Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting tactics from Essendon. I noticed they did it earlier in the season but it seemed like a one-off accident at the time. Funnily enough I posted a MB thread at the time asking if what Essendon did was legal, because I could see teams trying it at the end of close games. In true MB style I was called an idiot for even thinking that a team would intentionally start with 1 short.

They deliberately started with 17 on the field and ran a bloke on after the ball was bounced so they could have a spare man on the wing. Very, very nearly came off.

Cheers for that, HB.
I actually enjoy seeing tactics coaches come up with when new rules are applied.
They mostly seem to smash up the reason the new rule was employed......a good reason to just leave the game be IMHO.

Cheers for that, HB.
I actually enjoy seeing tactics coaches come up with when new rules are applied.
They mostly seem to smash up the reason the new rule was employed......a good reason to just leave the game be IMHO.
Spot on. It's almost like people whose sole job is to maximise their teams ability to win will come up with loopholes for untested rules created in boardrooms. It's almost like good coaches always figure the game out, because that's what makes them good at their job. Sport is dynamic and evolves, and when something comes along that could be a barrier, a good coach adjusts and gets things back on their terms no matter what.

Who ******* knew, Gil you flog.

Is it already a rule that 18 must start on the field at all centre bounces? If not, fair play.
I can only assume the rule would be written 'no more than 18 players' or 'no more than six players in each zone', otherwise surely this is easily adjudicated.

I can only assume the rule would be written 'no more than 18 players' or 'no more than six players in each zone', otherwise surely this is easily adjudicated.

Depends if it was intentional or not

So I’ve maintained my perfect donut tipping Melbourne games

Every game I’ve tipped them to win they’ve lost. Whenever I’ve tipped against them they’ve won

Going into tonight’s game I was going to tip us but decided against tempting fate so picked Melbourne

Going to tip them for the rest of the year I think

Every game I’ve tipped them to win they’ve lost. Whenever I’ve tipped against them they’ve won

Going into tonight’s game I was going to tip us but decided against tempting fate so picked Melbourne

The year is so even that tipping is pointless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bulldogs ruined him, gave him a million dollar deal when he was just 20 which he never had the chance to live up to.

Being a #1 draft pick and a million dollar player at 20 is more pressure than any young man would be able to handle.

Ultimately goes down as one of the worst trades of all time IMO, they gave up their captain and $4 million for 60 games and 50 goals.

For a team that had only won one grand final - $4m for a standout game that won them a flag

I think they’d do it again

You're doing the [deity of your choice/cruel and uncaring universe]'s work, my child.

Bank wins. Progressively build form. Challenge for premiership in September, not May.

6-3 is a pretty good spot to be in given how many have had interrupted preseasons.

Collingwood won’t win it this year I don’t think. That’s been my thought most of the year, but they aren’t anywhere near the side that the media makes them about to be.

The Bulldogs ruined him, gave him a million dollar deal when he was just 20 which he never had the chance to live up to.

Being a #1 draft pick and a million dollar player at 20 is more pressure than any young man would be able to handle.

Ultimately goes down as one of the worst trades of all time IMO, they gave up their captain and $4 million for 60 games and 50 goals.
Well, fair point. However Ben Simmons NBA number one draft pick at 20 made $5,903,160 in his first year (US dollars) and seems to have handled it well.

Interesting considering the Nba is way bigger and more scrutinized then AFL is.

It's also much much more professional than the AFL is and no doubt is more used to dealing with managing young, wealthy players. Plus, Simmons was making millions but so were most, if not all of his teammates. Boyd was one of the highest paid players in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back