Opinion Non-Crows AFL 5: Save Ken

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah true, I think they need to look at the TV deals thing if 'attendances' are a big cause for concern. In England on Saturdays all 3PM games are 'blackout' which means they are not broadcast and it's to protect attendances.
I think it'll just take time.

Covid created a few issues.

Take mobile ticketing for example. If there's a breakdown in technology, you can have an issue. Take the last game of 2020 for example vs Richmond. Ticketek never sent out the texts to me for the game. So I had no mobile ticket on hand, I had to rush from where I was umpiring (University Oval so easy), but we had to jump in the queue as we had no ticket to get through the gate, missed the first 5-10 minutes of the game due to that.

Stuff like that can make people hesitant to bother again going forward. The AFL mid-late this year did say they're going to return to paper ticketing though. So that issue is alleviated.

But as each club has an up period, they should regain the bandwagon. Then once back on board, when the club does drop off again, every excuse under the sun wont be there like it currently has been during hte covid years.

I believe each club will get their crowds back, but it'll be on the back of onfield performance though.

Was flying back to the UK the day after, couldn't believe that I actually was at the game - first after the final siren victory since 91 and against port....

It's a game I will remember till the day I die.
If you look at the last two minutes they had so many chances to "win/ice" the game.

Boak missing a routine set shot from 40m out 2m06 remaining.

Port mark the ball defensive 50m 1m03 remaining.

This began a sequence of three marks by Port players with 33seconds remaining and the ball is at the wing.

Ball up 25 seconds remaining at the wing still.

Houston with a kick from the wing and free airs it to a Crows player.

9 seconds remaining missed mark inside defensive 50m.

If Mayes doesnt touch Murphy, Port win. Thatst the irony. Murphy had no time, even if he had taken possession and tried to kick at goal. Not to mention wouldnt have made the journey.

So many fails by Port.

I'm happy that next years fixture will be back to normal for the most part. I want to book a trip to Melbourne but it's difficult when times and dates aren't decided on until late. I actually think this is a reason for low crowds.
Agreed
I wanted to go to the Richmond game in 2021. But it was expensive booking late
I wanted to go to the Hawthorn game this year. But by the time we knew of when it'd be, it was expensive.

And other examples, normally when the fixture comes out the previous years, if someone tries to make plans with my dad, he'll always check the fixture first. But when you don't know when it is, you can't block out the whole weekend, so he'll make the other plans as they came up before the footy.

Yano - In the past, I actually wanted a floating fixture because I was so fixated on getting good games onto Friday Night rather than the AFL gambling that Carlton/Essendon would have an up year (Then they're a basketcase). Yet, once it went into practice. I hated it. 2020 I could tolerate as they were doing it on the fly. But 2021/22 has been BS.

So many fails by Port.

The Boak choke, Hinges kick inside 50, Dawson's sealer.

carl-chef-kiss.gif

The Boak choke, Hinges kick inside 50, Dawson's sealer.

carl-chef-kiss.gif
Make no mistake if the Boak Choke doesnt happen and he nailed the goal. They would have torn Rachele apart for the rest of his career.

Dawson''s sealer is now and forever legendary Showdown history.

Whats better is that it sent Port 0-3 in 2022.

Make no mistake if the Boak Choke doesnt happen and he nailed the goal. They would have torn Rachele apart for the rest of his career.

Dawson''s sealer is now and forever legendary Showdown history.

Whats better is that it sent Port 0-3 in 2022.
This is an actual sliding doors moment. And not the damo variety

If you look at the last two minutes they had so many chances to "win/ice" the game.

Boak missing a routine set shot from 40m out 2m06 remaining.

Port mark the ball defensive 50m 1m03 remaining.

This began a sequence of three marks by Port players with 33seconds remaining and the ball is at the wing.

Ball up 25 seconds remaining at the wing still.

Houston with a kick from the wing and free airs it to a Crows player.

9 seconds remaining missed mark inside defensive 50m.

