MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Geelong never actually bottomed out the arseholes ... they just got very lucky over a couple of drafts with a few father/sons, and pretty much every pick they made turning into a star.

97 draft: Scarlett (@45)
99 draft: Corey (@8), Chapman (@31), Ling (@38), Enright (@47)
00 draft: Hunt (@44)
01 draft: Bartel (@8), Kelly (@17), Johnson (@24), Ablett (@40)

Not a bad haul. Made their early picks count and struck some gold with the mid/later picks.

97 draft: Scarlett (@45)
99 draft: Corey (@8), Chapman (@31), Ling (@38), Enright (@47)
00 draft: Hunt (@44)
01 draft: Bartel (@8), Kelly (@17), Johnson (@24), Ablett (@40)

Not a bad haul. Made their early picks count and struck some gold with the mid/later picks.
Point is they don’t win any flags without those top picks and the two father-sons in scarlett and Ablett.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
The kool-aid on the Carlton board is extraordinary regarding SOS.
I genuinely love the "SOS is an amazing recruiter, look at the work he did at GWS!" stuff ... because lets actually looks at the work he did at GWS!

The 2011 probably shouldn't even count, with that many 1st round picks, it was basically fishing with dynamite at a fish farm, alas ...
Patton, Coniglio, Tyson, Hoskin-Elliott, Buntine, Haynes, Tomlinson, Sumner, Greene, Adams, Smith, Downie, O'hAilpin, Frost
Some good players in there no doubt, but only 6 of the 14 are still at the club, which is a consideration

Whitfield, O'Rourke, Plowman, Jaksch, Corr, Stewart, Thornton
The first 4 were picks 1,2,3 and 12 ... jesus.

Boyd, Kelly, McCarthy, Lobb, Lamb, Schulz
Kelly is unreal, but thats not a great conversion rate ..

Pickett, Marchbank, Ahern, McKenna, Steele
Not a single player left at the club, I rate Steele, and Marchbank is alright, but the rest are/were pretty bloody ordinary.

So thats 9 players from 32 picks still at the club, the majority of them from his first year, when really, my 8 year old would have been able to pick some good players ... So yeah, they're in great hands.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I genuinely love the "SOS is an amazing recruiter, look at the work he did at GWS!" stuff ... because lets actually looks at the work he did at GWS!

The 2011 probably shouldn't even count, with that many 1st round picks, it was basically fishing with dynamite at a fish farm, alas ...
Patton, Coniglio, Tyson, Hoskin-Elliott, Buntine, Haynes, Tomlinson, Sumner, Greene, Adams, Smith, Downie, O'hAilpin, Frost
Some good players in there no doubt, but only 6 of the 14 are still at the club, which is a consideration

Whitfield, O'Rourke, Plowman, Jaksch, Corr, Stewart, Thornton
The first 4 were picks 1,2,3 and 12 ... jesus.

Boyd, Kelly, McCarthy, Lobb, Lamb, Schulz
Kelly is unreal, but thats not a great conversion rate ..

Pickett, Marchbank, Ahern, McKenna, Steele

Not a single player left at the club, I rate Steele, and Marchbank is alright, but the rest are/were pretty bloody ordinary.

So thats 9 players from 32 picks still at the club, the majority of them from his first year, when really, my 8 year old would have been able to pick some good players ... So yeah, they're in great hands.

Probably fairer to state who is still in the AFL. Being drafted to GWS is going to be bottom of most draftee's wish lists, only slightly ahead of not being drafted at all. Some of the players wanting to leave (Adams, Hoskin-Elliott, Boyd, Marchbank, etc) comes with the territory, although I suppose the ones they squeezed out for salary cap space are their own fault (probably not SOS', though). I think the bigger issue with what they did was just giving some of these players away for nothing (ie Ahern).

