MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

Remove this Banner Ad

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm perplexed with this Teague and Shaw appointments. What are the actual odds both sides had the best 2 coaches in waiting in the country as assistant coaches and both were chosen first time around as well. There must be something seriously wrong with the current coaching at AFL level if 2 blokes can just walk into a new role, tell the players to play 'with freedom' then magically turn them around.
The whole thing is f’ed to me.
Who knows . Its not like there was any gossip of those 2 being hunted by other clubs . It seems there will be plenty of ex coaches to fill assistant roles though .

Will be interesting to see how seriously the Saints pursue Robert Harvey.

It would be a very St Kilda thing to have one of the best caoches as an assistant coach. He is talked up as deserving of a new senior gig as he has gotten even better. Then he steps into a caretaker role at St Kilda leads them to a 3-1 record (with games v Carlton & Sydney could very well go 5-1).

Then the Saints overlook him to bring in an untried former club great.

And then they struggle......again!

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
It would be a very St Kilda thing to have one of the best caoches as an assistant coach. He is talked up as deserving of a new senior gig as he has gotten even better. Then he steps into a caretaker role at St Kilda leads them to a 3-1 record (with games v Carlton & Sydney could very well go 5-1).

Then the Saints overlook him to bring in an untried former club great.

And then they struggle......again!
Fingers crossed anyway ...

I'm perplexed with this Teague and Shaw appointments. What are the actual odds both sides had the best 2 coaches in waiting in the country as assistant coaches and both were chosen first time around aswell. There must be something seriously wrong with the current coaching at AFL level if 2 blokes can just walk into a new role, tell the players to play 'with freedom' then magically turn them around.
The whole thing is f’ed to me.
Eh, TBF even when 'thorough processes' are undertaken teams wind up with s**t coaches or end up making a decision off a 'gut feel' (e.g. Neeld, Bailey, Goodwin, Sanderson etc.) Maybe they're hoping they've found another Paul Roos? The Carlton players definitely seemed keen on Teague from the snippets I'd seen around so that may have been the rationale.
Besides, until you actually get someone in the job it's a crapshoot as to whether they're any chop or not, or fit with the list, so may as well go with someone who's had half a season to work with and shown promise.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Eh, TBF even when 'thorough processes' are undertaken teams wind up with s**t coaches or end up making a decision off a 'gut feel' (e.g. Neeld, Bailey, Goodwin, Sanderson etc.) Maybe they're hoping they've found another Paul Roos? The Carlton players definitely seemed keen on Teague from the snippets I'd seen around so that may have been the rationale.
Besides, until you actually get someone in the job it's a crapshoot as to whether they're any chop or not, or fit with the list, so may as well go with someone who's had half a season to work with and shown promise.

Exactly - the guy has shown he can coach and get wins with the list. It’s defiantly not the new coach bounce anymore

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Exactly - the guy has shown he can coach and get wins with the list. It’s defiantly not the new coach bounce anymore
Except that this late in the season you can't make any tangible changes to game style. You see the players for a couple of hours each week

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Except that this late in the season you can't make any tangible changes to game style. You see the players for a couple of hours each week

I get that, but I have this sneaking suspicion (cause honestly I don’t know how an AFL club works, but I do know a fair bit about organizations)

- he has had heaps of times observing in miniature the game plan, the players and the structures etc

- based on this he was able to identify the changes that are easiest to implement and bring the most impact, whether positional or tweaks to structures or game plan/ instruction

We have all observed a really tangible improvement.

It feels like you are saying because we suspect he can’t make large changes it must be new coach bounce

I am saying, because we have observed much larger and longer tangible improvement than a traditional new coach bounce, we must assume given his intimate knowege the changes he has intentionally made, even if modest, are a large part of this improvemnt

I guess next year will tell...

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I get that, but I have this sneaking suspicion (cause honestly I don’t know how an AFL club works, but I do know a fair bit about organizations)

- he has had heaps of times observing in miniature the game plan, the players and the structures etc

- based on this he was able to identify the changes that are easiest to implement and bring the most impact, whether positional or tweaks to structures or game plan/ instruction

We have all observed a really tangible improvement.

