MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

Remove this Banner Ad

I love arguments like this. They’re so sustaining and never involve a rehash of the same information which is just great. I’m sure I’m not alone.

Personally I think that women should get less prize money in grand slams because they play 3 sets rather than 5. By the same token I think Usain Bolt should give back most of his earnings because he didn’t run nearly as far as some of those marathon dudes.

Also I think that bantamweight fighters shouldn’t get any money because they would be pulverised by the heavyweights etc.

Also WTF does any of this have to do with AFL?
You actually read it once it kicks off? Heavyweights do make bulk of the coin in most combat sports. Agree with the tennis but who the * wants to watch a marathon? Once again comes down to what they bring in. Sort of ****ed myself there cause if the tennis is selling out both genders then it shouldnt matter. Or is the prices different to watch? * knows im going to go get drunker and try score some coke

You actually read it once it kicks off? Heavyweights do make bulk of the coin in most combat sports. Agree with the tennis but who the fu** wants to watch a marathon? Once again comes down to what they bring in. Sort of f’ed myself there cause if the tennis is selling out both genders then it shouldnt matter. Or is the prices different to watch? fu** knows im going to go get drunker and try score some coke
Fully in agreement with the last bit of your post.

I love arguments like this. They’re so sustaining and never involve a rehash of the same information which is just great. I’m sure I’m not alone.

Personally I think that women should get less prize money in grand slams because they play 3 sets rather than 5. By the same token I think Usain Bolt should give back most of his earnings because he didn’t run nearly as far as some of those marathon dudes.

Also I think that bantamweight fighters shouldn’t get any money because they would be pulverised by the heavyweights etc.

Also WTF does any of this have to do with AFL?

I agree they're boring conversations, and your tut-tutting response after each one is just as dull and predictable. Feel free not to read them.

So the bombers now have 3 irishman yet we have ******* none.. do we refuse to look outside of the private school bitch system? Yeah yeah Bennell... like after Jurrah its like we have gone * it too hard not worth the money looking then looking after

100%
If women want full equal pay and rights then open up sport to everyone and get rid of genders. The only medals women will win are in rythmic gymnastics and equestrian. Every other medal will be owned by a man, then they can distribute the money to the best

I think the pay shouldn't have anything to do with the skill level or physical capability itself but more to do with how much money they are worth to the sport through sponsorship/viewership etc. The pay doesn't need to be equal so much as it needs to be equitable. The only caveat on that is that professional athletes are payed at least enough to live on and support themselves as any employee should be.

Without any actual research I would assume that women netballers are paid much higher than male netballers, this would not have anything to do with who is the best but which competition has the largest audience.

So the bombers now have 3 irishman yet we have ******* none.. do we refuse to look outside of the private school bitch system? Yeah yeah Bennell... like after Jurrah its like we have gone fu** it too hard not worth the money looking then looking after

private school bitch system

I think the pay shouldn't have anything to do with the skill level or physical capability itself but more to do with how much money they are worth to the sport through sponsorship/viewership etc. The pay doesn't need to be equal so much as it needs to be equitable. The only caveat on that is that professional athletes are payed at least enough to live on and support themselves as any employee should be.

Without any actual research I would assume that women netballers are paid much higher than male netballers, this would not have anything to do with who is the best but which competition has the largest audience.

The thing is you can pick whatever metric you like - skill level, capability, revenue, sponsorship, etc and there isn't one where its justifiable to pay them the same as the men. The water also gets muddied because some sponsorship deals now are "joint" deals where the rights to men's and women's sports are sold combined / as a whole, and that wouldn't be by accident.

The thing is you can pick whatever metric you like - skill level, capability, revenue, sponsorship, etc and there isn't one where its justifiable to pay them the same as the men. The water also gets muddied because some sponsorship deals now are "joint" deals where the rights to men's and women's sports are sold combined / as a whole, and that wouldn't be by accident.

It absolutely is justifiable to pay one person the same or more than another person if they are worth the same or more to their organisation. That is literally how capitalism works.

It absolutely is justifiable to pay one person the same or more than another person if they are worth the same or more to their organisation. That is literally how capitalism works.
It's laughable to suggest that the girls teams are worth even a quarter of the men's teams.

Yes, naturally, but that's not what I meant. I mean that there isn't a metric where the women's soccer team, cricket team, AFL team, etc are comparable to bringing in the same value as the men. As someone mentioned above, the US women's soccer team is probably the most prominent exponent in the gap between relative performances in respective competitions, and they still have to play a squillion friendlies per year to bring in similar levels of revenue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, naturally, but that's not what I meant. I mean that there isn't a metric where the women's soccer team, cricket team, AFL team, etc are comparable to bringing in the same value as the men. As someone mentioned above, the US women's soccer team is probably the most prominent exponent in the gap between relative performances in respective competitions, and they still have to play a squillion friendlies per year to bring in similar levels of revenue.
I agree with that, which is why I used Womens netball as an example of a sport where Women would likely earn more than Men because there is no market for professional Mens Netball.

As I already mentioned, pay should be equitable. You should be paid based on how much value you bring to your organisation.

Because that's what we are talking about. Paying inferior athletes inflated salaries because of their gender.
Ok... I never made that point so I have no idea why you're making that reply to me.

I agree with that, which is why I used Womens netball as an example of a sport where Women would likely earn more than Men because there is no market for professional Mens Netball.

As I already mentioned, pay should be equitable. You should be paid based on how much value you bring to your organisation.

Yep, that's fine and I agree in principle. I do think skill level should be a factor though, and quite frankly, if its at a professional level, there shouldn't be restrictions on entry. If a guy wants to make it as a professional netballer, why can't he play in the only professional netball competition available?

Ok... I never made that point so I have no idea why you're making that reply to me.

Pretty much every women's niche sporting team is making this point, so its kind of relevant.

Yep, that's fine and I agree in principle. I do think skill level should be a factor though, and quite frankly, if its at a professional level, there shouldn't be restrictions on entry. If a guy wants to make it as a professional netballer, why can't he play in the only professional netball competition available?

Probably because that would be damaging to the Netball market. I would expect most people who consume Womens Netball do so because they want to see Women play. In that circumstance a Male player would actually be detrimental to the organisation.

Probably because that would be damaging to the Netball market. I would expect most people who consume Womens Netball do so because they want to see Women play. In that circumstance a Male player would actually be detrimental to the organisation.

Interesting how much of a one-sided view that is. Men should be watching and supporting women's sports, but women should only be supporting women's sports. The different way people treat men's and women's sports is pretty comical.

Interesting how much of a one-sided view that is. Men should be watching and supporting women's sports, but women should only be supporting women's sports. The different way people treat men's and women's sports is pretty comical.

Again, not really what I was saying. You can watch whatever you want, why should I care? Kind of over getting strawmanned though, I'll leave you boys to it.

Well, feel free to move all the posts to the random chat thread if it bothers you so much that they're in the Non-Dees AFL forum.

Never said it bothered me, just can't believe this argument has been going for 2 pages ...

Bothered you enough to post a silly gif. Two pages is foreplay compared to some of the off-topic discussions we've had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back