Opposition Camp - Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II | Page 19 | BigFooty
  1. New Image Editor now Live

A basic image editor is now available to all users. Improvements are still in the works, but it is usable right now. Just hit "Edit Image" when you upload an image into a post. Try It ...

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Opposition Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II

Discussion in 'West Coast Eagles' started by who gives a, Sep 22, 2018.

1. twotooto

twotooto We're all mad here

West Coast
    I don't mind it. Like what Bell is doing. As much I'd love for them to wallow indefinitely, I think he is going to turn them around. Reckon he needs to give Ross the arse but I fully endorse a budding contract extension until 2025 minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. HoneyBadger35

HoneyBadger35 Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Echo that. For the first time in their existence it seems like they have a backbone.

Now don’t get me wrong, there’s every chance it’s a tough “this is my first trade week” front and they extend Ballantyne again come season’s end, but for now it’s more respectable than funny. Poor form Freo, know your role.

3. Rowan18

Rowan18 Team Captain

West Coast
    Wow - GWS has really opened a can of worms by telling players to look elsewhere. If they lose Shiel, Scully and Lobb then their depth will be severley tested. It might mean other guns start leaving next year if they don't think the club can contend for flags, just like the gold coast situation.

Port has made a similar mistake with Wingard. They topped up for a flag last year and now look to lose a good player with no-one coming in.

4. twotooto

twotooto We're all mad here

West Coast
    Indeed, looks like he's drawn a bit of a line in the sand - long time coming, imo.

Fair chance they'll still snag Hogan anyway. I dunno, maybe I'm just feeling magnanimous in the glorious Prem afterglow, but good luck to em.

Wadsworth, Lord Rod and equiv_clearly like this.
  5. ZergMinion

ZergMinion Club Legend

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Fremantle (W-AFL)
    I think you're forgetting Eagles premiership player and all round awesome dude, Scott Lycett.

Matera92 and Hai_Newman like this.
  6. Rowan18

Rowan18 Team Captain

West Coast
    Ha ha - yes, yes I am. To protect myself from the pain of losing him, I have erased his existence from my memory.

7. FKASC

FKASC Account Deleted

West Coast
    Freo will probably just want to add one KPF at a time - give Lobb a year to settle in and then get Hogan cheap.

Rather than introducing two new key forwards both from very different sides at once?

JDWCE likes this.
  8. HoneyBadger35

HoneyBadger35 Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Why try to accumulate talent at the same time? Talent brings expectation, they're much more comfortable in the rebuild headspace.

I think they'll wind up with Hogan, and possibly Lobb. This strikes me as playing hard ball early to try to get a Weller-esque deal done from Brisbane and then have pieces to give for Hogan.

FKASC likes this.
  9. squashface

squashface Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Yeah and I suppose if the current trajectory continues, Hogan’s value will plummet and Freo will get him cheaper

FKASC likes this.
  10. JohnW

JohnW Club Legend

West Coast
    Brisbane to go McGovern on Freo and only deal for Neal after the siren. Leaving no time for a Hogan deal.

Wanting the extract every last ounce from Brisbane for Neale makes sense but not if it kills a Hogan trade.

Ellroy80 likes this.
  11. EagleJack42

EagleJack42 Team Captain

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Roger Federer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Eastern Rangers

Eastern Rangers 2015 Worsfold Medalist - Rowen Powell

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Royals & Subi
    EFA.

13. Keys

Keys Not Bitter

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Bengals
    I’m in a mood so thought of this scenario to brighten things up :

1) Hogan stays at Melbourne
    2) Fremantle knock back Brisbane’s offer of pick 5 for Neale forcing him stay
    3) AFL announce the end of FA compensation picks from 2019 onwards
    4) They also announce a reduction to the qualifying periods of FA to 6 years for restricted and 8 years for unrestricted
    5) Neale is now an unrestricted FA and walks to Brisbane. Freo can’t match and compensation has been removed so it’s donuts for them
    6) Hogan has 6 years at Melbourne so becomes a FA. Decides that since Freo didn’t want him he’ll nominate West Coast instead
    7) Profit

14. Wooshette

Wooshette Premiers 2018

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Slytherin, Noble Park Bulls
    D538D2C8-3182-4F38-89B2-F9B3D2A3D04D.gif

15. Carbine Chaos

Carbine Chaos Sheed's Left Foot

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Everton, Delhi, Perth
    I don’t get why this makes them a joke. We don’t know what his medical showed. The risk may not have been worth the investment currently?

MrKK, KO_KO, Hai_Newman and 2 others like this.
  16. southcoast

southcoast Club Legend

West Coast
    But, but, but wasn't Brisbane's first pick not enough for Neale. Seems to me Freo want all transactions going their way, and going by 'overs'

DJMac likes this.
  17. equiv_clearly

equiv_clearly Club Legend

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Canucks, South Fremantle
    I like that both clubs are taking a strong line. The West Australian clubs are disadvantaged in so many ways.

We should exploit any 'go-home' trade advantage we can.

18. Dazzler10

Dazzler10 Club Legend

West Coast
    I endorse that last statement.

19. Dazzler10

Dazzler10 Club Legend

West Coast
    Wooshette likes this.
  20. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    So freo want pick 5 and a late 1st for neale but final offer of pick 11 and future 2nd for hogan ?

They are playing with fire freo . I think the pick 2 for weller clouded their judgment

21. Smeg Head

Smeg Head Wot!

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    South Fremantle
    To be fair, Freo's future second will come in at 20 before any FA compo picks.

22. amazingjoshy

amazingjoshy Premiership Player

West Coast
    I actually think Freo should have a cheeky crack at Patton...maybe offer a slightly higher pick for Lobb than they would. Would come cheap given his injuries but if gets fit is the exact player they're after

23. Wooshette

Wooshette Premiers 2018

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Slytherin, Noble Park Bulls
    From this article
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-30/after-the-siren-coachings-new-golden-ticket

THE MOMENT 'Sheed's got the most impossible goal'

Three in general play that come to mind are Brisbane's Jason Akermanis in 2002, Geelong's Paul Chapman in 2009 and Sydney's Nick Malceski in 2012. Chapman put the Cats a goal ahead with his kick, while the other two mentioned were the sealers rather than the winners. And in all three cases, they were kicks in hope as much as anything.
    You might have to go back to Collingwood's Ross 'Twiggy' Dunne, whose wobbly flat punt in the 1977 Grand Final tied up the game and sent it to a replay the following week.
    But even then, Dunne was straight in front of goal. Such a kick should have been his bread and butter.

Given the time remaining, the incredibly tight angle and the stakes involved, Sheed's kick was truly remarkable. It should be remembered as one of the greatest Grand Final goals of all time.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 11:50 AM
  24. ghostbat12

ghostbat12 Club Legend

West Coast
    Personally good on what freo are doing.

Melbourne came in and wanted, by sounds of it, the world. Freo just reminded them that realistically, there aren’t many places that hogan can go to.

Also Melbourne showed (dumb f-cks) that they can’t get May without Hogan leaving. Leverage gone.

May - he is a crab. Can’t believe Melbourne are after him.

25. Mulldogg

Mulldogg Team Captain

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool FC
    I don’t get this pursuit of May either. I mean if they’re thinking Hogan is expendable but need a KPD why not just play him down back if a trade deal can’t be done? He was an AA CHB at U18 level if I recall.

Makes me think his navicular injury is suspect and Melbourne think it’s like Trengove’s in that it won’t heal properly.