MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL Discussion - 2017 - Finals. And yes , again its non Dees discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
can someone tell why North got a womens team ahead of others? just curious
The offer to base it in Tasmania perhaps? Gesture to a neglected area, nuts about AFL, that don’t have their own AFL team...

Pure guess on my part.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
can someone tell why North got a womens team ahead of others? just curious
Probably one of two reasons (or a combination of both):

1) They have been heavily involved in women's football through Melbourne Uni's women's team before AFLW became a big thing, and the AFL wants to reward that effort ahead of the johnny come latelys who want a piece of the pie now it's been proven as a successful endeavour (Essendon, Hawthorn).

2) The AFL wants to ship North off to Tassie and this is part of their master plan.

Ablett2Garland

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2015
10 Beers deep with Steven May
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
San Jose Sharks, Oakland Raiders
Probably one of two reasons (or a combination of both):

1) They have been heavily involved in women's football through Melbourne Uni's women's team before AFLW became a big thing, and the AFL wants to reward that effort ahead of the johnny come latelys who want a piece of the pie now it's been proven as a successful endeavour (Essendon, Hawthorn).

2) The AFL wants to ship North off to Tassie and this is part of their master plan.

I see, I knew they were involved in womens football somewhere.

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
Im i the only person here who thought that Hunt was considerably unlucky not to be in the final 3 of the GOTY contenders.
All these pocket, dribbler goals that Daicos made famous are performed at least 3 times a round.

Hunts was something we dont typically see; an excellent Torp at that. He got onto it, like Blighty.
Was a thing of beauty.

Buddy, Betts kick goals form the boundary, 70m runs, dribblers or Checksides,
Bring back the Torp
Rioli only won GOTY because his last name was Rioli.

Im i the only person here who thought that Hunt was considerably unlucky not to be in the final 3 of the GOTY contenders.
All these pocket, dribbler goals that Daicos made famous are performed at least 3 times a round.

Hunts was something we dont typically see; an excellent Torp at that. He got onto it, like Blighty.
Was a thing of beauty.

Buddy, Betts kick goals form the boundary, 70m runs, dribblers or Checksides,
Bring back the Torp
Rioli only won GOTY because his last name was Rioli.
And Richmond fans spammed the voting probably too

Too flakey I reckon mate. Don't play with any substance and their 6th place finish was as bad a 6th as you will see. Also hardly had any injuries this year.
Think this is it. Assuming they get JW, if he, Motlop plus their existing flakes like Hoff, Polec, Hartlett show up they will be unstoppable.

If they don't they will be ordinary.

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
And Richmond fans spammed the voting probably too
But thats where its wrong. We need a panel, just like we have panel that decide the Norm Smith award.
(I need more time to put into this but for starters if a panel was assembled it should be comprised of: Carey, Jacovich, Ablett, Hudson, Dunstall, Daicos.
im only suggesting 6 ex forwards)

Dont let the fans decide, otherwise no matter how talened a player may be or good his goal may be, smaller clubs with less fans base are no chance to win awards like this.

I'd be interested to know what Adelaide are paying Gibbs, given that to get him, they in essence gave up what they got for Lever who they traded because they refused to pay him circa 750k. Especially when Lever has 10-12 years in front of him vs Gibbs who has 4-5 at best.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Has any team ever had both 100 point win and a 100 point loss in a single season before? Because I could see Port doing that next year.

Love beating up rubbish teams, but get violated by most of the good ones. Motlop and Watts will add to the list of players they have who only turn up to play occasionally.

Last edited:
Has any team ever had both 100 point win and a 100 point loss in a single season before? Because I could see Port doing that next year.

Love beating up rubbish teams, but get violated by most of the good ones. Motlop and Watts will add to the list of players they have who only turn up to play occasionally.
We had a 96 point win and a 186 point loss in the same year

Garry Ablett before trade week "I'm desperate to go home, if i don't get home i'll retire"
Garry Ablett after trade week "Well i'm home now, time to go on an overseas holiday"

I think his sister dying was proof he was legitimate with his reasons...
Yes, but i still think he took off very quickly. Honestly if it where me i don't think i could bring myself to leave at a difficult time, especially when the family is quite fragile as it is.

But then again i shouldn't judge such things

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Some of us called Spencer the great Survivor, Cheney takes it next level.

Never hated the bloke though, isn't the best but gives his all
Yeah, you'll always know what you get with him, and he'll take on anyone regardless of size, or talent difference. Going into his 11th year of AFL footy at his 3rd club, certainly nothing to be sneezed at.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah, you'll always know what you get with him, and he'll take on anyone regardless of size, or talent difference. Going into his 11th year of AFL footy at his 3rd club, certainly nothing to be sneezed at.

What odds could you have taken 10 years ago that Cheney would out lady Jack Grimes as a defender at AFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back