If Mayes doesnt touch Murphy, Port win. Thatst the irony. Murphy had no time, even if he had taken possession and tried to kick at goal. Not to mention wouldnt have made the journey.

So many fails by Port.

It was one of those situations where literally everything had to go right for us to win in that way, which it did.

It was one of those situations where literally everything had to go right for us to win in that way, which it did.
Correct. That last play from the middle of the ground to inside 50m had to be perfect.

Mayes deserves some congratulations that hit on Murphy and then Murphy staying down with the trainer probably telling stay the f**k down as Dawson had the ball, made the entire last moments of that game unbelievable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The antithesis of the Motlop goal. That was their genuine 1 in a 100 goal. I must've watched that one about 100 times after the game. The clearance goes our way, but because a Port player gets a fingernail into Greenwood's guernsey he's dragged off the kick and it goes directly to the one Port player with 15m of space, who roosts it forwards where ballwatching Dougy decides not to front and centre but both violently takes out Gov and gets just enough of a fingertip on the ball to deviate the ball away from the contest and onto Mackay's foot. From which it bounces straight into a Port player's hand who passes to Motlop.

Any one of those events changes by the slightest amount. One of those balls bounces the other way and we win. Every single one of those events had to happen exactly as it did, and it did.

Last edited:
Chad Wingard
Monfries
Motlop
We owe them a few more.
But we have the finals Showdown when we absolutely pantsed them after halftime up our sleeve.

Add the Jenkins goal to our list. I think that was the one where Wines missed everything from 15m out after he hit the belly of the ball?

That one's a ripper just the fact that he himself thought it hit the post and the reviewers looked at it for like 15 seconds and just went "Yep looks good let's get on with it" instead of poring over it for 5 minutes. Not as bullshit as a 90 degree bounce, but still good.

It's all about how he deserves a premiership to cap his career.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Geelong wins it this year Dangerfield will be second for most games (303 or 304) played until winning his first premiership but of course that is no guarantee. Shane Crawford holds the record with 305 games until first premiership. I think Danger will get to 350 games easily, he can do it with 2 more seasons (expect Geelong to play at least 2 finals per season), but more likely in 3 seasons as he may miss occasional games.

If Geelong wins it this year Dangerfield will be second for most games (303 or 304) played until winning his first premiership but of course that is no guarantee. Shane Crawford holds the record with 305 games until first premiership. I think Danger will get to 350 games easily, he can do it with 2 more seasons (expect Geelong to play at least 2 finals per season), but more likely in 3 seasons as he may miss occasional games.

Here is the list of most games without a flag.

Robert Harvey 383
Bernie Quinlan 366
Brad Johnson 364
Paul Roos 356
Matt Pavlich 353
Doug Hawkins 350
Chris Grant 341
Nick Reiwoldt 336
Brendon Goddard 334
Kevin Murray 333
Drew Petrie 332
Gary Dempsey 329
Barry Round 328
Ian Nankervis 325
Scott West 324
Nathan Burke 323
Nick Dal Santo 322
Stewart Lowe 321
Robert Murphy
Kade Simpson 307
David Neitz 306
Len Thompson 301

Lets hope for 3 more seasons without a flag so he comes in 2nd on the list.

Just heard about the extra umpire for 2023.

Ridiculous. If anything they should go back to two.

The way the game is played two umpires will never be 20 metres away from any contest.

Another opinion on the field and more substandard umpires to bulk up the numbers.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great, we are moving to 4 umpires next year. So we struggle to get decent umpires and we are going to add another and will just add someone else’s interpretation to the mix.
I'm actually hopeful it will help.

As I have mentioned before, I suspect the umpiring issue has been largely about the position of the umpires in the last year or two. If you watch where they stand during play, it is mostly in the middle part of the ground, around 40 m away from the action. This is done purely so the umpires don't get in the TV cameras view. It's ridiculous. No wonder they can't see anything.

Going to 4 umpires means that you have one umpire on either side of a contest at all times (because the umpires overlap).

It SHOULD make it better, so they don't miss the obvious frees.

Of course this is the AFL, and they have a great ability to F@#$ everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back