MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL Discussion - 2017 - Finals. And yes , again its non Dees discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair warning, you are on the Melbourne board in an MFC Fans Only thread.

And honestly...I couldn't disagree more.

Myers has missed virtually 2 years.
Watson and Colyer 18 months.
All of Stanton, Hocking, Heppell 12 months.

There is no way that the remaining 11 players all return at 100% match speed. No way. How many players rip right back into their previous form after that long out of the game?
My bad I see now it says Melbourne supporters only. This will be my last reply then. We were competitive in many halves last season. Won three games and came close in a few more. With young players like Merrett, Parish doing more grunt work than they should due to lack of mature inside mids. Zaharakis had to play inside a lot more too. I don't expect all of the missing players to come back and be 100%. But I think you underestimate how much we will improve with only some of those guys. Put in a couple of big mature bodies out of Watson, Heppell, Myers, Hocking etc and it will free up those other guys. Being out of the game for so long may affect them to some degree sure. I think its exaggerated though. These are seasoned professionals who are training very well and are looking like they are up to speed, fitness wise. It might take them a few real games to get used to AFL footy again, and a few more to gel as a team. Doubt we will make the eight. But I completely disagree that we lack midfield depth. For that to be the case most of our older and returning players need to fall in a hole. As well as our youth not progressing.
And I don't anticipate many of them being cooked. Maybe a couple. We will see I guess.

My bad I see now it says Melbourne supporters only. This will be my last reply then. We were competitive in many halves last season. Won three games and came close in a few more. With young players like Merrett, Parish doing more grunt work than they should due to lack of mature inside mids. Zaharakis had to play inside a lot more too. I don't expect all of the missing players to come back and be 100%. But I think you underestimate how much we will improve with only some of those guys. Put in a couple of big mature bodies out of Watson, Heppell, Myers, Hocking etc and it will free up those other guys. Being out of the game for so long may affect them to some degree sure. I think its exaggerated though. These are seasoned professionals who are training very well and are looking like they are up to speed, fitness wise. It might take them a few real games to get used to AFL footy again, and a few more to gel as a team. Doubt we will make the eight. But I completely disagree that we lack midfield depth. For that to be the case most of our older and returning players need to fall in a hole. As well as our youth not progressing.
And I don't anticipate many of them being cooked. Maybe a couple. We will see I guess.

I disagree with you but don't think you've said anything overly outrageous, Essendon are the biggest unknown in 2017 and it'll be intriguing to see how they go.

Talk me through Geelong being 4th? They went into last years Prelim with ...

HF: Steven Motlop - Mark Blicavs - Josh Cowan
F: Lincoln McCarthy - Tom Hawkins - Jimmy Bartel

By my reckoning, thats 1 KPF, 2 small forwards, 1 medium forward who has kicked a total of 5 goals in his 15 career games, 1 midfielder who is stashed there so he could go 3rd man up, and 1 player who has retired. I'm not sure if the addition of Aaron Black improves them or weakens them at this point. I'd put them between Port and Freo.

Also, Brisbane are a bit stiff to not even make the list!!
Forgot Brisbane, but then again that's a statement in itself

Kinda did just dump geelong there, You're right, probably should be lower

I think a big thing about Essendon will be how driven they will collectively be next year. The banned players will be out to prove a point, so I think they might be able to find another wind/gear in some games next year. Top 4 is an over exaggerattion, but they hard to place. It's a very unique situation.

Dogs' forward line is Cram with 12months out, Stringer woefully out of form, Boyd and Cloke. Hmm.

Port have Dixon who was fully fit and Wingard. That's it.

MFC has Hogan, Watts, Garlett and Kent who all kicked 25+ last year. We're young and we lack a second KPF right now but we're still damaging.
Ya say 12 months out like he done his knee and hasnt been training lets get real here he will be coming back in the best shape he has ever been in with no niggles while missing out on a flag. Ya reckon he is just gonna be coasting? He is going to be a man possessed. We cant sit here and go oh Hibberd is gonna make us so much better yet Crameri isnt cause he had 12 months out? Ya also missed deadeye Dickson plus the fact they have any one of there 18 mids rolling through there. Id take Wingard over the 3 of them n play 2 players short. I just reckon our FWD line isnt that great. Might help with a midfield/half backs that can actually kick

Gary Ablett Snr went close, with his antics including the drug overdose death of the young girl he was with.

Social media wasn't as prevalent back then and the level of media consumed was far less.

Ricky Nixon gave it a good crack too.
Ablett was never viewed as the model citizen even while playing though, that's the difference to Hird imo.

Personally, I think Essendon look really good on paper. Yes, some of the returnees might be a bit flat right from the beginning, but by round 10 everyone should be up to scratch.
They have a few conundrums though. One is where to play Tippa and Hooker, who are serviceable swingmen but much better in their preferred positions.
Personally, I would like to see them play Tippa and Hooker down back and stray away from mediocrity like Baguley and Hartley. Fair play to Hartley doing his best down back this year, but his kicking isn't outstanding and he is a pure stopper, something Hooker is better at.
This leads to the second problem, which is their forward line. It's not ideal to have James Stewart automatically walk into the side at Full-Forward. IMO they need to give as much of a chance as he deserves though. Brown is not AFL standard, neither is Ambrose up forward at least. Since they have a plethora of inside midfielders in Myers, Zaharakis, Merrett, Heppell etc. throwing Watson down there could do the job. But this is another problem in itself. Watson is their only elite midfielder, and one of the few players in the AFL who has game changing ability.
Essendon needs to decide between having solid coverage all over the field(which is not going to be enough for top eight this season with Port, Freo, Hawthorn, Geelong, Dee's, Saints all contending for two spots) or quality in midfield and defence, and potentially lacking another key forward.

