West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
People claim all sorts of crap on SEN. Some also stated he called him a poof.

However, there is surely more to it than him saying 'flog' warranting an eviction. Maybe it's a misheard word, who knows.
That tweet was from a reporter who interviewed fans sitting in the stands near him.
Plenty more evidence that it was what he said - off reddit:
1560047850432.png

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
One Collingwood fan vs plenty of others who seemed to hear flog.
The 'plenty of others' haven't exactly outed themselves yet. Why would you believe that one anonymous person on Reddit over this Twitter user?

And since when does his allegiance to Collingwood affect things? He has posted some sort of proof that he was actually at the right place to hear it, which that Redditor hasn't.

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
The 'plenty of others' haven't exactly outed themselves yet. Why would you believe that one anonymous person on Reddit over this Twitter user?

And since when does his allegiance to Collingwood affect things? He has posted some sort of proof that he was actually at the right place to hear it, which that Redditor hasn't.
Did you even bother reading the tweet by the reporter that I posted "fans around him confirmed this version to me as well".

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
Did you even bother reading the tweet by the reporter that I posted "fans around him confirmed this version to me as well".
Yes. It's up there with 'sources claimed' and 'many stated that'. Classic weasel words in 'news' articles. Similar phrases were used dozens of times to trigger Meltdown Mario when his media sources claimed that Gaff already signed for North.

Means three-fifths of f***-all until we get more verification.

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes. It's up there with 'sources claimed' and 'many stated that'. Classic weasel words in 'news' articles. Similar phrases were used dozens of times to trigger Meltdown Mario when his media sources claimed that Gaff already signed for North.

Means three-fifths of f***-all until we get more verification.
Ok lets change the discussion up slightly then. Are you ok with the Richmond cheersquad member being banned for 3 games for calling the umpire a green maggot? This has been confirmed as what was said.

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
Ok lets change the discussion up slightly then. Are you ok with the Richmond cheersquad member being banned for 3 games for calling the umpire a green maggot? This has been confirmed.
I have no opinion either way because it is the Richmond cheer squad policing itself. They can set and enforce their own rules however they like. If our cheer squad banned a member for 3 games for holding up McDonalds signs at games I'd also have no opinion either way.

Edit - from The Age article:

The Richmond cheer squad code of conduct states members are "expected to behave in a manner that does not bring the cheer squad or the Richmond Football Club into disrepute".
Acceptable conduct includes being "respectful of others within and around the cheer squad" and to "not use any obscene language". The code of conduct also stipulates the cheer squad area as a no alcohol zone.
A Richmond spokeswoman confirmed the three-game ban was handed down by the club and cheer squad, and said the fan was "happy to take that, and we move on".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I have no opinion either way because it is the Richmond cheer squad policing itself. They can set and enforce their own rules however they like. If our cheer squad banned a member for 3 games for holding up McDonalds signs at games I'd also have no opinion either way.

Edit - from The Age article:
Not sure how you can have an opinion on one thing but not have an opinion on the other when they're fairly similar incidents. Doesn't really matter where the ban/booting out of the stadium originated does it because at the end of the day it seems like both incidents seem to involve a fan calling an umpire something fairly minor in the grand scheme of things and being kicked out or banned from the stadium for it.

HoneyBadger35

Friends, Family, Flex
AFL Club
West Coast
A quick perusal of their non-Freo thread turned up these gems.

Waking up to see Simpson’s whinging, **** me the guy is as bad as the Scott brothers
He is such a whiner
And so it begins
Lower leg injury..
We’re going to stop training here. What a knob. You’re still playing there. Back to back Optus stadium games, and didn’t win 7/8 quarters. Right
In a truly stunning coincidence, three of the four posters above have already complained about Lobb’s news that broke 15 minutes ago.

Biggie

Born is pride, from isolation
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco, Wildcats, ESH

In a truly stunning coincidence, three of the four posters above have already complained about Lobb’s news that broke 15 minutes ago.
I’m shocked to be sitting here.

TY24

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Glory, Wildcats
Not sure how you can have an opinion on one thing but not have an opinion on the other when they're fairly similar incidents. Doesn't really matter where the ban/booting out of the stadium originated does it because at the end of the day it seems like both incidents seem to involve a fan calling an umpire something fairly minor in the grand scheme of things and being kicked out or banned from the stadium for it.
The league is clearly taking a zero tolerance policy when it comes to umpire abuse, which I have no issue with at all.

If a customer came up to me while I was at work and started calling me a red maggot or prick, they’d be asked to leave my store.

When you attend an AFL match, you’re entering a workplace for the players, umpires, officials, etc. Being a ‘footy game’ doesn’t mean it’s not workplace abuse.

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
I don't have an opinion on the latest incident as well. I just said wait for more information and verification.

And as far as I can tell, the Richmond fan is simply banned from the cheer squad and not the game itself.

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
The league is clearly taking a zero tolerance policy when it comes to umpire abuse, which I have no issue with at all.

If a customer came up to me while I was at work and started calling me a red maggot or prick, they’d be asked to leave my store.

When you attend an AFL match, you’re entering a workplace for the players, umpires, officials, etc. Being a ‘footy game’ doesn’t mean it’s not workplace abuse.
Perhaps but at a sporting match there is a degree of latitude for certain forms of abuse that otherwise won't be tolerated in an office. Just like there is a latitude for certain forms of assault (eg crash tackling your boss in the office isn't going to end well normally).

I think jeers related to the eyesight of an umpire are normal and part of the job but homophobic abuse certainly is not.

TY24

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Glory, Wildcats
Perhaps but at a sporting match there is a degree of latitude for certain forms of abuse that otherwise won't be tolerated in an office. Just like there is a latitude for certain forms of assault (eg crash tackling your boss in the office isn't going to end well normally).

I think jeers related to the eyesight of an umpire are normal and part of the job but homophobic abuse certainly is not.
I agree there should be a little bit of leeway, but the league/clubs are clearly setting a precedent and have made an example out of these two fans, which I don’t have an issue with.

HoneyBadger35

Friends, Family, Flex
AFL Club
West Coast

Update: We’ve got the clean sweep, four from four.

Top Bottom