Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Another chance? So how many has he had now?
All part of a master plan to weaken the wooden spoon club & strengthen another Melbourne club... then give Roos more compo.

Seriously though, it's not a good look for the AFL if they supported him coming back. Poor news story on a day talking about domestic violence.

Ps. There is going to be a minute silence before games against domestic violence so the AFL need to back this up with action.

Last edited:

I'm usually talent > all else

but Thomas seems like such a scumbag and his performances haven't ever even approached the heights he projected early

Pass

Or straight swap for McHenry if you twist my arm

Another chance? So how many has he had now?
He's a scumbag, but he has been AFL-punished and should be able to return after seeing it out and doing the reeducation. Otherwise it's double-jeopardy. It's would be ridiculous for the AFL to suddenly say that we got it wrong and will increase the punishment just to appease some later campaign. Of course, should he offend again, then he is fair game.

He's a scumbag, but he has been AFL-punished and should be able to return after seeing it out and doing the reeducation.

100%.

I know I am in the minority - but I couldn't give two sh!ts about a players off the field character. I don't watch footy in the hopes of seeing the nicest person play for us.

His last two games, Less than 8 months ago, he polled 5 Brownlow votes and looked so good. Maybe those who dont want him should watch Ned and Jones run around.

Would absolutely love him at Adelaide. A midfield group of Crouch, Dawson, Thomas, Soligo, Rankine and Rachele would be elite.

I'm usually talent > all else

but Thomas seems like such a scumbag and his performances haven't ever even approached the heights he projected early

In individual games he has.

Lets not forget that he has effectively played 5 seasons of AFL (2019 - 2023). During those 5 seasons he has had 6 different head coaches (Brad Scott, Rhys Shaw, David Noble, Leigh Adams, Alister Clarkson, Brett Ratten) and played in a side that won 22 games during those 5 seasons (of which 10 wins came in 2019).

Add in his off field drama and what he has done on the football field is actually pretty impressive.

If everyone is happy enough for Marlion Pickett to play - surely Tarryn should be given another go.

He's a scumbag, but he has been AFL-punished and should be able to return after seeing it out and doing the reeducation. Otherwise it's double-jeopardy. It's would be ridiculous for the AFL to suddenly say that we got it wrong and will increase the punishment just to appease some later campaign. Of course, should he offend again, then he is fair game.
Did he actually do anything wrong in the AFL sense?
Has he been punished by society, where his transgressions were made?

He’s been AFL punished? Hasn’t North dropped him? If no other club chooses to pick him up it’s their choice, just like they can choose or not choose any player.

AFL can't have it both ways

They can't come out and make a stand on domestic violence this week then later allow Tarryn Thomas back into the game

They can't come out and make a stand on domestic violence this week then later allow Tarryn Thomas back into the game
That's the political problem: they shouldn't get involved with non-football issues.
The real problem is a pseudo-legal one. I think he would have a good case if they keep giving a series of higher punishments for the same alleged offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they can.

Just as they've done with racism, illicit drugs, gambling, concussions, etc.

They do just enough so that governments don't pull the funding (and let's face it, the AFL is a major source of income for the Vic state govt in particular).

Anyone who actually expects them to do anything more than tokenistic BS is dreaming.

You can guarantee politicians and the media will repost photos of this week's "power stance" as being a powerful statement when we all know it's just for show.

So should Tex have been permanently banned as well considering the AFL stance on racism?
Finlayson with their stance on homophobia?
So we are now comparing words to physical assault?

The issue is NOT what Thomas did - its the conflation of 2 opposing events happening

The AFL condemns domestic violence as we all do

Then we see this from Brad Scott. Read the room Brad.

On a day the AFL is trying to promote a cause - someone is trying to promote someone who is the direct cause of the AFL trying to promote it

Bizarro world

So should Tex have been permanently banned as well considering the AFL stance on racism?
I think you can draw a line at criminal acts a person has been charged with. This wouldn't include Finlayson or Tex. I don't know whether that includes Thomas.

Would include Laidley and Cousins I suspect.

So we are now comparing words to physical assault?

The issue is NOT what Thomas did - its the conflation of 2 opposing events happening

The AFL condemns domestic violence as we all do

Then we see this from Brad Scott. Read the room Brad.

On a day the AFL is trying to promote a cause - someone is trying to promote someone who is the direct cause of the AFL trying to promote it

Bizarro world

And a week after a heap of his players attended the funeral of a players cousin who was allegedly murdered by their spouse

I think you can draw a line at criminal acts a person has been charged with. This wouldn't include Finlayson or Tex. I don't know whether that includes Thomas.

Would include Laidley and Cousins I suspect.

D.Laidley is a protected species for other reasons.

Really? What about Richmond's armed robber Pickett?

This is one that constantly baffles me.

He's treated like some feel-good story, but in reality he is a convicted violent criminal, who is a dirty player on field, and despite given all these additional chances, commits another serious offence.

Should never be allowed on the field.

Really? What about Richmond's armed robber Pickett?
My view is that playing AFL is a privilege and the AFL should hold it in such high regard that anyone charged with crimes over a certain benchmark should be banned for life.

So I guess that would include Pickett.

Many organisations have a fit & proper persons test.

One of these is not even close to the others!

Everyone makes mistakes... sadly Thomas hasn't leant from his as has been a serial offender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back