Opinion Non-Crows AFL 6: This Is Getting Cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody hell and Hayes won’t be ready either

From that article..

St Kilda used mature-age recruit Jack Hayes as another target in attack in the early stages of last season after signing him during the pre-season supplemental selection period deadline, before the 25-year-old tore his anterior cruciate ligament in round six.

Hayes is nearing a return to full fitness, along with Nick Coffield, who underwent the same surgery in February.

From that article..

St Kilda used mature-age recruit Jack Hayes as another target in attack in the early stages of last season after signing him during the pre-season supplemental selection period deadline, before the 25-year-old tore his anterior cruciate ligament in round six.

Hayes is nearing a return to full fitness, along with Nick Coffield, who underwent the same surgery in February.
hope so for his sake

Must be a location thing? Like I said, I lived in north america for over 5 years and they all said gridiron. ??

I was just having dinner with some friends and I brought it up - the two men told me it was "super old school" and weren't surprised I'd hardly heard it. The two women claimed to have never heard the word gridiron before.

Maybe it's different in other areas, although all of us have lived in a few different parts of the country.

Last edited:
It is Gridiron that’s literally the name for the football code and all it’s versions played on a gridiron

Canadian football
American Football
College Football
XFL (whatever their rules are this time round)

all have variants on the rules, Are all Gridiron. Played on a gridiron

Just like Test Match, T20, 50 overs etc are all forms of cricket

My favorite sport is Aussie Rules football - wait no - its the 50 meter arc.

Gridiron is a nickname of the field. Its akin to calling the game of Ice Hockey "rink" or soccer "pitch".

Absolutely no one in America references NFL football as Gridiron. At most a few cringe worthy Aussie's call it that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have many American friends and former work colleagues who are massive football fans. One of them has a son who who a highly recruited Division one player in college

Every single one of them knows the game is Gridiron.

Just like we know the game isn’t called AFL.

British people know their game is called soccer, they know they invented the word, they choose to call it football.

This guy below is a former NFL General Manager, who learnt his trade under Bill’s Walsh, Parcells, Belichick, not to mention Al Davis.

Notice the title of the book he wrote about Walsh & Belichick. And yes I’ve read it, it’s fantastic

The game is played on a gridiron. It's a nickname of the field.

Now there is a very small chance it might have been a nickname of the sport prior to 1990 (according to Jenny/Sanders) - but since I have lived here since the early 1990's - I haven't heard 'American' Football referred to as Gridiron once.

I may as well say soccer is called "Pitch" and reference Nick Hornsby's novel Fever Pitch about soccer and then use the blog "the pitch" out of cincinatti to show how its proof the game is called "the pitch" Blog | The Pitch

The game is played on a gridiron. It's a nickname of the field.

Now there is a very small chance it might have been a nickname of the sport prior to 1990 (according to Jenny/Sanders) - but since I have lived here since the early 1990's - I haven't heard 'American' Football referred to as Gridiron once.

I may as well say soccer is called "Pitch" and reference Nick Hornsby's novel Fever Pitch about soccer and then use the blog "the pitch" out of cincinatti to show how its proof the game is called "the pitch" Blog | The Pitch
You can not be that dumb, surely

I have many American friends and former work colleagues who are massive football fans. One of them has a son who who a highly recruited Division one player in college

Every single one of them knows the game is Gridiron.

This is 1000% bullshit! And gotta know it. Its a big world out there and ain't now way your highly recruited Div 1 athlete has even heard the word gridiron.

Nobody and I mean nobody in the USA calls NFL - Gridiron. Its the exact reason that all of your references are obscure. Random blogs looking for a name and settling on a nickname for the field.

Must be a location thing? Like I said, I lived in north america for over 5 years and they all said gridiron. ??

Nobody in California calls it Gridiron.

Maybe consult my good buddy Mr Mirriam Webster.

Those are the weakest links ever!

A movie thats 18 years old that nobody has ever heard of and an Australian EBAY link that differentiates NFL from other codes by having a product listing under "gridiron".

A movie thats 18 years old that nobody has ever heard of and an Australian EBAY link that differentiates NFL from other codes by having a product listing under "gridiron".

You should get editing on the American football Wikipedia page and remove all the gridiron references since no one uses that name

The fact is that there are numerous codes which are referred to as "football" in their home markets. In areas where they are non-dominant sports, they are referred to by other names, to differentiate them from the dominant code.

In NSW & QLD, football is Rugby League - Rugby Union is Union, Australian Rules is AFL.
In England, football is Association Football - referred to in Australia as Soccer.
In the USA, football is NFL - referred to in Australia (and elsewhere) as Gridiron.

Note that the terms AFL & Australian Rules have become interchangeable, despite the game being Australian Rules and AFL being the peak competition. This is due to the AFL's persistent marketing attempts, to make its competition name synonymous with the sport itself.

The debate isn’t how popular the name is in America. Everyone calls their favourite football code footy or football.
Rugby, soccer, whatever. Hardly anyone calls footy here Aussie rules but that’s what it is, and what you’d call it to explain to someone from overseas who doesn’t know the difference between codes.

American football is gridiron, it’s a fact.

You should get editing on the American football Wikipedia page and remove all the gridiron references since no one uses that name

The same Wikipedia that called Mathew Leckie the Father of Denmark?

Or the same Wikipedia that said Mitchell Duke was raised in the outback by kangaroos and would often fight them, especially over a tasty sausage on the bbq. He has one son named Tunisia.

Maybe I will skip that and live a happy life without referencing a crowd edited website as fact.

The debate isn’t how popular the name is in America. Everyone calls their favourite football code footy or football.
Rugby, soccer, whatever. Hardly anyone calls footy here Aussie rules but that’s what it is, and what you’d call it to explain to someone from overseas who doesn’t know the difference between codes.

American football is gridiron, it’s a fact.

I guess we will have to disagree.

But - you walk into a major city in America and ask who someones favorite gridiron team is - 9/10 aren't going to have any idea what the F*ck you are talking about.

The fact is that there are numerous codes which are referred to as "football" in their home markets. In areas where they are non-dominant sports, they are referred to by other names, to differentiate them from the dominant code.

In NSW & QLD, football is Rugby League - Rugby Union is Union, Australian Rules is AFL.
In England, football is Association Football - referred to in Australia as Soccer.
In the USA, football is NFL - referred to in Australia (and elsewhere) as Gridiron.

Note that the terms AFL & Australian Rules have become interchangeable, despite the game being Australian Rules and AFL being the peak competition. This is due to the AFL's persistent marketing attempts, to make its competition name synonymous with the sport itself.
Well, maybe they should standardise and soccer is called football because the foot is used to kick the ball the majority of the time.

Rugby can be called tackleball cos that's what they do most. Gridiron can be called throwball cos there's always a guy throwing it to someone. Aussie Rules can be called limbball cos both hands and feet are used to dispose of the ball. Golf is stickball, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back