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Probably fairer to state who is still in the AFL. Being drafted to GWS is going to be bottom of most draftee's wish lists, only slightly ahead of not being drafted at all. Some of the players wanting to leave (Adams, Hoskin-Elliott, Boyd, Marchbank, etc) comes with the territory, although I suppose the ones they squeezed out for salary cap space are their own fault (probably not SOS', though). I think the bigger issue with what they did was just giving some of these players away for nothing (ie Ahern).
Well yeah, probably, tho it's not nearly as funny that way. Tho there is an argument to say that he could have picked players that were going to be able to handle living there and not want to run home, but still, with the exception of the dynamite fishing, he's made some absolutely shocking picks really early in some drafts.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Well yeah, probably, tho it's not nearly as funny that way. Tho there is an argument to say that he could have picked players that were going to be able to handle living there and not want to run home, but still, with the exception of the dynamite fishing, he's made some absolutely shocking picks really early in some drafts.
I think more importantly he/Carlton seem ill equipped to spot opportunities late draft. The first 30 kids drafted each year could be drafted by me after a few days reading of the various reviews of draft candidates published here and there.

What I don’t get is the dreadful list cloggers they get each year only for the guys to be confirmed as potatoes a year later then dumped.

If you need to ‘salary dump’ on a player, use some innovation. If you need to pick up some random mature bodies to “protect the kids” then take a punt on some randoms that show a bit. Melbourne is hardly the gold standard for recruiting but we have mined the reserves for some mature players and they are now best 22. Where is Carlton’s Marty Hore? When did SOS rookie a guy like vdB?

Every year they go all out to bring in an elite trade - Fyfe, Shiel etc. don’t get them. That’s fine, but why can’t SOS spot the useful freebies like Daniel Cross? Brisbane approached Hodge to extend his career a bit and help develop the young list. Carlton would have benefited from that arrangement too but their is zero sign it even occurred to SOS. The bloke is too busy assigning Carlton list spots and salary to failures he already recruited at GWS who have already conclusively shown they won’t make it.

Also where is the unlikely Rookie pick for Carlton brought in by SOS that has become a success story? Where is their James Harmes.

* him and * them. They deserve what they get.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

True, but as someone from Sydney, I wouldn't have much interest in living / working in western Sydney either. The Gold Coast is a shambles of a club but at least there are lifestyle benefits to living there. Getting drafted to a sham of a club in a crappy part of an expensive city where very few people care about AFL isn't going to be many footy-obsessed kid's dream.

But anyway, yes, SOS had some stinkers but he'll still streets ahead of Prendergast on the scoreboard.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just read the article on Malthouse on the AFL app. What a flog. Every quote in the article was either self serving or not so subtly hinting at what an innovative coach he was. He’s an attention seeking. Buckley is so much more impressive in how he carries himself.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Just read the article on Malthouse on the AFL app. What a flog. Every quote in the article was either self serving or not so subtly hinting at what an innovative coach he was. He’s an attention seeking. Buckley is so much more impressive in how he carries himself.
That's just modern bullshit. I like Buckley but hes also in the non offensive generation. Malthouse is a hands down legend and 3 time premiership coach. Buckley is just a nice guy at the moment but I'm not shocked you hold that view. Its very 2019 to piss on legends

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
That's just modern ********. I like Buckley but hes also in the non offensive generation. Malthouse is a hands down legend and 3 time premiership coach. Buckley is just a nice guy at the moment but I'm not shocked you hold that view. Its very 2019 to piss on legends
It's also very "Topkent" for you to side with the past ;)

You're right tho, he is a coaching legend, that's a proven fact, but so is the fact that he was too stubborn and arrogant to change his coaching methods with the times, and that he carried himself like an absolute campaigner in his transition days at Collingwood, and his entire time at Carlton, which never would have happened were it not for his damaged ego that the Pies moved him on.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's also very "Topkent" for you to side with the past ;)

You're right tho, he is a coaching legend, that's a proven fact, but so is the fact that he was too stubborn and arrogant to change his coaching methods with the times, and that he carried himself like an absolute campaigner in his transition days at Collingwood, and his entire time at Carlton, which never would have happened were it not for his damaged ego that the Pies moved him on.

Yeah you are right but near on 20 years of successful coaching wouldn't be easy to throw out the window to start telling the modern generation how valued and pretty they are

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah you are right but near on 20 years of successful coaching wouldn't be easy to throw out the window to start telling the modern generation how valued and pretty they are
My grandfather told me once that if you are any good at something you don’t need to tell people, they will tell you. Malthouse needs to show a bit of dignity. He embarrassed himself in that article.

Back