multiple picks for players: Multiple picks for a player now = marginalised recruitment opportunities later. Essentially, mortgaging the future.

Talk about clubs slipping up, I have chatted with a few StK supporter mates and they are not happy with the Bruce trade. They think that Zac Jones is a good player, but Bruce was worth more to the list even with the steak knife pick that was thrown in.

Then there is the Hill recruitment: Hill + a future third-round selection were traded for Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future 2nd and future 4th round pick. My mates say Acres is not a bad footballer and therefore their club gave something up in trading him. Say Acres accounts for the future 3rd (which may be harsh), Stk paid a high first round pick, a second (potentially high) pick, a third round and a fourth round pick. That is, somewhere around 2500 points or thereabouts, which equates to pick 2 for Hill. He's a damn good player but that's a lot to pay.

But I have to say the Saints did brilliantly with the Howard trade. What were Port thinking?

I think the Saints go into next years draft with a 1st round draft pick and two 4th round picks. Not good and it highlights the risk of paying multiple picks for players: Multiple picks for a player now = marginalised recruitment opportunities later. Essentially, mortgaging the future.
Have heard through the grapevine that Howard was on a crap load of money, north of 600k which port wanted off the books.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
GWS give up pick 6 & a future first rounder just to move up to pick 4 to get another player in ahead of Green. Please Melbourne, bid with 3 & be relevant again

Don't forget they traded two firsts to get up to six in the first place. Imagine trading three first round picks and having to settle with matching the bid anyway. You'd hate to see it...

It has been nearly two months since I have seen Patrick Dangerfield's ugly mug on my TV screen. Two glorious months. That has ended. Thanks a lot Ch 7.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
It has been nearly two months since I have seen Patrick Dangerfield's ugly mug on my TV screen. Two glorious months. That has ended. Thanks a lot Ch 7.
Why the hell did he have to be holding his son during the interview ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back