Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the motivation behind not announcing player weights or using skinfolds is coming from a good place.

There is an absolute crisis among young men regarding their mental health, and this is really apparent amongst AFL footballers.

That being said, it seems more performative than anything else - a gesture, but something that won't be in any way effective. It's seems a bit pointless, when there's still so many other issues.
I can't see how listing someone's weight at a point in time would have any significant or meaningful impact on someone's mental health. I can't even see it being a straw that breaks the camels back. I took get the motivation is from a good place, but also question does it really do anything? I would think education on the impact of illicit drug use, stress management strategies, as well as wider awareness amongst the public re: player mental health (social media conduct) is the most pressing.

I think the motivation behind not announcing player weights or using skinfolds is coming from a good place.

There is an absolute crisis among young men regarding their mental health, and this is really apparent amongst AFL footballers.

That being said, it seems more performative than anything else - a gesture, but something that won't be in any way effective. It's seems a bit pointless, when there's still so many other issues.
For teenagers, potential draftees I agree.

But not AFL footballers.

We laugh about McGovern being "fat" but he is fitter than 99% of the population.

Skin folds are a tool to ensure players are at peak fitness. Which afterall is their job.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Such an even year this year.... Really feels like a year where if you make the 8 anything could happen.
Sydney and GWS are well placed at this moment such that the only travel they may have to do in the Finals is potentially on GF day.

I think the Final 8 is almost set too, there is a fun fact somewhere that the 8 is basically set now, when maybe one team coming in at most. I can see the Pies coming in at the expense of Freo or Dons.

If Lions lose this weekend to us, their season is almost cooked.

You don’t need to know how much they weigh! There’s only a handful of workplaces need to know your weight. Footy isn’t one of them.
I recall matthew lloyd commenting recently that if people are worried that people knowing their weight will cause them anxiety, then AFL is probably not for them anyway.

he himself said he was out of condition and it was pointed out and he spent the next few weeks double loading to get in shape

You don’t need to know how much they weigh! There’s only a handful of workplaces need to know your weight. Footy isn’t one of them.

We also don't need to know which of two teams would win in a game of football each week.

They're selling the product of playing professional sports, enabling the players to earn money substantially greater than they otherwise could on the labour market.

It's not really available to people to benefit from the interest in sports, and then try to suggest that the result of it is no one's business. It's quite literally the business they're participating in.

Good result really.

Could cost Geelong a top four spot. The hubris around the cooked Hawkins equalling Selwood game record made the game secondary

Not a great win for Port given they nearly choked.

The blueprint to beat Port.

Limit JHF impact.
Get past Alir when going forward.
Limit their loose ball.
Don't worry about Butters. Do the first 3 and his 30 plus posession game is meaningless.

Geelong did all this in the second half.

Prey they kick 5 goal 18 points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth reading Mark Robinson's article this morning on ex-coaches suggestions for removing congestion around the ball.

Eg. Should there be a minimum of 2-3 players from each side that need to remain in each of the forward 50m arcs?

Worth reading Mark Robinson's article this morning on ex-coaches suggestions for removing congestion around the ball.

Eg. Should there be a minimum of 2-3 players from each side that need to remain in each of the forward 50m arcs?
That would effectively create an off side rule for the AFL?

Im not opposed to it, it should be possibly trialed first at the lower levels before implementation.

Would change the complexity of the game dramatically.

Three simple changes I'd make
  1. Reintroduce third man up in the ruck so rucks can much more easily clear congestion
  2. Throw the ball up immediately for stoppages instead of waiting for rucks and other players to set up
  3. Pay holding the man frees much more aggressively to allow players to more easily work into space

I think it would be interesting to have a rule that meant that once you were subbed off in a quarter, you couldn’t return to the field until the start of the next quarter… I swear that half the reason the game is so congested is that the players are so fit now and have so many mini breaks on the bench. This leads to players being able to run forward and back so quickly that the game is generally played with every single player on the park crammed into a third of the ground.

Sure you could have zones, but it further complicates the game… would be interesting to see how you could make it work though.

I'd like to see if 16 a side would remove congestion.
Each side lose a back and forward pocket.

I'm thinking 4 less players on the field would open up the game.
I'd like to see a trial in a pre season game to see what it looks like

So what you're saying is we didn't have the culture to support Stengle back then, but we do now to support Thomas.

Is that actually true, or did we "fix" our culture simply by discarding anyone with problems?
The issue with Stengle is a personal one, linked to Eddie Betts and his wife.

Anna Scullie is Stengle's legal guardian now. Stengle relies heavily on this family bond

When Betts left, he obviously struggled. No doubt our club tried to help, but it is obvious he trusts Eddie and Anna. They are effectively his parents.

Possibly a conflict of interest with Eddie playing for Carlton. Could also be a case of Eddie and Anna leaving creating emotional issues for Stengle.

They stepped in again heavily when he went to WWT.

Stengle needs Eddie and Anna's help to not go off the rails.

Not great for our club, but that is the reality of the situation.

My son has started Footy and soccer this year u/7 s in both.

Footy has zones. Mid/Forward/Back. They play 4 a zone. 12 a side. The ball must be touched in each zone. You can't kick from defence to forward. And can't kick a goal from midfield.

Soccer doesn't. No offside is the only real change from normal

The zones create method of play. No crowding around the ball. Proper movement of the ball.

Soccer is a mess. Every kid around the ball. To hard to create space. No long kicking just constant scrimmage.

Your idea would be good in the AFL I reckon.

My son has started Footy and soccer this year u/7 s in both.

Footy has zones. Mid/Forward/Back. They play 4 a zone. 12 a side. The ball must be touched in each zone. You can't kick from defence to forward. And can't kick a goal from midfield.

Soccer doesn't. No offside is the only real change from normal

The zones create method of play. No crowding around the ball. Proper movement of the ball.

Soccer is a mess. Every kid around the ball. To hard to create space. No long kicking just constant scrimmage.

Your idea would be good in the AFL I reckon.

u7's. Soccer is a mess.o_O Isn't it about having fun and getting a kick at that age.

u7's. Soccer is a mess.o_O Isn't it about having fun and getting a kick at that age.
True, but the congestion means only two or three kids each side get a decent go.

My son asked to be keeper today second half. Smallest kid out there. I asked him after the game why he wanted to do it. He said best way to get a kick.

He had a few good moment as keeper, the pack got near him and he just grabbed the ball with hands. Booted it straight down the ground Footy style.

First of all ... Great win by the Paer - anyone downplaying that is kidding themselves. They had key players out and beat an inform Geelong in Geelong. Hen's teeth!

Reducing congestion ...

Reset the field in some way on ball-ups / stoppages also would work. Maybe you need to have one or two players in each 50m arc when the ball is thrown-up / thrown-in / kick-ins?

Get rid of "stand" because 90% of the time it's turned into "outside 5" bulldust - which doesn't help anyone.

Bring in "last touch".

I like the idea of reducing rotations in quarter. We are at a game total of 75 right now? Maybe 10 per quarter would be better?

Reducing to 16 players will probably mean more focus on defence knowing our coaches!! So not that interested in it in theory ... but maybe it will be better in practice than I think? Does it work in other levels?

Pay holding the ball and the congestion goes away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back