It feels like you are saying because we suspect he can’t make large changes it must be new coach bounce

I am saying, because we have observed much larger and longer tangible improvement than a traditional new coach bounce, we must assume given his intimate knowege the changes he has intentionally made, even if modest, are a large part of this improvemnt

I guess next year will tell...
I'm not doubting he might have tinkered with some s**t but * the standard of coaching at AFL level must be crazy low if all it takes to get a side up is to come in tell them they're pretty and then send them out to play

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
I'm not doubting he might have tinkered with some s**t but fu** the standard of coaching at AFL level must be crazy low if all it takes to get a side up is to come in tell them they're pretty and then send them out to play

I DO think the standard is low

BUT I DO think that the changes made, although subtle, are probably much more than tinkering, and can still have a big impact. We've all seen this in other aspects of our professional lives.

Sometimes it can be as simple as communicating more effectively and the penny drops - like the time I kept ******* up the paving stones until the old Mesiter explained it to me for a couple of hours. Then I was a Gun

S

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't agree with malthouse often, but I agreed with him when he said about the ago having a problem with older coaches being appointed. Not sure if it's because the players relate better to a bloke closer to their age, or if the philosophies are different due to being mostly surrounded in a bygone era..

But history shows rarely do coaches get reappointed. Ratten should be an exception, and I think Voss may follow suit next year. Use some one like Gary Ayres over the past 15 years. He left Adelaide in 2004 and was only 44 (I think). You can't tell me from then on that he hasn't been a better coach applicant than watters, neeld, knights.

Agree Ayres might not be the best example but he's been at Port Melbourne a decade and been fairly less crazy there. You could make cases for Brendon Sanderson 57% w/l record, Dean Laidley (50%) even Mark Harvey and Guy McKenna, who both took on the roles at teams near the bottom.

Or are clubs simply scared off by the likes of eade at gcs, malthouse at Carlton etc and don't want to upset their fan base?

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
9th-10th-11th all realistic chances to make finals right now. Shocking season for us but at least tomorrow and next week should be good viewing.
A losing record could make the 8 a team could make it with 10 1/2 wins and to think the media and all bullshit said youd need 13 wins pre season. Not sure how they came to that conclusion but whatever. Kinda hoping dogs lose tomorrow so the dogs vs crows game is for spot in the 8 if hawks dont beat eagles then port will know what they are chasing. be a ripper sundy

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lions now sitting a game clear on top of the ladder . While i could never bring myself to support another club , i do hope they do well in the finals .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lions now sitting a game clear on top of the ladder . While i could never bring myself to support another club , i do hope they do well in the finals .

Blech. 2001-2003 is still too soon. Screw those clowns.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah id much rather the Eagles so i can cop it from every campaigner over here again. Plus not like Geelong Richmond or Pies havent won recently. What about the bottomless pit of first round picks of GWS? Even the dogs if they make it to win a Flag be s**t then win another 1 so every campaigner can go on about them. Or the drug cheats. Yeah im on the Brissie bandwagon for sure. * the other teams in the 8

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Yeah. Screw them. I’ve gone cold on them - as soon as every commentator started with the “how could you not love this team” I made a note of it and thought “challenge accepted”

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah id much rather the Eagles so i can cop it from every campaigner over here again. Plus not like Geelong Richmond or Pies havent won recently. What about the bottomless pit of first round picks of GWS? Even the dogs if they make it to win a Flag be s**t then win another 1 so every campaigner can go on about them. Or the drug cheats. Yeah im on the Brissie bandwagon for sure. fu** the other teams in the 8

GWS are always my pick to win it. I hate all the clubs to varying degrees, but at least no one supports GWS so you don't have to put up with obnoxious chat from anyone. Gil would probably be excited though, which is a bit of a downer.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
I don't mind who wins it so long as it's not Geelong and it's looking good in that sense. If all matches go to plan next week, then Geelong will score a home final against Richmond at the MCG. Should they lose that game, they'd probably be fronting up against Collingwood the next week, also a home final at the G. Chris Scott's salt will be delicious. And yes I know that seems ludicrously unfair to Geelong at first glance, but don't forget these bastards get to play 9 games on the ground they train at in what are notoriously difficult conditions and 95% home support. Furthermore they have no real disadvantage to the Melbourne based tenants when they come and play at the G or Etihad in the regular season. It all evens out if you ask me.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Could be a post-season bloodbath, results pending. Pyke, Hinkley, Cameron and Worsfold could all be axed if they fail again badly over the next couple of weeks.
I’ve always wondered - is your avatar from Metalocalypse? I hope so. I was big fan but haven’t seen it in years. I don’t know if it is still being made.

Back