Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Prey they kick 5 goal 18 points
Your inaccurate kicking was caused by bad shots on goal due to our backline. Had to spray at goal

Your mids got the job done winning the I50 count.

But only had a few marks inside 50. Missed only 3 set shots?

The rest was just rubbish panic shots due to our backline's pressure and getting the ball to ground then winning the ground ball battle.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

First of all ... Great win by the Paer - anyone downplaying that is kidding themselves. They had key players out and beat an inform Geelong in Geelong. Hen's teeth!

Reducing congestion ...

Reset the field in some way on ball-ups / stoppages also would work. Maybe you need to have one or two players in each 50m arc when the ball is thrown-up / thrown-in / kick-ins?

Get rid of "stand" because 90% of the time it's turned into "outside 5" bulldust - which doesn't help anyone.

Bring in "last touch".

I like the idea of reducing rotations in quarter. We are at a game total of 75 right now? Maybe 10 per quarter would be better?

Reducing to 16 players will probably mean more focus on defence knowing our coaches!! So not that interested in it in theory ... but maybe it will be better in practice than I think? Does it work in other levels?
Last touch rule is a good one.

The other thing is it stops the reset down the line.

The kick down the line towards the pocket/flank to create a ball in and stoppage.

That would effectively create an off side rule for the AFL?

Im not opposed to it, it should be possibly trialed first at the lower levels before implementation.

Would change the complexity of the game dramatically.
I’d go 3 in the forward half and minimum 1 in the F50 - with the 4th umpires sole role to monitor this and nothing to do with the play.

Imagine Rankine 1 out in the F50 🤤

Three simple changes I'd make
  1. Reintroduce third man up in the ruck so rucks can much more easily clear congestion
  2. Throw the ball up immediately for stoppages instead of waiting for rucks and other players to set up
  3. Pay holding the man frees much more aggressively to allow players to more easily work into space
We need to get rid of the umpires slowing down the play before a throw up to name the ruckmen.

Just throw it up straight away!

Whether they want to penalise the 3rd man up or not I'm not sure the best way to go. I think as long as both ruckmen are not infringed in the contest.

I think it would be interesting to have a rule that meant that once you were subbed off in a quarter, you couldn’t return to the field until the start of the next quarter… I swear that half the reason the game is so congested is that the players are so fit now and have so many mini breaks on the bench. This leads to players being able to run forward and back so quickly that the game is generally played with every single player on the park crammed into a third of the ground.

Sure you could have zones, but it further complicates the game… would be interesting to see how you could make it work though.
Think there is merit in reducing the number of bench rotations.

Think it is Eade who said halve it from 75 to 40 for the game.

First of all ... Great win by the Paer - anyone downplaying that is kidding themselves. They had key players out and beat an inform Geelong in Geelong. Hen's teeth!

Reducing congestion ...

Reset the field in some way on ball-ups / stoppages also would work. Maybe you need to have one or two players in each 50m arc when the ball is thrown-up / thrown-in / kick-ins?

Get rid of "stand" because 90% of the time it's turned into "outside 5" bulldust - which doesn't help anyone.

Bring in "last touch".

I like the idea of reducing rotations in quarter. We are at a game total of 75 right now? Maybe 10 per quarter would be better?

Reducing to 16 players will probably mean more focus on defence knowing our coaches!! So not that interested in it in theory ... but maybe it will be better in practice than I think? Does it work in other levels?
This is pretty much what Eade was suggesting.

Having a minimum number of players inside 50m at each stoppage.

Reckon it would be easier to monitor & more effective if there was a minimum number of players inside 50m at all times. Probably just need 2 from each team.

Pay holding the ball and the congestion goes away
Yeah, so frustrating to watch most games where holding the ball is not rewarded.

Think this would help particularly where the ball doesn't come out in the tackle, leading to congestion.

We need to get rid of the umpires slowing down the play before a throw up to name the ruckmen.

Just throw it up straight away!

Whether they want to penalise the 3rd man up or not I'm not sure the best way to go. I think as long as both ruckmen are not infringed in the contest.
This is the bit that people forget - if you can't get in the ruckman's way ... then you need to know who the ruckman is!!

You can't penalise the third man up if you don't know who the first two are!!

If we want to get rid of the ruckman from the game - then just chuck it up as soon as possible and let the players work it out.

Max King should be so much better than he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints should win this.

If Ross Lyon is interested in kicking goals rather than merely defend them.

Just switched on a terrible standard of football.

Neither team appears to have much of a forward line.

Saints are seriously bad. A nothing club playing poor football
That's what happens when you don't use high picks on your midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back