No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Looks like Lewis Young made a good choice for destination. Also a little ironic given who he's likely to replace.

Blues KPD refusing to get the vaccine. After the dickhead just shaved his head in "support" of Doc, but won't take actions that would ACTUALLY protect the health of those who are vulnerable.
Maybe the player in question could pursue his rapping career instead now?

Looks like Lewis Young made a good choice for destination. Also a little ironic given who he's likely to replace.

Blues KPD refusing to get the vaccine. After the dickhead just shaved his head in "support" of Doc, but won't take actions that would ACTUALLY protect the health of those who are vulnerable.
Who is it?

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FWIW I had totally forgotten Lewis Young

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
There's some reports saying "star" defender, and I've seen posters on the MB rumours thread) both Blues and others, saying this rules out LJ! Although I also saw a post that both Jones and Zac Williams had deleted social media accounts, and one media report somewhere (can't remember which one), said "at least one Carlton player". IF there are several players, will be a can of worms for both Blues and the League - have all other clubs confirmed ALL their players are vaccinated? Worse case, this may have a bit to play out yet before the ball is bounced for the 2022 AFL and AFLW seasons. A number of AFLW players are taking "time out of the game" for next season - some for injuries (including one of our own). I'm not suggesting a conspiracy theory here, but challenging times for all navigating this one.

Also, are all first class cricketers vaccinated (from Aus and teams visiting this summer)? Then there's the Aus Open tennis - will anti-vaxxers like Djokovic be allowed in, will any other players refuse to play them, will any courtesy drivers/umpires/lines-people/ball kids refuse to participate in their matches? Will Aus Open-employed physios attend unvaccinated players? I suspect we'll have ongoing headlines across the next few months - and that's only in sport.

What a time to be a sports fan/BF poster/human being!

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Hawks/AFL have just announced that Finn Macguiness has tested positive (but fully vaxxed).

Edit: posts elsewhere on BF indicated he was fully vaccinated, but this indicates it is not confirmed if he's had one or two jabs (also I spelt his name incorrectly, but WTF he's not one of our players!):

Last edited:
There's some reports saying "star" defender, and I've seen posters on the MB rumours thread) both Blues and others, saying this rules out LJ! Although I also saw a post that both Jones and Zac Williams had deleted social media accounts, and one media report somewhere (can't remember which one), said "at least one Carlton player". IF there are several players, will be a can of worms for both Blues and the League - have all other clubs confirmed ALL their players are vaccinated? Worse case, this may have a bit to play out yet before the ball is bounced for the 2022 AFL and AFLW seasons. A number of AFLW players are taking "time out of the game" for next season - some for injuries (including one of our own). I'm not suggesting a conspiracy theory here, but challenging times for all navigating this one.

Also, are all first class cricketers vaccinated (from Aus and teams visiting this summer)? Then there's the Aus Open tennis - will anti-vaxxers like Djokovic be allowed in, will any other players refuse to play them, will any courtesy drivers/umpires/lines-people/ball kids refuse to participate in their matches? Will Aus Open-employed physios attend unvaccinated players? I suspect we'll have ongoing headlines across the next few months - and that's only in sport.

What a time to be a sports fan/BF poster/human being!
Any articles at all, anywhere, about an AFL player, ALWAYS refer to them as a Star. Probably for clickbait. Then you find out who it is...

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Any articles at all, anywhere, about an AFL player, ALWAYS refer to them as a Star. Probably for clickbait. Then you find out who it is...

True, everyone is a "star", some are even "super-stars", and others are elevated even above that to being known by just a single name - like "Bont" (or "The Bont"!). Even Healey knows who "The Bont" is, such is his exalted status - but I suspect he would struggle if you asked him what Bont's first name is! :D

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure what annoys me more - Calling every player a "star", or calling every flag winner a "premiership hero" regardless of how much they contributed. Like Daniel Venables had an all-time bad game in 2018, yes is consistently labelled a premiership hero.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Not sure what annoys me more - Calling every player a "star", or calling every flag winner a "premiership hero" regardless of how much they contributed. Like Daniel Venables had an all-time bad game in 2018, yes is consistently labelled a premiership hero.

Are you insinuating we didn't have 22 premiership heroes in 2016?! Blasphemy! :)

confirmed it’s Liam Jones.

ambivalent to this. He has his freedom of choice. But that doesn’t equate to freedom from consequence. Good luck to him in any regard, I don’t believe in blanket mandates myself but the AFL I agree with given the trade off of privelige (operating while many are in lockdown)

True, everyone is a "star", some are even "super-stars", and others are elevated even above that to being known by just a single name - like "Bont" (or "The Bont"!). Even Healey knows who "The Bont" is, such is his exalted status - but I suspect he would struggle if you asked him what Bont's first name is! :D
The hyperbole amuses me too - or maybe it just bemuses me - but one factor is no doubt the economy needed for headlines and reports. And also the fact that typical readers of certain "news pictorial" journals will struggle with polysyllabic words.

"Star" is 33% shorter than "player".
"Hero" (as in premiership hero) is 63% shorter than "participant" and definitely much shorter than "member of the 2018 premiership side".

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The hyperbole amuses me too - or maybe it just bemuses me - but one factor is no doubt the economy needed for headlines and reports. And also the fact that typical readers of certain "news pictorial" journals will struggle with polysyllabic words.

"Star" is 33% shorter than "player".
"Hero" (as in premiership hero) is 63% shorter than "participant" and definitely much shorter than "member of the 2018 premiership side".
I'm sure in no time we can transition to "God", representing a further 25% savings

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
There’s going to be some big implications for players missing games next year IMO. Players will be testing positive all of the time which could have some big impacts if they’re required to sit out two weeks while potentially passing it onto teammates in the meantime.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There’s going to be some big implications for players missing games next year IMO. Players will be testing positive all of the time which could have some big impacts if they’re required to sit out two weeks while potentially passing it onto teammates in the meantime.
They will likely only miss 7 days, as fully vaxd close contacts now only have to iso for a week, assuming day 6 test is negative. Issue is whether only the positive player has to iso, or whether full team does. The latter will cause massive headaches.

Hawks/AFL have just announced that Finn Macguiness has tested positive (but fully vaxxed).

Edit: posts elsewhere on BF indicated he was fully vaccinated, but this indicates it is not confirmed if he's had one or two jabs (also I spelt his name incorrectly, but WTF he's not one of our players!):

Love it that they say he’s vaccinated in the headline, but then it’s not confirmed he’s had both shots, therefore could very well not be vaccinated.

* I hate the media

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Liam Jones has announced his retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.