MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect the ‘self reporting’ part is a bit of wank.

Guy cheerfully betting for a bit, then one day wakes up having seen a vision of Jesus or whatever and goes to the afl to atone?

I think not. I think the way it works is the AFL, like any employer, serve someone with some kind of notice that they are being investigated for this or that - so in this case ‘betting irregularities’. I guess players run off and talk to manager, probably lawyer etc. At this point the player has two options. ‘Self report’ which buys a lesser sentence, but means you’ll definitely cop some kind of whack albeit reduced. Alternative is let things play out, which means you might escape or might lose the lot. Basically I suspect the self reporting happens generally with a spot of prompting.

Guy cheerfully betting for a bit, then one day wakes up having seen a vision of Jesus or whatever and goes to the afl to atone?

I think not. I think the way it works is the AFL, like any employer, serve someone with some kind of notice that they are being investigated for this or that - so in this case ‘betting irregularities’. I guess players run off and talk to manager, probably lawyer etc. At this point the player has two options. ‘Self report’ which buys a lesser sentence, but means you’ll definitely cop some kind of whack albeit reduced. Alternative is let things play out, which means you might escape or might lose the lot. Basically I suspect the self reporting happens generally with a spot of prompting.
Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Made 3 bets over a 6 week period, and a month later he self reports ... sure, sounds plausible.

So he gets 10 weeks.
More than king hitting some one
More than doing drugs
More than drink driving
More than May and Hogan got combined

The only reason this is serious is because the AFL is heavily involved in gambling, the same thing Stephenson is being punished for. Pretty crazy

Mate it’s match fixing. Got to stamp this s**t out or sport becomes meaningless.

Also, a player king hitting someone would likely be a long old suspension. Don’t think I’ve ever seen it on a professional field. Amateurs are generally sacked for it.

Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Made 3 bets over a 6 week period, and a month later he self reports ... sure, sounds plausible.
If I remember rightly, Essendon ‘self reported’ irregularities of their supplements program. Well and truly after they had been told by the CEO and others that the s**t was heading in the general direction of a fan.

Agreed. This is the way the AFL and other sporting organisations operate with regard to scandal. Spin it as naive stupidity to abate questions of cheating or criminality.

Stephenson is just a young bloke who’s made a mistake. Mark Waugh and Shane Warne only took cash for pitch and weather conditions. Essendon thought their program was cutting edge sports science. Qatar/Russia presented the best case for the World Cup. *Whistles*

If systematic cheating or criminality is exposed, throw individuals under the bus and feign outrage at the conduct with severe penalties. “We never knew this was going on. Integrity is at the heart of our code. Etc” See Warner, Smith and Bancroft.

For the Gawn thing alone or has he done something else?
Gawn and this latest thing, where wce players on their bday have a shot on goal while their teammates put him off. Gaff's turn and you can hear Vardy yelling "Brayshaw" at him.

Isn't close to wil yet, but he's on his way

Agreed. This is the way the AFL and other sporting organisations operate with regard to scandal. Spin it as naive stupidity to abate questions of cheating or criminality.

Stephenson is just a young bloke who’s made a mistake. Mark Waugh and Shane Warne only took cash for pitch and weather conditions. Essendon thought their program was cutting edge sports science. Qatar/Russia presented the best case for the World Cup. *Whistles*

If systematic cheating or criminality is exposed, throw individuals under the bus and feign outrage at the conduct with severe penalties. “We never knew this was going on. Integrity is at the heart of our code. Etc” See Warner, Smith and Bancroft.

Eh, its understandable with Stephenson. What'd he put on? $36 worth of bets? Copping a fair whack and then some for his troubles. When someone does something that stupid, reckon their club should be well within rights to dock their pay for the duration of the ban. If the player can't do what their paid to do out of pure stupidity, they don't get paid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh, its understandable with Stephenson. What'd he put on? $36 worth of bets? Copping a fair whack and then some for his troubles. When someone does something that stupid, reckon their club should be well within rights to dock their pay for the duration of the ban. If the player can't do what their paid to do out of pure stupidity, they don't get paid.
That's not really how pay works in the AFL though, is it. Stephenson isn't exactly a replaceable commodity for Collingwood; they're incentivised to continue to pay him over that period to sustain his livelihood etc bc he's a 12 year investment. They don't really stand to gain much by acting punitively. Whether or not they're allowed to stop paying him is probably less important than the actual value of doing so.

That's not really how pay works in the AFL though, is it. Stephenson isn't exactly a replaceable commodity for Collingwood; they're incentivised to continue to pay him over that period to sustain his livelihood etc bc he's a 12 year investment. They don't really stand to gain much by acting punitively. Whether or not they're allowed to stop paying him is probably less important than the actual value of doing so.

No, hence I said "should". Stephenson is paid to play football - he's not being kept around for $400k per year to sell Pies jumpers and turn up at a few training camps. If he wants to sustain his livelihood, I'd suggest not getting suspended for a long period by being an idiot. He may be a 12 year investment and a long term player for the club, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be further repercussions. If the guy has a few functioning brain cells, I'm sure he could understand that banking that salary when he's unable to do what he's supposed to be doing might be justified.

What amused me most about that Nathan Vardy thing is that Hamish Brayshaw was probably part of that drill. Talk about a few sheep short of a paddock.

Fair dinkum Essendon are s**t. They do the same rubbish as us. Get the ball and then just handball wildly to anyone. Brings a shitload of pressure onto themselves and as soon as you half miss a handball you are giving the oppo exactly what they want.

Teams are defending deeper so the need to rush the ball in behind isn't as great anymore yet neither us or the bombers have learnt.
Rather than a sustainable brand that holds up when we aren't playing well we play a brand that needs perfect execution

McGovern getting suspended is a ******* joke!

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Nah hard pushing a bloke into a fence is reckless and there was no need for it

Anyone who messages a player like that is a flog, we've all had a melt at what some of our players do on the field but I'd never be that much of a dick to literally DM one of them abuse.

I liked posts on Mathiesons IG comments calling him a ducking flog after his debut I think but that's about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back