News Non-Crows AFLW 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Commentary in this game is appalling

Will our women have to isolate now Perth has gone into a 5 day lockdown or will they just have to be tested and monitored?

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Will our women have to isolate now Perth has gone into a 5 day lockdown or will they just have to be tested and monitored?

The hard lockdown doesnā€™t start until 6 pm which seems like the flight they will be on leaves at 5.20 pm Perth time.

Gee the PA system at Freo Oval needs work

I think theyā€™ll be fine. 6:00pm WST is 8:30pm Adelaide time, and theyā€™re on a chartered flight with GWS (currently playing). Iā€™d say the team will be locked down until they get on the plane though...and GWS will most likely be bolting to the airport once this game is over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS and us confirmed on the same flight out of WA at the conclusion of the Giants game, beating the lockdown.

At this stage, we havenā€™t shut the border to WA, and one of the reasons you can leave your home in Perth is for work, so theoretically, they can still train as normal and fly in next weekend (when the lockdown is over).

I think, however, the AFL will either rejig the fixture again so they play a derby, and us v GWS next weekend, or theyā€™ll send West Coast and Freo to Adelaide early before any border restrictions kick in.

GWS and us confirmed on the same flight out of WA at the conclusion of the Giants game, beating the lockdown.

At this stage, we havenā€™t shut the border to WA, and one of the reasons you can leave your home in Perth is for work, so theoretically, they can still train as normal and fly in next weekend (when the lockdown is over).

I think, however, the AFL will either rejig the fixture again so they play a derby, and us v GWS next weekend, or theyā€™ll send West Coast and Freo to Adelaide early before any border restrictions kick in.
Could be some interesting conversations on the flight after the Irish girls comments in the media.

I don't get at all why she feels that way. All the force was from her own momentum, Ebony is not required to get out of her way.

I think sometimes when you are trying to recover from something traumatic you just want to place the blame somewhere else and then see "justice" be done to help you move on. Now she feels like that has been taken away from her.

It probably doesn't help that places like Twitter and Bigfooty keep talking about how she probably caused the incident by not knowing how to collect the ball safely. So now she also feels like she has to defend herself from there too.

Honestly, from my viewing of the incident it wasn't her fault or Marinoff's fault. Just a freak accident.

I think sometimes when you are trying to recover from something traumatic you just want to place the blame somewhere else and then see "justice" be done to help you move on. Now she feels like that has been taken away from her.

It probably doesn't help that places like Twitter and Bigfooty keep talking about how she probably caused the incident by not knowing how to collect the ball safely. So now she also feels like she has to defend herself from there too.

Honestly, from my viewing of the incident it wasn't her fault or Marinoff's fault. Just a freak accident.

I feel very sorry for Brid Stack - it must be a very frightening thing to have happen.

I do have less sympathy for 2 other parties.

Surely GWS have a comms manager? Who thought it would be a good idea for someone who admits to feeling aggrieved, to be given a forum to vent? It's not well thought through to suggest at the same time that Adelaide's evidence was "laughable" but that she wasn't really following the tribunal feed (" The news came up on a strapline across the bottom of the screen at the end of the third quarter [of the match between Carlton and Collingwood]"). A good media/comms set up would have found a way to express dissatisfaction at the outcome while protecting the player at a time while she is clearly feeling vulnerable.

There's also a problem with the Appeals Board. To quote the article from the AFLW website, " The Appeals Board took 40 minutes to deliberate on the appeal and said it would provide written reasons for its finding in due course." So what are the reasons? Was it the evidence that Eb was trying to slow or stop? Was it that 3 weeks was disproportionate compared to the AFL-M season length? Was it the letter from Daisy? It's got to exacerbate Stark's lack of closure that 5 days later the reasons for the successful appeal remain unsaid.

Stack wanted Marinoff punished and has shown she is unwilling to accept any responsibility for her role in the incident. She is looking to blame others rather than face reality that at best it was an accident, and at worst she contributed to her own injury.

Looking at the incident then claiming she wanted Marnioff to be found to have shown no duty of care is wrong. It's an offensive statement that shows little understanding of the game of AFL and the reality of injuries in this sport.

I'm sure Stack is feeling terrible about having a broken neck as anyone would be. But the people around her should be counselling her appropriately that it was an unlucky accident, rather than a failure of another player. Stoking the rage that it was an unjust outcome and that someone should have been punished is not going to be healthy moving forward.

I agree that GWS comms manager failed as well. Allowing Stack to add fuel to the fire and set herself alight in a public forum will only increase the amount of vitriol directed her way, not reduce it. GWS comms manager should have assessed the public reaction to the incident and, considering support was widely in favor of reducing/removing the suspension, kept quiet or released a more simple reaction to the appeal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back