News Non-Crows AFLW 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t bother to watch the AFL Grand Final today. The umpiring biases makes it all an invalid contest, as far as I’m concerned.

It’s a shame how I feel about AFLW at the moment. The spectacle is improving with the skills, but the umpiring remains as woeful as ever, with too many AFL hidden agendas which ain’t too subtle.

Got to say, Brisbane must be glad they managed to get a flag over us in 2021. Four grand finals for three losses is not a great record to have.
Aside from the poor umpiring it seemed like they drank their own bathwater at quarter time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As widely expected, Daisy Pearce has retired. As much as it was sometimes irritating to see the outsized attention she got compared to some other superstars of AFLW, she was a great player and a trailblazer for women's footy. Congrats to her for going out on top :thumbsu:

A legend of the game - what a resume she has, and deserves to go out on a high.

Of course, the usual insecure males are out taking pot shots at her. They’re just jealous.

It's the media bias that infuriates me.

Players like her and Mo Hope were very very good VFLw players. But their AFLw careers wern't the best.

Talk about naming medals after her?

**** off

League b+f should be named after Susan Alberti
Norm Smith should be named after Erin Phillips

Daisy was a great state league player and she lived off that in the national competition without ever being spectacular.

Though, I do feel she deserves her media role more than Abby Holmes. She only got it because she's pretty on the eyes with a basic understanding of the game. Daisy at least can contribute.

You're being a bit harsh, I think. Daisy was a very good player at AFLW level. In the 2017 season she was clearly the second-best player in the league, and she was a huge contributor to Melbourne's 2022 flag. And then there is the whole leadership side of things where we have only the glowing reviews of her teammates to go on.

Mo Hope shouldn't even enter in the same discussion. If anything she's much more akin to Abbey Holmes, a dominant state-league player who was a contributor at best at AFLW level.

The issue with the media coverage of Daisy Pearce isn't that it was superfluous, it's that it seemed almost exclusive to her.

Please tell me someone has seen the goal umpiring display in this Geelong/Dogs game, Hoskin-esque. Close goal looks like it was called a point in the 2nd and now a shot looks to have cleared the line and/or been tapped back into play and was called a touched behind. Both to Geelong so it doesn’t effect the result but still 😂

didn't richmond knock brisbane off by a goal last season?

By four points, yes. 1.8.14 to 2.6.18.

Perhaps Richmond is the inexplicable bogey side for Brisbane in the same way that the Bulldogs have been for the Crows?

Although they did then back that up with a win over Richmond in the qualifying final (39 to 22).

Edit: I'm probably underestimating Richmond. I'd forgotten that last season after losing the first two rounds (to us and Geelong) they then went undefeated all the way to the finals (where they were bundled out in straight sets).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back