MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ross the Toss is gone. He is someone we should really have as a coach get rid of this buddy buddy no working hard bullshit

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I would 1000% take Lyon to sit in above Goody

I don't care what anyone says about. He took 2 perennially s**t clubs to GFs, not alot he can do on the actual day and his Saints team were ******* unlucky not to beat the pies in the first GF.

* Alan Richardson please get him MFC

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
I dunno. Ross-ball was highly successful around that 2008 - 2013 period but Freo haven't fired a shot since first half of 2015. That's a long long time in football. I reckon his gamestyle has been superseded.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I dunno. Ross-ball was highly successful around that 2008 - 2013 period but Freo haven't fired a shot since first half of 2015. That's a long long time in football. I reckon his gamestyle has been superseded.
Right but if us plebs can work out how footy is going why wouldn't a coach who's been in the game for 20 years be able to. AFL footy is so ****ed, you get a list that takes years to make tangible changes to and if it doesn't work immediately you are a failure. There isn't any other respected competition to coach in that people respect so if you land in the wrong place at the wrong time you will always be considered a bad coach. That doesn't even include if you are an amazing coach who is backed by a s**t recruiting department because no one cares. Only results matter. You can coach an average side to 2nd and get no respect yet steal a flag and you are a 15 year coach around the business. Malthouse for example always gets talked about for his premierships but when he coached the Pies in 02 to nearly beat the Lions that was one of the best coaching efforts of all time but we don't give a * in Australia.

Lyon takes 2 sides to GFs yet people still think he can't coach. It's ******* ludicrous

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Right but if us plebs can work out how footy is going why wouldn't a coach who's been in the game for 20 years be able to. AFL footy is so f’ed, you get a list that takes years to make tangible changes to and if it doesn't work immediately you are a failure. There isn't any other respected competition to coach in that people respect so if you land in the wrong place at the wrong time you will always be considered a bad coach. That doesn't even include if you are an amazing coach who is backed by a s**t recruiting department because no one cares. Only results matter. You can coach an average side to 2nd and get no respect yet steal a flag and you are a 15 year coach around the business. Malthouse for example always gets talked about for his premierships but when he coached the Pies in 02 to nearly beat the Lions that was one of the best coaching efforts of all time but we don't give a fu** in Australia.

Lyon takes 2 sides to GFs yet people still think he can't coach. It's ******* ludicrous
Yeah. Unfortunately everything is binary in sport in Oz. It’s some years ago now but I actually appreciate what Neale Daniher was able to achieve with the MFC.

Neeld was a really poor coach and shouldn’t have been appointed, but he did effectively land in a pile of s**t at the MFC which massively exacerbated things.

I accept I’m probably in the minority but I reckon Ross Lyon is a good coach. I’d definitely take him over Goodwin with the only caveat being that his personality could blow up the joint. We’re a sensitive mob at Melbourne.

Btw Clarkson hasn't coached a premiership side since 15 so he must be s**t now?
Hawthorn still played finals last year, even if they went out in straight sets. Hawthorn is in more contention to make them this year than Freo are

I'm not saying Ross is a s**t coach, but 4x permiership coach looks better on renewal than 3x runner up. Lets be honest it's nothing new, Hafey was a great coach but got turfed by the players he coached despite runner up success

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hawthorn still played finals last year, even if they went out in straight sets. Hawthorn is in more contention to make them this year than Freo are

I'm not saying Ross is a s**t coach, but 4x permiership coach looks better on renewal than 3x runner up. Lets be honest it's nothing new, Hafey was a great coach but got turfed by the players he coached despite runner up success
Hawthorn still have a very experienced list with not alot of youth. Freo have gone for a bigger rebuild and have far less from their premiership side

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ve always wondered - is your avatar from Metalocalypse? I hope so. I was big fan but haven’t seen it in years. I don’t know if it is still being made.
Yep its Toki Wartooth the rythm guitarist from Deathklok. There were 4 seasons & one special in 2013. There was supposed to be a finale which never got made. Since then one of the creative guys from the show died last year & the guy that writes the songs has stated he has no interest in writing them anymore.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Yep its Toki Wartooth the rythm guitarist from Deathklok. There were 4 seasons & one special in 2013. There was supposed to be a finale which never got made. Since then one of the creative guys from the show died last year & the guy that writes the songs has stated he has no interest in writing them anymore.
Bummer. I loved that show. On the plus side, I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen more than half the episodes made, so I’ll track them down which is something to look forward to. There were moments in that show that literally made me cry laughing. I still quote parts randomly ten years later only nobody I know has any idea what I mean.

Bummer. I loved that show. On the plus side, I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen more than half the episodes made, so I’ll track them down which is something to look forward to. There were moments in that show that literally made me cry laughing. I still quote parts randomly ten years later only nobody I know has any idea what I mean.
Yep. Also loved the show. The last season and a half or so I was a bit meh towards. Was good in actually advancing the story of the show, but I felt it had less of the absurdity that made the first couple of seasons so good comically.

'Dethklok' are playing at a festival hosted by Adult Swim soon so maybe there is hope for a final season if that relationship gets patched up?

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Unreal. Bont fractures a blokes larynx and gets a fine and May knocks the gel out of some Brisbane players hair and gets a week. It's basically corruption
To think I used to laugh at all those kids at school that didn’t believe WWE was scripted. It’s taken me about 20 years to realise the AFL is the same. What a dumbarse!

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m not in for sacking Goodwin. But if next year doesn’t improve I hope Ross Lyon is available. He’d get then best out of our list.
He hasn’t been great at developing a list. But I think he’s got Freo in a decent spot.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd love it if WC get done by Essendon. Reading how they mentally ruined our club in the prelim and it's carried into this year has been infuriating. We can ruin ourselves just fine thanks
I felt there was a significant drop off in blaming the camp this year too. How can people's memory be so short. Especially when it comes to our self sabotaging ways.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I felt there was a significant drop off in blaming the camp this year too. How can people's memory be so short. Especially when it comes to our self sabotaging ways.

I think it took a lot of guts and determination to not go on the camp. I'm picturing a particularly brave and stoic pre-teen folding their arms and refusing to get out of the car. I don't know where this rubbish about the team being mentally soft comes from when its clearly not true.

Back