No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they have enough picks to draft what’s now required? They might be forced to split pick 3 now to get an extra required pick.

Yeah, they had three picks. 3 and two late in the draft. They planned to re-draft Greenwood and Thompson with the late ones, and McLennan on the rookie list. Maybe they'll just take McLennan on the main list instead.

Beggars belief that the Suns would make such a huge mistake. It felt strange at the time they announced his delisting but I assumed there was some kind of guarantee he'd be staying with them, otherwise why not delist/relist a player unlikely to be taken. Surely much safer with someone like Rory Thompson instead?

Complete incompetence from the Suns, Greenwood is no world beater but for them he is an important player. Well played by North to get an experienced body in to help bring along their kids. Greenwood is shockingly 30 in March so he isn't part of any long term plans for North and his skill set is a little redundant with that of Anderson and Cunnington but he is a walk up starting midfielder for them.

Beggars belief that the Suns would make such a huge mistake. It felt strange at the time they announced his delisting but I assumed there was some kind of guarantee he'd be staying with them, otherwise why not delist/relist a player unlikely to be taken. Surely much safer with someone like Rory Thompson instead?
I'm pretty sure they did do it with Rory Thompson as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks virtue signalling

I have no particular opinion on what Hawthorn FC are doing but I hate the term "virtue signalling".

As this article says it's just another way of belittling people who are doing something positive, often emanating from resentful reactionaries.
“Virtue signalling” joins other right-wing slurs like libtards, bleeding hearts, snowflakes, and social justice warriors.

Yes, sometimes they aren't genuine but often they are. And as the article goes on to say, "does it matter if an individual or company signals virtue if it’s in the name of a good cause?" (Yes, even if it's Donald Trump doing it!)

Virtue signalling.
what good does it do?
Your question highlights the problem.
The point of using a pejorative label such as "virtue signalling" is to immediately delegitimise and undermine what objectively may (or may not) be a worthwhile act. It prejudges and it pre-empts contradiction.

Take away the label and the motivation that the label implies and it's just an objective act or statement by someone. It's fairer to allow it to be assessed on face value like that to begin with. Then if you think the motivation is suss/insincere it's legitimate to have a debate about that.

What using a term like virtue signalling does is put a brand on something before any reasoned discussion can take place. Being a catchy new abstract term there is a tendency for people to approach it as an established fact, closed for debate, rather than being just one person's subjective opinion. A brand, once applied and given plenty of exposure, is hard to remove or dissociate from the person/action. That's why these new terms and slogans are proliferating. It's a marketing technique. Morrison does it all the time with his slogans - "can-do capitalism", "death of the weekend", "technology not taxes".

This is all a bit ironic because the branding phenomenon is well illustrated in the difficulties that Scotty from Marketing is having at the moment. He has been disingenuous for too long and a bit too often. He has become increasingly careless in how he went about it. The now-famous "Macron moment" crystallised this creeping public suspicion and now he has a serious problem trying to shake the "pants on fire" tag. Labor understands the value of this to its electoral chances and is doing all it can to keep the topic bubbling.

So getting back to your post ... my first response is to challenge the premise of the question (insincerity). Even if it is correct, the act may still have value if it delivers somebody a tangible benefit.

And a mere gesture may still have some value despite being insincerely motivated. In some circumstances the insincerity may be toxic but in other circumstances (especially where the insincerity goes unnoticed) the gesture may be beneficial in getting others to fall in behind a worthwhile cause.

Last edited:
I had lunch at a pub in North Melbourne today with two mates (both Dogs supporters). After checking in we were told there were limited tables available because of a private function. We managed to get a table and the waiter said that the GW bloody S Draft contingent had booked the private area. I said could you let them know we are here and are available to discuss the 2016 PF -- all in good fun.

Anyway, who should walk past our table but Leon Cameron. We said hello, told him we were Doggies members, and asked him if it was true he was Sam Darcy's godfather. He smiled and said yes. We mentioned the draft and he said they were very happy with Finn Callaghan and told us we were on to a really good thing in young Sam. Then he said "I reckon Bevo will take the same approach to Darcy that he has with JUH. I think Sam is about eighteen months away from coming into is own." (words to that effect).

I asked him if he knew of any ruck prospects going around and he said that there were really only about five pure rucks in the competition and that good rucks were extremely hard to come by.

He had his son with him and we didn't want to keep him any longer but he was very friendly, forthcoming and down to earth -- a really good bloke.

Pity he is coach of the plastic s**t show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back