MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL Discussion - 2017 - Finals. And yes , again its non Dees discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote of the day from Dwayne Russell (having a biased moment) "Of course they're (Geelong) in the window, they got Touhy"

I've never laughed out loud watching a footy game

Quote of the day from Dwayne Russell (having a biased moment) "Of course they're (Geelong) in the window, they got Touhy"

I've never laughed out loud watching a footy game
Yeah, I wish we could have gotten Touhy ... but we'll just have to settle with Lewis ...

You guys actually know if you have a dish and ya mate has foxtel get him to get extra box in another room costing 15bucks. Then take that box to your house chuck the campaigner on and she works sling him some coin ******* Bobs ya uncle.

I dont actually do this cause im sure its illegal...

was talking to a mate about greatest players ever seen, i said Wayne Carey. My friend disagreed and was kinda puzzled with my answer. but, i doubt he watched much AFL back in the 90s. what do you guys think RE Duck?

was talking to a mate about greatest players ever seen, i said Wayne Carey. My friend disagreed and was kinda puzzled with my answer. but, i doubt he watched much AFL back in the 90s. what do you guys think RE Duck?

Its always subjective, but I would think anyone who doesn't have duck in there in top 3 best ever players probably doesn't understand footy
Gary Ablett Senior and Leigh Matthews also have pretty good cases

Its always subjective, but I would think anyone who doesn't have duck in there in top 3 best ever players probably doesn't understand footy
I was at Melbourne uni in 95 when Kouta had that amazing season. Used to go down to Prinny Park at 3/4 time just to watch him. He was having games at CHB where he was taking 15 marks, a stack of them contested, and getting 35 possessions plus kicking goals. I don't know if anyone has ever dominated games like that stretch he played.
But yeah the Duck's the best I've seen. He was such an intimidating player. He had Dean Wallis absolutely bluffed and Wallis was a tough guy against everyone else. Mathews was before my time but must have been a gun to win so many B and F's and players association awards.

I was at Melbourne uni in 95 when Kouta had that amazing season. Used to go down to Prinny Park at 3/4 time just to watch him. He was having games at CHB where he was taking 15 marks, a stack of them contested, and getting 35 possessions plus kicking goals. I don't know if anyone has ever dominated games like that stretch he played.
But yeah the Duck's the best I've seen. He was such an intimidating player. He had Dean Wallis absolutely bluffed and Wallis was a tough guy against everyone else. Mathews was before my time but must have been a gun to win so many B and F's and players association awards.

I think unfortunately for Kouta his longetivity goes against him but for raw talent he sits with anyone in history

I have heard Glenn Archer say that despite him standing up to Carey in the Stevens game that Duck would have had him easily, was apparently a gun boxer as well as a footballer

Best ever from the past 40 years...

Probably a good few old codgers who have a completely different all time top three.

I'm more a greatest of their era man than greatest of all time. How can footballers (or sports people in general) from recent times really be compared to those from the 20's and 30's?

"Best ever" based on what ? Impact , influence , kicking over 100 goals a season (won't see that again) ? . Most spectacular ? Even the rules of the game are different . I agree with Klyntonius as it should be "Best of their generation "

Robert Harvey would be the greatest player who looks like an accountant of all time.

Best ever from the past 40 years...

Probably a good few old codgers who have a completely different all time top three.

I'm more a greatest of their era man than greatest of all time. How can footballers (or sports people in general) from recent times really be compared to those from the 20's and 30's?

Fair enough, best of the last 50 years probably
I was more making the point that old mate who scoffed at Carey being up there was a bit silly

So many guns: Ablett Snr, Ablett Jnr, Voss, Brown, Buckley, Hird, Fletcher, Lockett, Dunstall, Judd, Hodge, Mitchell, Carey, McLeod, Mathews, Pavlich, Kouta, Williams, Buddy, Selwood, Matera...

Very hard to compare them. If I could have just one I'd look very closely at big plugger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of curiosity, who is everyone favourite player/s that don't wear red and blue?

I can't go past GAJ and Buddy. The two clear best players since 2000 IMO, they make any game watchable. From the younger ones coming through I love the Bont, * he is the only player in the AFL I'd consider trading Hogan for.

So many guns: Ablett Snr, Ablett Jnr, Voss, Brown, Buckley, Hird, Fletcher, Lockett, Dunstall, Judd, Hodge, Mitchell, Carey, McLeod, Mathews, Pavlich, Kouta, Williams, Buddy, Selwood, Matera...

Very hard to compare them. If I could have just one I'd look very closely at big plugger.
Reckon he would spend half the season suspended with the way the game is umpired these days but a true power forward (to use modern speak)

Reckon he would spend half the season suspended with the way the game is umpired these days but a true power forward (to use modern speak)
And such a beautiful kick. You didn't often see it but pluggers field kicking was as good as it gets. And if Carey was intimidating (and he was) plugger was straight up dangerous and menacing.

Out of curiosity, who is everyone favourite player/s that don't wear red and blue?

I can't go past GAJ and Buddy. The two clear best players since 2000 IMO, they make any game watchable. From the younger ones coming through I love the Bont, **** he is the only player in the AFL I'd consider trading Hogan for.
Would have to say Dangerfield. So dominant and powerful at the stoppages. Another one that is already one of my favourites and this is a little from left field is Fantasia. So electric when he's in the forward line and I think he could become one of the premier small forwards in the comp.

I can't go past GAJ and Buddy. The two clear best players since 2000 IMO, they make any game watchable. From the younger ones coming through I love the Bont, **** he is the only player in the AFL I'd consider trading Hogan for.
It was the Pav, now i gotta find someone new

Best I've ever seen as a player in the flesh (and still remains one of my favourite players) is Hird.

Robert Harvey would be the greatest player who looks like an accountant of all time.
An accountant who is part time serial killer

GAJ at his best is breathtaking. I think while he has been injured people forget how good he is. Fyfe in full flight is some of the best football I have seen recently. Buddy is a freak. And I have a soft spot for Pendles too.

I've always had a penchant for blokes who play tough
Jake Stringer is my favorite non dee, he is a throwback to an era when every kid wasn't exactly the same
Also love Steven May, he would have killed some campaigners if he started playing in 2001 not 2011 Byron Pickett style
Like Mitch Robinson as well, with Selwood probably the only bloke in the AFL who could match Viney on a ground ball

I miss the real loose units you used to get, Plugger was one and then someone like Fraser Gehrig who used to make the game more interesting because he was almost a villain like character like the movies, the AFL themselves seem to have forgotten it's an entertainment business and not a political forum

I like the off field personalities as well, a shame that Swanny retired because in this world of people scared to be themselves for fear of offending someone he was a breath of fresh air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back