DJ75

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I'm sorry, but if Geelong are able to add Hopper, Henry and Bowers (on $800k+), then I'm fully out on this competition. I won't bother renewing my membership and won't bother watching any more games.
There is not a chance in hell that Geelong are under the salary cap. I doubt they are under 2 salary caps. Yet somehow they have space to add Bowers massively overinflated deal? WTF?
It's been obvious for some time that there are some dodgy dealings happening down Geelong way. No doubt in my mind that there are a heap of partners/family members being paid good $$ for dubious jobs. The fact that the VFL sit back and allow it to happen, without doing any sort of investigation, is a disgrace.

Vader

Sith Lord
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I think he’s suggesting given the secret formula, they may have been more likely to give us a pick after our first had we finished higher on the ladder.
Yeah... there's very little doubt that the secret herbs & spices involve more than just age, salary & length of contract (which is what the AFL says it is). Perceived value definitely comes into it, and perceptions are definitely biased towards Victorian clubs.

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
You forget that it was the Crows involved though. The VFL want nothing more than to restrict us.
They will happily help Port out.
Brandon Ellis (26yo) deal of $600k for 5 years and received band 3 (i.e. 2nd round pick). I'd suggest that's around the mark for Amon, but we know the AFL make this up as they go to facilitate player moves (e.g. Rockliff, Ablett), so who knows how it will end.

Amon (27yo) 4 year deal on "up to $650k" is similar to the Rockliff one Port are probably referring to which netted Brisbane an end of first round compo.

DJ75

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Brandon Ellis (26yo) deal of $600k for 5 years and received band 3 (i.e. 2nd round pick). I'd suggest that's around the mark for Amon, but we know the AFL make this up as they go to facilitate player moves (e.g. Rockliff, Ablett), so who knows how it will end.

Amon (27yo) 4 year deal on "up to $650k" is similar to the Rockliff one Port are probably referring to which netted Brisbane an end of first round compo.

How much was B Crouch offered? On how many years?

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Hahaha...brad crouch was being paid similar and it was band 3...you are not getting a 1st round compo pick for amon

Of corse they will, Port Powah are on the AFL teat.

The AFL know how fickle their bandwagon supporters are, look at the easy fixture they get each season.

This year they finally get a fixture somewhat befitting a top 4 finishing team and look what happens.

If Port aren't going well on field it costs the AFL more to prop them up.

We have the same stadium deal, we're in the same market but they get 2-4 million more than us each and every year from the AFL.

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
How much was B Crouch offered? On how many years?
"Despite widespread reports, SEN.com.au can reveal Crouch stands to earn more than $700,000 a season at St Kilda.

But the Crows have been hurt by the fact the AFL only accepts guaranteed money as a starting point in determining its compensation.

Crouch’s St Kilda contract is for four years with a trigger for a fifth. It is a low games-played trigger, but it is in the deal.

There is also games-played incentives for Crouch, which also have a low threshold, but again takes money off the guaranteed table for a player who has, at times, struggled to stay injury-free."

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hahaha...brad crouch was being paid similar and it was band 3...you are not getting a 1st round compo pick for amon

I don't know if SEN are quoting the same interview or not, but this appears more reasonable from Davies:

“We’re not 100 per cent sure at the moment. We’ll let things play out but I think it’s got to be close to a first-round, if not an end of first-round selection.

“No one really knows where these things are going to end. We don’t really know but I imagine it will be a first or second-round selection.

DJ75

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
"Despite widespread reports, SEN.com.au can reveal Crouch stands to earn more than $700,000 a season at St Kilda.

But the Crows have been hurt by the fact the AFL only accepts guaranteed money as a starting point in determining its compensation.

Crouch’s St Kilda contract is for four years with a trigger for a fifth. It is a low games-played trigger, but it is in the deal.

There is also games-played incentives for Crouch, which also have a low threshold, but again takes money off the guaranteed table for a player who has, at times, struggled to stay injury-free."

That's actually a disgrace and you can be certain would not have been allowed if we were the club recruiting a player and tried the same.

Dudersaurus

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's actually a disgrace and you can be certain would not have been allowed if we were the club recruiting a player and tried the same.
I think it has to be in, to stop blatant abuse.

