MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL thread: 2018 Edition: Weighed in the balance, who will be found wanting?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll never not be upset that we didn’t draft Curnow.

Hope the Blues belt the Tigs.

Couldn't agree more. It's as bad as the McCartin/Petracca mistake. Curnow has all the tools to be anything whilst Weid I'll be happy if he even plays 100 games at this point.

Lol at these 50's

Joke. I hate a lot of things about modern afl but you see 5 minutes of arm wrestle footy then a bloke gets a goal because someone jogged within 10m of him. Pretty much if you are caught behind the play then your cooked may as well run to the bench

I wish the commentary ( especially bwuce and ginge) would stop the tongue cleaning of their favourites poop shoots.

'Rance has been incredible' Bruce midway through the second. Thought Marchbank had been better but even when rance spoils he's a superstar

'So clever from Martin' - Bruce after Martin kicks one off the ground straight to a Carlton player

' brilliant kick from Caddy' Bruce after caddy misses Riewoldt by 15m in the goalsquare and the ball runs free to two Carlton players

Couldn't agree more. It's as bad as the McCartin/Petracca mistake. Curnow has all the tools to be anything whilst Weid I'll be happy if he even plays 100 games at this point.

Joke. I hate a lot of things about modern afl but you see 5 minutes of arm wrestle footy then a bloke gets a goal because someone jogged within 10m of him. Pretty much if you are caught behind the play then your cooked may as well run to the bench
The dumb thing is that its not even why that rule was brought in. Its there to stop players from standing right beside a player taking their kick and disallowing their ability to play on.

The dumb thing is that its not even why that rule was brought in. Its there to stop players from standing right beside a player taking their kick and disallowing their ability to play on.

The penalty needs to be lessened to 25m if they are gonna be that whistle happy. There's no way a game should be decided because a bloke has the ball in the middle of the ground and someone runs past him 9m away trying desperately to get back only for a 50 to be awarded and said plays one from 45 after the siren. Just a s**t rule

This is a bit extreme given he's still only 20 and very few KPFs show anything before they're fourth or fifth season, but yes Curnow was a very obvious pick and arguably will offer as much as any KPF could. His success isn't a good reason to write off Weid though

This is a bit extreme given he's still only 20 and very few KPFs show anything before they're fourth or fifth season, but yes Curnow was a very obvious pick and arguably will offer as much as any KPF could. His success isn't a good reason to write off Weid though
Tend to agree, even though I’ve not seen more than 1 or 2 games that give me an inkling if hope for weid. Also, we said that about JW for a long time, and he really never got to where we all expected. But still, 20yo KPFs need to be cut some slack.

And wasn’t there some major injury concern over Curnow around the time of the draft?

I think the whole give them time thing is crap. Realistically all the good key forwards show quite a lot when they are young and Weid wasn't even playing well at VFL level last year. Maybe 100 was selling him short but 150?

I'm also shitty we passed on Curnow though. Watching that kid play he's a generational talent no doubt about it. He's best player in the AFL potential good.

Its not quite as bad a blunder as McCartin over Petracca. Curnow slid to 13, most clubs had a chance and passed on him. Trac was consensus #1 before the Saints got spooked by the Tom Boyd trade and lost their s**t.

I think the whole give them time thing is crap. Realistically all the good key forwards show quite a lot when they are young and Weid wasn't even playing well at VFL level last year. Maybe 100 was selling him short but 150?

I'm also shitty we passed on Curnow though. Watching that kid play he's a generational talent no doubt about it. He's best player in the AFL potential good.
Were they though? JJK, Riewoldt, Hawkins, Lynch, and Patton didn't show very much before they turned 21, and Brown hadn't even been drafted for example. Gotta remember also that he didn't play any football in 2015. Obviously it's not looking great and I'll go full MFCSS if he doesn't have a good VFL year at least this year, but his 6 goals v the second best VFL side last year shows he can at least play. Took 5 very strong contested marks for his goals. What alarms me is that like Watts he's way too skinny and if he never grows out of that he'll probably never be a top forward, but if not for Curnow's prominence I don't think this board would be so worried about Weid

Life's to short to worry about players Melbourne 'could' have or 'should' have picked. Alright we've been pondering our picks for the last decade, at this point in time just let it be. There's no sense in getting bitter over things that can't be changed. Lets move on and think playing football with the group we got, not what could have been

Were they though? JJK, Riewoldt, Hawkins, Lynch, and Patton didn't show very much before they turned 21, and Brown hadn't even been drafted for example. Gotta remember also that he didn't play any football in 2015. Obviously it's not looking great and I'll go full MFCSS if he doesn't have a good VFL year at least this year, but his 6 goals v the second best VFL side last year shows he can at least play. Took 5 very strong contested marks for his goals. What alarms me is that like Watts he's way too skinny and if he never grows out of that he'll probably never be a top forward, but if not for Curnow's prominence I don't think this board would be so worried about Weid

Hawkins kicked 5 against us in like his 5th game or something.

