No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepting that's true, are we on the way to autocracy ? Would you be interested in joining your local Lib branch in the interests of democracy ?

No. Greens and Labor will be the two major parties and will compete for power. LNP will die off. Greens will become more moderate and will be the middle-left party. Labor will be the comparatively conservative alternative. The Extinction Rebellion organisation will form a political party and become the new radical environmentalist minor party.

No. Greens and Labor will be the two major parties and will compete for power. LNP will die off. Greens will become more moderate and will be the middle-left party. Labor will be the comparatively conservative alternative. The Extinction Rebellion organisation will form a political party and become the new radical environmentalist minor party.
Crickey, Scragg, you snuck that up on us

Accepting that's true, are we on the way to autocracy ? Would you be interested in joining your local Lib branch in the interests of democracy ?

Not sure which thread this should be in. Had a look at the first few pages and didn't see somewhere else to move my reply. I appreciate it's not the purpose for this thread so happy for it to be modded over elsewhere.

I can’t imagine why one wouldn’t accept a vote count in an Australian election. Whatever your thoughts on what is probably a bloated DPC, it’s a far cry from an autocratic regime. So my answer to your first question is no.

As to your second question, I'm not particularly politically active but I do like to engage with ideas and I attended some Vic LNP events probably 5 years ago and it confirmed for me that the party offered little for me back then, and I've only seen it veer further into areas that don't appeal to me since. They desperately need some younger voices from outside of their bubble to steer it back toward the centre and appeal to people on an intellectual level rather than just running fear campaigns and cynically embracing hodgepodge fringe movements. I think the damage to their brand may be very long lasting with a lot of people in their 30s and under though.

I see the club has announced a profit of 5.2 million. Good effort. It is called a statutory profit - not sure what that means exactly - any accountants out there?
Ninth consecutive year of profits and seventh consecutive million dollar plus profit. Well done to the Board.
Normal profit. No difference. The club is rolling in cash….
Make It Rain Money GIF

I see the club has announced a profit of 5.2 million. Good effort. It is called a statutory profit - not sure what that means exactly - any accountants out there?
Ninth consecutive year of profits and seventh consecutive million dollar plus profit. Well done to the Board.
I'm definitely no accountant* but ...

Statutory profit is a profit calculated in accordance with the laws governing corporate financial statements. So it's quite legit, but sometimes it might include one-offs that disguise an underlying trend. That could for instance be the sale of an asset for an unexpectedly high return (i.e. sold well above its depreciated value). In our case it could include proceeds from one-off state government assistance ... but I'm just speculating there. All the goings-on around the VUWO redevelopment might have had some sort of one-off impact.

The other form of profit that can be declared is underlying profit. This aims to look at the longer term trading trends by eliminating or smoothing out the effect of those one-offs. One-offs can also be negative BTW, such as asset write-downs.

So $5.2m profit sounds very good but the financial statement could still do with some close scrutiny.

EDIT: Just saw this post by @Bulldogs85 which suggests the Redevelopment Project is being separately accounted for. I'd need to see the financial statements in detail to verify if that's the case but it sounds promising.​

* Happy to be corrected if there are some genuine accountants out there.

Last edited:
Seems great to me at face value. Is anyone across the financials at other AFL clubs? Are we doing about the same or much better
This article published in April 2022 doesn't directly answer your question but is a fascinating read if you're at all interested in how the clubs get a share of the AFL pie. The pie being more than just handouts - it includes fixturing and so on. Some cute graphics too.

We are definitely in the lower reaches, even with the benefit of the 2016 flag, but we're not the worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wait until they win the World Cup before Bombers salute again in a final!

"And as we watch the Essendon and Tasmanian teams run out for the 2122 first elimination final here in Hobart, we can see some of the dual World Cup winning Socceroos in attendance. And sitting in front of them in the crowd, is that... yes, I believe it is, former Bomber Dustin Fletcher, hoping the 7th generation of his family to play for Essendon may finally join him and father Ken by playing in a winning final. And at 147 years old, Dustin looks like he could almost pull on the boots again. Bombers will be up against it today though, as the 2120 premiers Tasmania are fielding a strong team, with 37 of the premiership team in the squad today, although 25 of them have been named on the bench. And what a great innovation that was back in 2105, expanding the bench to 30 interchange, plus the 5 medical subs, 2 last minute "I'm just not up to playing today" subs, the sartorial sub, the sub-sub, and the backup sub-sub. This game just continues to evolve, and we've got long-standing AFL chairperson Hyacinth McLachlan-McGuire-McLachlan to thank for it."

Max King out for a number of months. Done his shoulder.

That Hipwood deal is atrocious, yes he always seems to have his kicking boots on against us but my word 6 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back