Opinion Non-Crows AFL 5: Save Ken

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the sort of nonsense people say to cover up previously held opinions
Despite his talent he wasn't demanding a spot in our AFL side.

In hindsight it seems pretty obvious what the problem was. Off field.

We technically didn't delist him and tried to keep him. Choosing him over Brad Crouch (with similar off field issues) who we never gave a contract to. Stengle chose to go to Geelong instead.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Stengle didn't look a better player at a top four club with two elite forwards to crumb from there'd be something terribly wrong.

Quite happy with Rachele and Rowe as small forwards thank you very much.
I'm happy with Rachele. Rowe is a stop gap until we bring Rankine or another decent small in. I've gone on record that I would have kept Stengle instead of kicking him to the curb. Geelong are reaping the benefits. I couldn't care less what athletes get up to in the privacy of their off time when it comes to drugs. As long as it's not harming anyone else. We all know it's rife throughout society and the league.

Last edited:
The issue with Stengle wasn't talent as others have noted. And the punishment was ok imo, we had/have a very young group, and a guy that repeatedly has issues with substances and breaking club rules is very detrimental to creating an environment where people want to stay / come to. Was a line in the sand moment i think with him and crouch, and certainly the cultural issues we did seem to have appear to be over. A shame because he would be great to have still, but in the long run could be an overall benefit

IMO Stengle rarely performed well for the club. Not sure if this due to his off field activities but given how well he is performing at Geelong surely it begs the question is our development team/programme working for us.

IMO Stengle rarely performed well for the club. Not sure if this due to his off field activities but given how well he is performing at Geelong surely it begs the question is our development team/programme working for us.
Could be that or could be he’s realized that he’s truly on his last chance, has got Eddie there mentoring him too

Could be that or could be he’s realized that he’s truly on his last chance, has got Eddie there mentoring him too
And hes playing in a good side.

I know Eddie was older, but in 18/19 he was a huge downhill ski operator.

He showed plenty of signs that you tend to look for in most inexperienced lads.

He was a smart player with actual goal sense, which was something we are (were) in dire need of.

Rowe looks to be ticking those boxes as well although I'd still argue Stengle is better around goals (controlling for the difference in quality of our teams).

Agree. Think it was more about how rubbish our team was in recent years than anything. Cats have better mids and forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A season-long suspension for Stengle (if that's what we offered) was patently ridiculous and probably a huge financial penalty as well (no match fees?). Good on him for backing himself in.
He still ended up missing an entire year of football didn't he? Including being overlooked at the mid-season draft?

He didn't accept our penalty but basically got the penalty anyway

The issue with Stengle wasn't talent as others have noted. And the punishment was ok imo, we had/have a very young group, and a guy that repeatedly has issues with substances and breaking club rules is very detrimental to creating an environment where people want to stay / come to. Was a line in the sand moment i think with him and crouch, and certainly the cultural issues we did seem to have appear to be over. A shame because he would be great to have still, but in the long run could be an overall benefit

Wow. Our cultural issues had nothing to do with crouch and stengle. The difference between them and most of our list was they were caught. It’s not changed anything in that area.

Despite his talent he wasn't demanding a spot in our AFL side.

In hindsight it seems pretty obvious what the problem was. Off field.

We technically didn't delist him and tried to keep him. Choosing him over Brad Crouch (with similar off field issues) who we never gave a contract to. Stengle chose to go to Geelong instead.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There was no problem. Not off field, not on

There is no situation in which Stengle goes on to kick goals (literally and figuratively) that doesn’t make the AFC look bad.

Not one.

And you’re deluding yourself if you come up with one.

I want to join this chorus.

...and reiterate.

Just reminds me how piss weak the AFC is. We should have timed it perfectly like Port did with Impy, so his ban would end just in time to not miss a match.

Sad for him. Sad for us. But a relief it was something like this as opposed to some things that come to mind.

He's one of the throng that do this and it's a sad indication of the times. He's known, so he was always going to be watched and was always going to get caught.

Had the world at his feet, but now...how many chances do you give a potential star? Me, I'm giving him one last chance because I love his football.
Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 8.02.29 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 8.03.20 pm.png

Is Stengle on track for an AA year or something? He kicked a nice goal in the Port win and was largely unsighted for the rest of the match. Isn’t contributing anymore than what Rowe is currently providing, especially taking into account the difference in overall quality and experience between the two teams.

Charlie Cameron is the only small forward that any Crows fan should be sad about losing, a genuine star, likely multiple AA and potential premiership winner; also capable of genuinely winning games for his team.

Is Stengle on track for an AA year or something? He kicked a nice goal in the Port win and was largely unsighted for the rest of the match. Isn’t contributing anymore than what Rowe is currently providing, especially taking into account the difference in overall quality and experience between the two teams.

Charlie Cameron is the only small forward that any Crows fan should be sad about losing, a genuine star, likely multiple AA and potential premiership winner; also capable of genuinely winning games for his team.
Well he's kicked more goals than any Crows player this season. And more goals than Rowe, Murphy and McHenry combined.

We lost a good player on principle. Was it worth it? Not by a longshot imho

He’s kicked 20 goals and is averaging 2 goals a game, on what planet are you comparing him to Rowe? Far out you post some sycophant crap.

Well he's kicked more goals than any Crows player this season. And more goals than Rowe, Murphy and McHenry combined.

We lost a good player on principle. Was it worth it? Not by a longshot imho
None of those 3 have played all games, especially Murphy. Why did you exclude Rachele?

How is not worth it? Having Stengle makes no difference to the success of our rebuild, so why does it matter?

Hopefully getting a wake up call like this early in his career means he doesn’t go down a similar path as Sam Fisher as well. I can’t imagine the clubs decision was purely about Stengle’s on field ability, they did try to help him get his life together off field as well and maybe all parties thought it was best he move on with a clean slate at a new club? I have no idea, none of us do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back