MFC Fans Only Non Demons Footy Chat 2023 - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

In other words, bitching about having a team. A new stadium comes with the territory.
This does seem dumped on them by non-Tasmanians, and with 2 stadiums currently being used for AFL it's not unreasonable to ask why not use those in upgraded form at cheaper cost. (Yes there's arguments for the new one too, but do they justify the extra $'00s of millions?)
GWS and GC didn't get brand new stadiums, they upgraded what was at Olympic Park and Carrara respectively.

This does seem dumped on them by non-Tasmanians, and with 2 stadiums currently being used for AFL it's not unreasonable to ask why not use those in upgraded form at cheaper cost. (Yes there's arguments for the new one too, but do they justify the extra $'00s of millions?)
GWS and GC didn't get brand new stadiums, they upgraded what was at Olympic Park and Carrara respectively.

In non football states where sponsorship money is easier to come by. They only use the two stadiums they use now because they wouldn't fill a new stadium with the teams that play down there. What's the point in building a new one for interstate teams? I'd have thought in an AFL state a new stadium would be a given and would be something to take pride in.

In non football states where sponsorship money is easier to come by. They only use the two stadiums they use now because they wouldn't fill a new stadium with the teams that play down there. What's the point in building a new one for interstate teams? I'd have thought in an AFL state a new stadium would be a given and would be something to take pride in.
Maybe, but Tassie has a lot of other things on the to-do list atm before getting a new stadium (from what I've read, I don't live there). Making the stadium a condition of getting the team seems a bit shitty too, when the AFL has strung along Tassie for ages about maybe, possibly getting a team. It makes business sense for the league but isn't actually needed for them to have their own team.

Case in point.

Tasmanian's want it on their terms like they are bringing something to the party that the AFL cant live without when they really aren't. I just find it really odd. You've been wanting a team for ages, now you have one and youre willing to not have one over needing to build a modern stadium.

Its got nothing to do with mainlanders telling you what to do, its just how the worlds biggest sports leagues operate everywhere.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Some Tasmanians think the stadium is a waste of money when we have two workable stadiums already.

Most Tasmanians want a team.

All Tasmanians hate being told how they feel and what to do by Mainlanders.
You can play footy at those stadiums but have you been to them? It honestly felt like I was at Casey Fields. A stadium is needed if they want a team. A boutique stadium would be awesome for Hobart. I spend a bit of time there and have some friends who live there. I haven't spoken to anyone who doesn't want the stadium or think it isn't a great idea to get a stadium. There's always going to be people who don't want it. And they have good reason to not want it as it costs a lot of $$ that could be spent on health and housing etc. I'm no financial guru, but I figured the money for the stadium comes from a totally different budget than the health etc? Anyway, I'll be shocked if this doesn't go ahead

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
You can play footy at those stadiums but have you been to them? It honestly felt like I was at Casey Fields. A stadium is needed if they want a team. A boutique stadium would be awesome for Hobart. I spend a bit of time there and have some friends who live there. I haven't spoken to anyone who doesn't want the stadium or think it isn't a great idea to get a stadium. There's always going to be people who don't want it. And they have good reason to not want it as it costs a lot of $$ that could be spent on health and housing etc. I'm no financial guru, but I figured the money for the stadium comes from a totally different budget than the health etc? Anyway, I'll be shocked if this doesn't go ahead
Let me clarify my original points a bit.

First off, I am in the pro stadium, pro team camp.

Some noisy people here don't want the state government spending money on a stadium because they think it should be spent on hospitals and housing. It is most likely a vocal minority who seem to think the money we are spending on it is being taken away from those areas or was earmarked for those areas (it wasn't, the government doesn't give a stuff).

I've never been to York Park but frequently go to Bellerive. It sucks. Parking is crap and getting in and out is a nightmare. The ground and facilities are ok. Not convinced a new stadium at Mac point will be better for that, because the arterials in and out of the city will be massively clogged up when games are on. It will certainly be good for tourists which is important - a 5 minute walk from your hotel room.

Now my point about Mainlanders telling is what to do or what to think wasn't about the AFL telling us what to do. There was a deal on the table, we negotiated and took it, fair enough. My point is more about the media - people who live in Victoria and other places, stating what the majority here want or don't want, when they have absolutely no idea what the mood is on the street.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Probably an unpopular opinion but it seems like an expensive stadium. Clearly doesn’t pay for itself commercially.

People saying it comes from a different pot of money may be right but it all comes from the same big pot at the top and if not spent it either doesn’t go to deficit or can be better spent on affordable housing ect.

I watched big bash at Bellerive and it was fine, and could easily be upgraded GWS/GC style.

I assume the new stand at MCG is internally funded as my opinion would be the same that the ground is currently fit for purpose as it is, I’m pretty surprised it needs upgrading now as it is plenty good enough and I’m not sure what 500 million will actually add in utility to my footy watching?

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Just googled the state government is paying a billion bucks to redo the great southern stand as it arguably isn’t the best stadium in Australia? What a joke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Every odd year we sucked hard in for a while there. 1999, 2001, 2003
I remember Daniher saying we had a ton of injuries in 01 and still finished with 10 wins. Not sure what happened in 99 maybe a transition from the 80s 90s players finishing and younger guys coming through. We sucked for half of 2000 as well. 2003 was a genuine mystery to me.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wow they went over the interchange limit. North just find new ways to punish there supporters.

- Edited to say and Mclean ignored all the instructions from his team mates to use up all the time lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back