Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win by Port. I don't give them much chance come finals but they might get lucky and a Sydney or GWS on Grand Final day rather than a Victorian team.
I'd back them to beat the Swans having won seven in a row against them. Some teams just match up well against others. We do against Port and Carlton, but Essendon, Sydney, GWS and Collingwood have our measure for instance.

Where is the line though?
What was deemed acceptable 10 years ago, is now not.
As afc979810 said earlier who would have thought 5 years ago weights wouldn’t be allowed to be published anymore, next it will be heights and gender, it’s all getting sanitized.
It’s not sanitised. It’s “none of ya business”.

Put simply. I watch the Crows because I want them to win.

Carey banged his best mates wife - dont care.
Dustin Martin - from all reports a pretty garbage human - dont care.

If Atilla the Hun or Ghengis Khan were 194cm Elite midfielders - I would have no issue bringing them in either.
Nobody cares about Carey banging his mates wife. Takes two to tango. People DO CARE that he glassed his ex girlfriend however, …

They're pro athletes.

It's completely ridiculous.
You don’t need to know how much they weigh! There’s only a handful of workplaces need to know your weight. Footy isn’t one of them.

The 4K on Kayo suddenly decided to start working on my Hisence TV tonight, that was an unexpected win after 2 months
Oh s**t really? I wasn't home to watch on mine tonight but hoping I have a similar experience tomorrow. I was thoroughly enraged that my 4k Hisense didn't support 4k kayo somehow.

You don’t need to know how much they weigh! There’s only a handful of workplaces need to know your weight. Footy isn’t one of them.
Next they won’t keep goal kicking stats so that spud forwards don’t feel embarrassed.

Again, it’s lunacy.

It’s not sanitised. It’s “none of ya business”.

It most certainly is.

Bizarrely the AFL is desperate to copy and enjoy some of the success of the NFL draft. Weight is very much scrutinised there, as it is pertains to physical makeup and applicability for the position they might play in the pros

It’s hard to know what sort of nitwit decided that combine physical testing wasn’t relevant to the public’s engagement with prospects and the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every junior footballer in the history of the game has looked at his favourite players’ heights and weights in the aspiration to reach the AFL.

That’s just incorrect. Their physical conditioning is primary information about how they prepare, their natural traits and the fit into an afl scheme

Next they won’t keep goal kicking stats so that spud forwards don’t feel embarrassed.

Again, it’s lunacy.
Lachie Murphy likes this.

Weren't you fully on board the Get Rid Of Stengle Train for culture reasons?

I did understand and agree with the decision.

We had just come off our worst season in history winning the Wooden Spoon and losing 13 games in a row.

We had an exodus of players and it was pretty evident that our culture was completely shot in 2020. Stengle was picked by a previous regime and cost no real draft capital. Nicks was in charge of rebuilding the culture and thats why he was sacked.

Lets not act like Stengle was a red - hot commodity. Nobody picked him up when we sacked him. 18 teams passed on him during the mid season draft. The cats were perfect for him - they have been the most stable club for the past 16 years - had one of the strongest cultures and had just gone Prelim - GF - Prelim. It cost them no assets to acquire him and it was a low risk high reward pickup for them.

Do you honestly think Stengle would have gotten close to All Australian level if he had stayed at Adelaide?

So to close it out - I have no issues with what a player does off field as long as it translates to winning on the field. IMO - our culture wasn't in a spot where we as a club could have gotten the best out of Stengle. Do you think Port Adelaide was wrong for forcing Stuart Dew into an early retirement in 2006 after what he did in the 2008 Grand Final?

Last edited:
I did understand and agree with the decision.

We had just come off our worst season in history winning the Wooden Spoon and losing 13 games in a row.

We had an exodus of players and it was pretty evident that our culture was completely shot in 2020. Stengle was picked by a previous regime and cost no real draft capital. Nicks was in charge of rebuilding the culture and thats why he was sacked.

Lets not act like Stengle was a red - hot commodity. Nobody picked him up when we sacked him. 18 teams passed on him during the mid season draft. The cats were perfect for him - they have been the most stable club for the past 16 years - had one of the strongest cultures and had just gone Prelim - GF - Prelim. It cost them no assets to acquire him and it was a low risk high reward pickup for them.

Do you honestly think Stengle would have gotten close to All Australian level if he had stayed at Adelaide?

So to close it out - I have no issues with what a player does off field as long as it translates to winning on the field. IMO - our culture wasn't in a spot where we as a club could have gotten the best out of Stengle. Do you think Port Adelaide was wrong for forcing Stuart Dew into an early retirement in 2006 after what he did in the 2008 Grand Final?
That's a lot of words to justify a poor take and yet another woeful, harmful club decision.

I think quite a few posters on here (plus the club) simply didn't realise that Stengle was a good player.

Club-wise it remains a problem. We simply don't judge talent well enough which is why Murphy and McHenry can become regulars, leadership group candidates/team rev up merchants. It's why Worrell has to wait until injuries open the door for him.

Nicks has hinted in some of his comments that his mindset is changing a fraction re talent. Murphy is currently out of the team, Cook retained despite a nothing game last week, Curtin promoted after just one strong SANFL game. So hopefully heading in the right direction.

It most certainly is.

Bizarrely the AFL is desperate to copy and enjoy some of the success of the NFL draft. Weight is very much scrutinised there, as it is pertains to physical makeup and applicability for the position they might play in the pros

It’s hard to know what sort of nitwit decided that combine physical testing wasn’t relevant to the public’s engagement with prospects and the draft

F = MA. Why can't Crouch/Laird break through the front of stoppages like peak Wines?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back