That being said, our team is also lacking a key forward and our key defenders aren't as strong as Hooker Hurley, so I think Essendon, with the right coaching decisions, have just as good a chance to make the eight as we do. We have much more upside in the end, but they, next year, will be a strong contender for the eight.

What Ablett did was far worse than Hird. He really ought to still be in jail. 'Only gave her a bit of heroin' - what a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Ablett did was far worse than Hird. He really ought to still be in jail. 'Only gave her a bit of heroin' - what a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What did i miss?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarryd Roughead named new Hawks skipper
Big move ... you'd have thought returning from a year out of the game for cancer treatment, he'd have enough on his plate. But it's probably a reflection of both the type of guy he is, but also where their list is at, that they've relied on Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis etc to carry the leadership mantle for so long, that there aren't any obvious successors that have a bit less going on than Roughie.

Was very much prized to make the move before he had cancer. Still posses great leadership, but now is more inspiring to his teammates

I've just been for a stalk in the Dusty Martin thread on the Richmond board. Good to see them all full of pragmatic hope that he's merely just ensuring he gets the best contract he can. Citing Hogan as a perfect example, but ignoring that Hogan still had another year on his contract when he eventually did sign, and also wasn't a Free Agent.

Interesting that a few places - SEN and HS are reporting that he's put talks on hold, yet other places are saying his manager met with Richmond today, some great quality journalism at play there.

My gut feel is he's gone, was happy to tour GWS facilities before they didn't want a bar of him when he was glimpses of potential wrapped up in a trouble making package, now he's a star, can't see why he wouldn't go somewhere with money and promise of success ... somewhere like St Kilda for example.

I've just been for a stalk in the Dusty Martin thread on the Richmond board. Good to see them all full of pragmatic hope that he's merely just ensuring he gets the best contract he can. Citing Hogan as a perfect example, but ignoring that Hogan still had another year on his contract when he eventually did sign, and also wasn't a Free Agent.

Interesting that a few places - SEN and HS are reporting that he's put talks on hold, yet other places are saying his manager met with Richmond today, some great quality journalism at play there.

My gut feel is he's gone, was happy to tour GWS facilities before they didn't want a bar of him when he was glimpses of potential wrapped up in a trouble making package, now he's a star, can't see why he wouldn't go somewhere with money and promise of success ... somewhere like St Kilda for example.
I agree his tenure at Richmond looks shakey. Since his form is good there will be some interest I would think. Of course, his management are probably maximising his value with some strategic moves - generate hype, push Richmond to dramatically increase its offer and so forth.

For what it's worth (very little) he makes me nervous so if Saints want to shower him in gold then goodo. They should knock themselves out. He looks a bit high maintenance to me, and could throw out a team dynamic if he does have behaviour issues. I could be over-reacting to neck tattoos or something but I would prefer Melbourne to stay away and keep fishing in the safer waters of low priced Hawks discards.

If he leaves, I'll put my money on Martin to the Hawks. They'll be throwing money at him with Burgoyne and Hodge on the way out and O'Meara doing his Humpty Dumpty act.

I could be over-reacting to neck tattoos or something but I would prefer Melbourne to stay away and keep fishing in the safer waters of low priced Hawks discards.

Couldn't agree more, I don't want to go near him, and have said since his 2nd or 3rd season that at some point, his career is going to come to a sticky end ... which I thought I'd nailed last year with the Chopstick Incident until it all went away because obviously the women was lying and she wasn't at all paid to stay quiet or anything.

If he leaves, I'll put my money on Martin to the Hawks. They'll be throwing money at him with Burgoyne and Hodge on the way out and O'Meara doing his Humpty Dumpty act.
Hawthorn were my other thought, since the cap space they freed up off loading Mitchell and Lewis apparently wasn't needed for O'Meara and Mitchell. I just can't help but think they're time in the sun is coming to a close and best case for them this year is just clinging on to a spot in the 8.

In any event, I think a lot will depend on Richmond's season ... another start to the year like last year and his bags will be at the door by Round 9.

Couldn't agree more, I don't want to go near him, and have said since his 2nd or 3rd season that at some point, his career is going to come to a sticky end ... which I thought I'd nailed last year with the Chopstick Incident until it all went away because obviously the women was lying and she wasn't at all paid to stay quiet or anything.

Hawthorn were my other thought, since the cap space they freed up off loading Mitchell and Lewis apparently wasn't needed for O'Meara and Mitchell. I just can't help but think they're time in the sun is coming to a close and best case for them this year is just clinging on to a spot in the 8.

In any event, I think a lot will depend on Richmond's season ... another start to the year like last year and his bags will be at the door by Round 9.

What happened to his presumption of innocence or because he has a neck tat and she's a woman their is none
Police viewed the evidence including footage and found no case to answer
Maybe she was just chasing her 2 minutes of fame

What happened to his presumption of innocence or because he has a neck tat and she's a woman their is none
Police viewed the evidence including footage and found no case to answer
Maybe she was just chasing her 2 minutes of fame
Regardless of chopsticks he's a scumbag. If he wasn't playing footy he'd be heavily involved with the bikies, and I honestly think he might be anyway.

Who cares? He knows how to play footy and that's all that's important
Yeah, he still makes me nervous. He has a bit of a reputation as high maintenance. Could be destabilising for a team possibly. And yes, I could well be overreacting to the tattoos but I would prefer Melbourne not to sell any farms for him.

Who cares? He knows how to play footy and that's all that's important

I'd really hope after Paul Roos and Peter Jackson has rebuilt the culture of this club to a respectable level, that we would absolutely consider more than just a players skill level. Sure he can play, but a player like this is a big risk in regards to undoing a lot of the hard work Roos and Jackson have done. Would not want Dustin Martin anywhere near our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back