MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Right they had a mix of high picks, trades F/S and low picks and rookies just like every good list.

We have already had a good crack at the top end. It sounds like you have already given up on our high picks being successful

Their F/S picks were pretty damn good, not sure you can just thumb that one off. Scarlett, Ablett, Hawkins, meh Ablett, etc.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Their F/S picks were pretty damn good, not sure you can just thumb that one off. Scarlett, Ablett, Hawkins, meh Ablett, etc.
I think the point I was trying to make this morning was if they had been forced to draft those guys they would have missed out on the others. They were extremely lucky

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sorry but Geelong are one of the worst examples to bring up regarding draft picks. They've had one top 10 pick ever I'm pretty sure (Selwood, a good one) and have built sustained success around trades and later picks. Father sons too. Demon bhoy

Anyway I think Clarko made a good point about the Wingard trade recently. Judge it in 2027. If May can play like he did against Brisbane in multiple finals and/or plays 100+ good games in good teams, then the trade will look good. If he repeats 2019 over and over for a few years then retires, and Ben King becomes a star, we'll look silly. A lot to play out yet. The Tyson/Salem/Kelly deal looked great for us in the beginning, then bad about 12 months ago, now more of a win win (thanks Christian). Nothing is black and white.
It’s the best example other than hawthorn, cats had some luck with F/s no doubt but the core of their list was built in 2 to 3 years around great drafting much of it at the top end.

As far as May is concerned this is the last time I’ll say anything, I have nothing against bringing May in except we massively overpaid for a run of the mill fullback, 27 was heaps maybe with a pick swap, with what was given up he has to be top 3 best players every week but event then he’s a fullback is that what we want.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Demonboy and Stinger. Spent the whole season bitching about trades but haven't presented an alternative and you are still avoiding the question
I presented alternatives, I said don’t do it but if they are going to get value

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It’s the best example other than hawthorn, cats had some luck with F/s no doubt but the core of their list was built in 2 to 3 years around great drafting much of it at the top end.

As far as May is concerned this is the last time I’ll say anything, I have nothing against bringing May in except we massively overpaid for a run of the mill fullback, 27 was heaps maybe with a pick swap, with what was given up he has to be top 3 best players every week but event then he’s a fullback is that what we want.
So far May has been in our best 3 every week since he's returned from injury

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
How can I compare a deal that's less than a season old mate. If May is our player of the finals next year the deal completely changes.

May aswell say Weid is already a failed draft pick then as is Petracca and Brayshaw.
May playing a few good games doesn’t change a bad deal, club over paid that doesn’t change

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
So far May has been in our best 3 every week since he's returned from injury
Last week wasn’t in our best 6 or 7, club didn’t have him in top 5 against Brisbane which was harsh but either way we lost by 5 goals and should have been 10

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
You keep saying that. We wanted may what would you have paid
27 with maybe pick swaps, everyone in Australia knew what Melbourne were doing, trade Hogan then move pick for May after Freo sends Neale to Brisbane, they fixated on May as the final piece of the premiership puzzle and s**t themselves when Collingwood got mentioned and GC knew it and exploited it. I’m not against May the player, I want him to be great but 6 was well over especially in a year with live trading of picks and when actually looking at what he’d done as a player

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
27 with maybe pick swaps, everyone in Australia knew what Melbourne were doing, trade Hogan then move pick for May after Freo sends Neale to Brisbane, they fixated on May as the final piece of the premiership puzzle and s**t themselves when Collingwood got mentioned and GC knew it and exploited it. I’m not against May the player, I want him to be great but 6 was well over especially in a year with live trading of picks and when actually looking at what he’d done as a player
Absoloute dream land to think you could get their captain for 27.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well if he keeps on doing that then it very much does change.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
May is like a late 90’s Toyota Corolla that we paid $50000 for hoping it would drive like a BMW for a few years but broke down first day we had it.

At the moment it’s going ok and it may do another 300000 km but for what we paid it ******* better

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Absoloute dream land to think you could get their captain for 27.
Nick maxwell was a premiership captain and all Australian and a great leader of his team nobody was giving up a top ten pick for him, if you can’t get a player for what he’s worth walk away.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Nick maxwell was a premiership captain and all Australian and a great leader of his team nobody was giving up a top ten pick for him, if you can’t get a player for what he’s worth walk away.

I don't even know where to start with that horrible horrible comparison

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't even know where to start with that horrible horrible comparison
That’s my point, nick maxwell has an infinity better resume than May and nobody would of given up high picks for him captain or not, GC played us, we are like Monty python at times, this bloke won’t haggle

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
That’s my point, nick maxwell has an infinity better resume than May and nobody would of given up high picks for him captain or not, GC played us, we are like Monty python at times, this bloke won’t haggle
Nah it was just a s**t comparison
Maxwell never wanted to be traded, his resume is of a retired player Mays is half done.
Collingwood wouldn't have accepted anything past 10 for Maxwell in his prime anyway

Last edited:

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nah it was just a s**t comparison
Maxwell never wanted to be traded, his resume is of a retired player Mays is half done.
Collingwood wouldn't have accepted anything past 10 for Maxwell in his prime anyway
You don’t like the comparison because it doesn’t fit your argument, May is 28 before next season we’ll over half done in his career and has achieved nothing other than being captain of the worst club in the league but still couldn’t landed in the the top 10 of their b&f and has maybe 4 years left to turn it around

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You don’t like the comparison because it doesn’t fit your argument, May is 28 before next season we’ll over half done in his career and has achieved nothing other than being captain of the worst club in the league but still couldn’t landed in the the top 10 of their b&f and has maybe 4 years left to turn it around
No it's just a horrible comparison

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nope, that is a terrible comparison but youve chosen it because it suits your arguement.

Hilariously, its even worse than the corolla example. Indont know why you have a murder boner for this trade, but looking at the likely future of what we shipped off, we made out like bandits!

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
No it's just a horrible comparison
You made the point May was GC captain and that somehow means GC wanted more, my point is who gives a s**t he was captain and a bad one at that of the worst team in the league, Maxwell was captain and achieved much more by the same age and nobody would have given up a first round pick for him. If we are attributing more value to a player based on if he was captain or because the other team said so we are more ****ed at this trading thing than I thought. Nothing wrong with the comparison you blokes just don’t like it.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nope, that is a terrible comparison but youve chosen it because it suits your arguement.

Hilariously, its even worse than the corolla example. Indont know why you have a murder boner for this trade, but looking at the likely future of what we shipped off, we made out like bandits!

We over paid and got screwed by GC for a bloke who is ok, that’s why I don’t like it nothing against May as such, what somebody else does somewhere else is if no relevance to how this deal pans out.

Something or someone exceeding expectations doesn’t mean you didn’t over pay to start with,it means you got lucky, let’s hope we get lucky and he becomes a Mercedes, I genuinely hope he does but it will still be a s**t trade

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We over paid and got screwed by GC for a bloke who is ok, that’s why I don’t like it nothing against May as such, what somebody else does somewhere else is if no relevance to how this deal pans out.

Something or someone exceeding expectations doesn’t mean you didn’t over pay to start with,it means you got lucky, let’s hope we get lucky and he becomes a Mercedes, I genuinely hope he does but it will still be a s**t trade
He's more than ok though. It sounds like you've seen him play twice an formed an opinion

Back