Opinion Non-Crows AFL 6: This Is Getting Cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly this magnificent event in the 1989 Grand Final would not occur now ......Brereton would have been concussioned out by Doctors ...the same Doctors who passed him fit to continue in 1989

So has medicine changed ....were doctors closing their eyes to concussion, due to team bias .....no doubt yes

It’s both. Players definitely had more power back then to make a call on whether they can play on. Medicine is a constantly changing science. Our “best approach” is in constant mode of updating.

Sadly this magnificent event in the 1989 Grand Final would not occur now ......Brereton would have been concussioned out by Doctors ...the same Doctors who passed him fit to continue in 1989

So has medicine changed ....were doctors closing their eyes to concussion, due to team bias .....no doubt yes

Magnificent event?

It’s a cheap shot that has rightly been driven out of the game

Magnificent event?

Watching the after effects of ongoing concussions as they present in later life in past players, it’s actually staggering how little protection they were afforded over this time. I’m fearful for Seedsman and really hope he makes the right call (not to play on).

Magnificent event?

Yes .....hence why it's shown over & over again .....and constantly referred to

I still loved old style footy .....yes even today

Do you have the same indignation over MMA Fighting .....I see that as thuggery, but I hardly hear any public condemnation or protests by the do gooders

Do you have the same indignation over MMA Fighting .....I see that as thuggery, but I hardly hear any public condemnation or protests by the do gooders
You obviously didn't play football in the 80s...

The difference between MMA and football is that the primary goal of MMA is to beat the s**t out of your opponent, it's a given when you step in to the octagon that's what is likely to happen. In footy, it was a by product of the game. An unintended but tolerated by product. The good news is, it's no longer tolerated.

When asked if he would continue at North Melbourne next year, Roos' answer was no surprise.

"No, and I think it's best for both parties to be honest."

"I've learned a lot, it's just reaffirmed my views on leadership and culture and all the things that I know, and things that if you don't get right, you're going to be a really bad footy team and that's what I've learned at North Melbourne."
How did he not learn that at Fitzroy?

The difference between MMA and football is that the primary goal of MMA is to beat the s**t out of your opponent, it's a given when you step in to the octagon that's what is likely to happen. In footy, it was a by product of the game. An unintended but tolerated by product. The good news is, it's no longer tolerated.
Absolutely I did .....but I was the high-flying glamour Full Forward ....just running into paddocks of space, or flying over packs ....all very safe

To be serious though .....there was a big difference between the Grave Danger and Ruccioto hits ......I also disapproved of Neil Kerley's quick elbow jabs ....going for high marks, arms in the air, and then a quick pull back of the elbow into your opponent's face ....saw him break Milsoms Jaw that way

I didn't even realise Paul Roos was at the Kangaroos.

Noble can't be that smart if he didn't want the continued assistance of a proven coach of a young squad...

Wasn't the issue that Paul Roos wasn't even prepared to be in Australia?

I thought he was only willing to be an assistant coach if he could still live in the USA? Not sure how that works. Time difference would be a killer, if nothing else.

You’re confusing historic and magnificent and the only magnificent bit about it was Dermies recovery and his influence on the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re confusing historic and magnificent and the only magnificent bit about it was Dermies recovery and his influence on the game
That recovery & goal was the aspect I was calling magnificent ......never heard anyone say the bump on Dermie was magnificent ......it was a pick-off, pure and simple .....what John Wynne would do :p

Yes but there were a few running around who would wake up and decide which of the two they would like to play on the day. You didn’t want to line up on Robbie Muir if he had a wedding or something on the following Saturday.

Oh come on Wynney would have only been protecting one of the younger players
Yeah like Balmey....

When Pigs Fly Animation GIF by Marie Chapuis

Reckon the big blokes get a bit of a bad wrap for just playing an enforcer role , the little blokes with sharp elbows did just as much damage .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back