Jack Riewoldt kicked 32 goals in his second season and then 78 in his 4th.

Patton had 2 knee reconstructions.

Look I'm not writing him off but he would really wanna start showing his worth this season.

Hawkins kicked 5 against us in like his 5th game or something.

Jack Riewoldt kicked 32 goals in his second season and then 78 in his 4th.

Patton had 2 knee reconstructions.

Look I'm not writing him off but he would really wanna start showing his worth this season.
Riewoldt kicked 32 goals in his third season, not his second :p and Hawkins was playing in the dominant Geelong team - not to say Weideman would have thrived with them, but it is a bit easier than debuting for the MFC.

This is picking straws. Ultimately I agree with you, just don't want to endure a year of this board ripping into him like Watts just because Curnow is delivering early

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an aside, did any of you see Bruce physically during QT/HT etc? Looked shocking, the cancer is taking its toll.

Life's to short to worry about players Melbourne 'could' have or 'should' have picked. Alright we've been pondering our picks for the last decade, at this point in time just let it be. There's no sense in getting bitter over things that can't be changed. Lets move on and think playing football with the group we got, not what could have been

Every single team in the comp could build a list out of players they 'should've' picked.
Reckon it gives a good argument for raising the drafting age though. You can't really tell how good a player will really be til they're 21.

Riewoldt kicked 32 goals in his third season, not his second :p and Hawkins was playing in the dominant Geelong team - not to say Weideman would have thrived with them, but it is a bit easier than debuting for the MFC.

This is picking straws. Ultimately I agree with you, just don't want to endure a year of this board ripping into him like Watts just because Curnow is delivering early

I did mean to say 3rd ya cheeky prick. Its not really a Watts comparison though its gonna be a Toumpas/Wines one. I thought Curnow was the obvious choice watching his draft highlights. Oh well.

Every single team in the comp could build a list out of players they 'should've' picked.
Reckon it gives a good argument for raising the drafting age though. You can't really tell how good a player will really be til they're 21.

Roosy is massive on this but look at Oliver, He wouldnt even be allowed to play this year despite being a BNF last year. 21 is too late. I think a better system would be to give every side who misses finals 2 picks before the others get 1. Its crazy that in a country with so few people and a sport with so many on the field that we dont edit the draft to go with that.

So say pick 1 and 11 to the bottom side
2 and 12 to the 2nd bottom etc all the way to the end of the first round then others get to pick. Would help speed up rebuilds a little. 5 years is far far too long at the bottom these days

Roosy is massive on this but look at Oliver, He wouldnt even be allowed to play this year despite being a BNF last year. 21 is too late. I think a better system would be to give every side who misses finals 2 picks before the others get 1. Its crazy that in a country with so few people and a sport with so many on the field that we dont edit the draft to go with that.

So say pick 1 and 11 to the bottom side
2 and 12 to the 2nd bottom etc all the way to the end of the first round then others get to pick. Would help speed up rebuilds a little. 5 years is far far too long at the bottom these days
So last year we would have received picks 10 and 20 and the Bombers would have only received pick 21? Any chance you can time travel? :p

So last year we would have received picks 10 and 20 and the Bombers would have only received pick 21? Any chance you can time travel? :p

Better question though. Would you trade 10 and 20 for the bombers spot in the 8? I would

Tend to agree, even though I’ve not seen more than 1 or 2 games that give me an inkling if hope for weid. Also, we said that about JW for a long time, and he really never got to where we all expected. But still, 20yo KPFs need to be cut some slack.

And wasn’t there some major injury concern over Curnow around the time of the draft?
The main concern around Curnow was that he was pulled over by police as an 18 year old and refused a breath test so he was charged for that. All just before the draft. So picking him from a club culture perspective wasn’t so appealing, since he could well have become the next Colin Sylvia. Having said that, I wouldn’t put it past Carlton to have set the whole thing up. Even though it’s unlike the Carlton Football Club to ever partake in underhanded tactics to achieve success (ahem), theoretically he wouldn’t have even needed to be drunk. Tinfoil hat aside, Charlie Curnow is an absolute jet and I would have gifted his brother Ed 100 games at MFC just to have got him on our list.

The main concern around Curnow was that he was pulled over by police as an 18 year old and refused a breath test so he was charged for that. All just before the draft. So picking him from a club culture perspective wasn’t so appealing, since he could well have become the next Colin Sylvia. Having said that, I wouldn’t put it past Carlton to have set the whole thing up. Even though it’s unlike the Carlton Football Club to ever partake in underhanded tactics to achieve success (ahem), theoretically he wouldn’t have even needed to be drunk. Tinfoil hat aside, Charlie Curnow is an absolute jet and I would have gifted his brother Ed 100 games at MFC just to have got him on our list.
There's no evidence that that influenced our decision making at all, though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back