Otherwise clubs can set up sweetheart trades with a reciprocal FA contract to pay for it.

ie if Mat Crouch was FA now, we could get GC to offer him a 2 year contract with trigger for 5 if he plays 22 games per year. Base salary 300k, with $1mill pa bonus if he wins Coleman.

He goes to GC on a 5-year $1.3mill pa contract. We get pick 6, give to GC for Rankine. GC cut him 2 years later having paid $600k.

Geoffa32

TheBrownDog
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Of corse they will, Port Powah are on the AFL teat.

The AFL know how fickle their bandwagon supporters are, look at the easy fixture they get each season.

This year they finally get a fixture somewhat befitting a top 4 finishing team and look what happens.

If Port aren't going well on field it costs the AFL more to prop them up.

We have the same stadium deal, we're in the same market but they get 2-4 million more than us each and every year from the AFL.
Bingo.

They will get an end of first rounder for Aamon.

WCE will essentially receive for Rioli.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scorpus

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm sorry, but if Geelong are able to add Hopper, Henry and Bowers (on $800k+), then I'm fully out on this competition. I won't bother renewing my membership and won't bother watching any more games.
There is not a chance in hell that Geelong are under the salary cap. I doubt they are under 2 salary caps. Yet somehow they have space to add Bowers massively overinflated deal? WTF?
It's been obvious for some time that there are some dodgy dealings happening down Geelong way. No doubt in my mind that there are a heap of partners/family members being paid good $$ for dubious jobs. The fact that the VFL sit back and allow it to happen, without doing any sort of investigation, is a disgrace.

When you have so many 30+ year olds you have basically no one on long term deals or that you need to factor in paying in the future.

Geelong should have the capacity to hand out long deals (5+ years) and still fit under the salary cap easily

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50BC

Debutant
Aug 31, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
My memory was Brad Crouch offer was originally thought to be 700k+. But then turned out to be 600-650k + match bonus and SSP. Pretty much exactly what Amon is rumoured to have been offered.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
This article is supposedly about the “unique pay structure” that lets Geelong have superstars but still be active in trading in more top end players

It’s Kane Cornes saying that basically they pay these stars less than they could get elsewhere! “Not much more than base payments.”

So - is it just climate that these guys love about Geelong that means they play for a third of their true worth? The sunshine? The surf??

Can’t be, because he takes a swipe at how much Gold Coast have to pay by comparison to try to attract and keep players. And they’ve got plenty of sun and surf..

Hmm, I wonder what else it could be Kane that allows Geelong to pay all these superstars way under their market value… what could it possibly be..

It’s a total mystery..😑

George Kramer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
This article is supposedly about the “unique pay structure” that lets Geelong have superstars but still be active in trading in more top end players

It’s Kane Cornes saying that basically they pay these stars less than they could get elsewhere! “Not much more than base payments.”

So - is it just climate that these guys love about Geelong that means they play for a third of their true worth? The sunshine? The surf??

Can’t be, because he takes a swipe at how much Gold Coast have to pay by comparison to try to attract and keep players. And they’ve got plenty of sun and surf..

Hmm, I wonder what else it could be Kane that allows Geelong to pay all these superstars way under their market value… what could it possibly be..

It’s a total mystery..😑

How these idiots fall this spin and don't ask questions.

Yes a star towards the end of their careers might accept less but not one in a prime. Plus recruits aren't coming for peanuts.

Bearded Clam

Premium Platinum
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Amon is also a year older than most usual players when they hit Free Agency..

Which counts against him in the FA compo calculation..

Given brisbane and essendon worked out that Daniher needed to be paid $835k a year to qualify for Band 1 compo then Amon would need to be up around $900k a year to gain Port band 1 compo..

Davies is fxxkn dreaming..

Entitled01

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are going to trust Eddie given he has been subject to variable levels of racism most of his life as opposed to white privileged individuals who get upset if their coffee is too hot etc.
Are we going to lay the same stereotypical assumptions on the oldies as the oldies, according to your example, have been laid on Eddie?

Remove this Banner Ad