Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does this set a precedent for teams offering stupidly long, multimilion dollar deals, knowing a player can retire during it and relieving the salary cap squeeze?

The cynic in me thinks so.

2 years remain in the cap I believe. So that's something.

And honestly you're destroying your future planning on the off chance your big recruit will fail. With front and back loading it's still a serious risk.

So Rampe climbed the post which was deemed worthy of a warning by the umpire but not a free, then ticked off by the AFL and umpires dept, then Rampe was fined for climbing the post, then Sydney agreed not to contest the fine and now the AFL is satisfied he didn’t intentionally shake the post.

Whew. What a governing body.
You missed one important step in the process before it was ticked off

So Rampe climbed the post which was deemed worthy of a warning by the umpire but not a free, then ticked off by the AFL and umpires dept, then Rampe was fined for climbing the post and now the AFL is satisfied he didn’t intentionally shake the post.

Whew. What a governing body.
The AFL ended up getting the outcome they wanted.

1. The umpire was (according to them) correct.
2. But there cannot be a free for all now on climbing the posts because despite the actual rules of the game laying out the penalty as a free kick, Rampe was at least charged and fined.

Some people may think 'big deal, whatever' but the response to this shows how corrupt the AFL really is right now. They defended an umpiring mistake on the grounds of pragmatism and then charged the guy anyway on a catch all. Now we are all left wondering what weight do the rules of the game actually have, and which ones can be ignored by whom and under what grounds for 'pragmatism'. Gerard and Robbo were right to not let this go on 360 last night. This is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. But there cannot be a free for all now on climbing the posts because despite the actual rules of the game laying out the penalty as a free kick, Rampe was at least charged and fined.

Some people may think 'big deal, whatever' but the response to this shows how corrupt the AFL really is right now. They defended an umpiring mistake on the grounds of pragmatism and then charged the guy anyway on a catch all. Now we are all left wondering what weight do the rules of the game actually have, and which ones can be ignored by whom and under what grounds for 'pragmatism'. Gerard and Robbo were right to not let this go on 360 last night. This is a joke.
To be fair they already proved all that with the Melbourne tanking saga.

Firstly, the whole thing has been handled horribly. I think pretty much everyone can agree on that.

Ok, so unpopular opinion time:
One thing I don't agree with though is that the umpire screwed up. There are countless times in footy that I've heard umpires call out warnings to players to avoid having to whistle a free kick. It happens many times each game. How many times have you heard an ump shout out "back a metre!" to someone manning the mark. Should they just pay 50 instead? I don't think that's what we want.
I think this one could be looked at the same way. Ump sees it, tells him to get down, he gets down immediately, and because the play is not impacted in any way from the action, it is let go.
When you combine that with the fact that the actual rule is about shaking the post, rather than climbing up it, I think it was justified for no free kick to be awarded. (Note - I also think it would have been justified to pay one)

Gil's excuse of "pragmatic umpiring" or whatever the phrasing was, is actually a reasonable one IMO. Unfortunately that rationale is applied very selectively, which is why most people aren't buying it. And that's understandable. That makes it ring very hollow to me too coming from his mouth.
But I said on the night and I still say today that in the spirit of fairness I am glad that a win wasn't handed to the other team purely on the basis of an incident that had no impact whatsoever on the players or the contest.

By far the most disappointing thing for me out of this is that the incident exposed a grey area of the rules, and that grey area was not instantly made black & white like it could and should have been.
I'm cool with forgiving a mistake if simple steps are made to prevent that mistake from occurring again.
Why hasn't a new clause been added to the rules this week the specifically prohibits a player from climbing a post? What if it happens again tonight, and a player lifts his teammate up onto the post and it doesn't wobble? Then the ump is pretty much in a no-win situation whatever he does, which is unacceptable.
Why haven't the AFL made an announcement to clear this up?
IMO they should have clarified the interchange 6-6-6 thing this week as well, in response to Essendon's tactic last weekend, but haven't done that either as far as I'm aware.

Tried the same with Essendon and then WADA came in and dropped the hammer.

Spot on, the one time they have a governing body above them on a specific item they cop it. Tried their usual sweep it under the rug and an organisation with some integrity crushed them. Fantastic.

Yeah that article reads like a gripe of mine from when AD was in charge. So only thing I don't like is how it tries to say "current" administration. The previous one lead us down this path and well here we are.
Seriously no rule about climbing a post? Not too hard to get the think tank together and while you are writing an obviously grey and stupid interpretation of "intending" to shake post to protect those that are pushed against it could have a think about other ways this could protect the game like
"well what if someone jumps at the post?"
"Good one Davo better put that in...oh hold on a sec but if he jumps at it he isn't intentionally shaking it...its just an unintended inevitable consequence...better let that one go"

How hard is it to write that rule that any contact with the goal not deemed accidental will be a free kick on the goal line? Takes out all deliberate manipulation of a post.

And yes how Ablett avoided even a fine over that latest elbow is a miracle that only the AFL can explain.

Yeah that article reads like a gripe of mine from when AD was in charge. So only thing I don't like is how it tries to say "current" administration. The previous one lead us down this path and well here we are.
Seriously no rule about climbing a post? Not too hard to get the think tank together and while you are writing an obviously grey and stupid interpretation of "intending" to shake post to protect those that are pushed against it could have a think about other ways this could protect the game like
"well what if someone jumps at the post?"
"Good one Davo better put that in...oh hold on a sec but if he jumps at it he isn't intentionally shaking it...its just an unintended inevitable consequence...better let that one go"

How hard is it to write that rule that any contact with the goal not deemed accidental will be a free kick on the goal line? Takes out all deliberate manipulation of a post.

And yes how Ablett avoided even a fine over that latest elbow is a miracle that only the AFL can explain.

Yeah I'm not sure if it's just a coming of (middle) age thing for me where nothing is a good as it was but I've felt the decline started when GC and GWS were introduced and the AFL has been on a downwards trajectory since then, but Andy D definitely has a lot to answer for. Greedy fat campaigner he is.

Yeah I'm not sure if it's just a coming of (middle) age thing for me where nothing is a good as it was but I've felt the decline started when GC and GWS were introduced and the AFL has been on a downwards trajectory since then, but Andy D definitely has a lot to answer for. Greedy fat campaigner he is.

Demetriou was the worst thing that happened to the AFL. Most of what I dislike about the game in its current state can be traced back to him either directly or indirectly

Absolute campaigner that allowed the concept of image above substance to flourish and finances to have precedence over integrity. The guy is shady as * and a look at some of his business dealings post AFL only reinforce that view

I don’t think Gil is corrupt but he makes up for that through sheer incompetence

Demetriou was the worst thing that happened to the AFL. Most of what I dislike about the game in its current state can be traced back to him either directly or indirectly

Absolute campaigner that allowed the concept of image above substance to flourish and finances to have precedence over integrity. The guy is shady as **** and a look at some of his business dealings post AFL only reinforce that view

I don’t think Gil is corrupt but he makes up for that through sheer incompetence

Yeah some of his recent business dealings that have come to light are very interesting. Pretty sure he got some payment of around $150k (if I remember correctly) from a company for being a consultant the day before they went bankrupt, then it was investigated and his response was that he couldn't recall what the payment was for. * me, I can remember when someone lends me a fiver for coffee from a cash only place!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back