Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ye

yep, both should have gotten a week. Before the season began, the AFL boys came out strongly and said they were going to clean up the game - gut punches would get a week. That all went out the door, and now open slather with elbows is welcome.
Pathetic!

The problem with the MRO/tribunal system is this -

If you look at each decision in isolation they can be justified but when you look at all the decisions as a collective it’s a mess.

There’s no consistency and the messaging is mixed - bump a player with your elbow tucked in but accidentally clash heads take a week despite there being no intention to injure. Raise an elbow/forearm that contacts an opponents head but through pure luck doesn’t do any damage despite the potential for it and not so much as a fine. If it does do damage though you’re looking at weeks

Strikes off the ball are treated leniently provided there’s low impact. A football act like a shepherd or tackle that accidentally results in an injury gets punished.

Under a properly run system penalties should be thoroughly predictable but right now it’s as confusing as it’s ever been

The lame thing is that the AFL site had a scathing article recently on Norf’s recruiting, and singled out Durdin as a highish draft pick who has failed to cement his place.

Bloke has been pretty injury riddled IIRC and now this happens to him for trying to do the right thing

"Contact was made from Burton's shoulder to the chest of Higgins," Christian said.

"I think it's really important to understand that he took reasonable care to execute the bump fairly.

"He couldn't reasonably foresee that there was going to be an accidental clash of heads.”

It’s a lotto.

Cheers for that HoneyBadger I couldn't agree with you more. And Higgins was out for a couple of weeks too. Bumping is a part of the game. All thius crap if you choose to bump instead of tackle needs to be taken to the trash heap. In the words of my 7 year old "Mr Christian is a Dumb Dumb

But it shouldn’t be that way. Some players are bigger than others, some players have weaker jaws. If that’s Joel Selwood instead of Rohan we never hear of it again. That’s impossible to weigh up in a split second as you’re coming in for the perfectly legal hit. His sole intention was to protect his teammate, which he did perfectly and well within the rules. Exactly the same as when Nic was rubbed out for not knowing the other guys height, weight, phone number and mother’s maiden name..

The MRP has the benefit of slow mo and hindsight. What they’re telling Durdin there is not to bump at all just in case you clash heads and knock him out. In which case his teammate probably gets run down by Rohan, they lose the ball, Durdin gets blasted by his coach/everyone else for shirking a contest. Getting punished for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Thought it had to be an illegal action for it to constitute a reportable offence. Nothing illegal about that bump. Disgraceful.
I hope the Roos challenge this on. If he doesn't get off, but Gaz did last week a Riot needs to be planned for AFL House

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The insanity that is the current AFL.

Fold jokes aside, if WCE ceased as an entity tomorrow I wouldn't watch another game of AFL again, I grew up in love with the game but it is now an unrecognizable, corporate shill of a mess that is only interested in $$.

Marlion Pickett here the tigers come.

Hats off to them for identifying talent and making a play to get it on their list, like they did with Stack.

Meanwhile, we just go for basketball backgrounds.

Or maybe, we recognise the sport becoming a non contact game and are planning for the future.

1557807476423.png

Shaun Grigg retires effective immediately - just in time for Richmond to participate in the mid season draft? Think there might be a bit of that coming up.
Smart

Not a fan of the mid season draft though tbh

Shaun Grigg retires effective immediately - just in time for Richmond to participate in the mid season draft? Think there might be a bit of that coming up.

Shaun Grigg. Just hired by the Tigers to do school visits and kids footy clinics at $250kpa.

Fold jokes aside, if WCE ceased as an entity tomorrow I wouldn't watch another game of AFL again, I grew up in love with the game but it is now an unrecognizable, corporate shill of a mess that is only interested in $$.

Fully agree. As a kid in the 90s I watched any game that was on Tv and went to the Eagles games. Used to love Friday night footy when some of those teams that always seemed to get those games, like Carlton and North were actually playing well and had some good players to watch.

I guess as you get older and life has other things to offer, games that don’t involve your team just aren’t really worth the time. Throw in the garbage commentary, ever changing rules etc, and I’m just about out. I actually don’t always watch the Eagles away games live either. I keep up with the scores constantly on my footy apps, and watch a replay if the outcome is good, but a lot of the time I’ve got other things on, and the commentary is so off putting (which I can handle more if I know we win!)

I much prefer being at the game, have some beers, just watch the game and not have to deal with all the s**t that comes with televised footy these days.

Shithouse commentary is the biggest turn off. All the other stuff around the game you can accept but 3 hours of one sided barracking, complaining about the umpires and slobbering over a few select stars just makes the experience unpleasant.

Plenty of times I have been motivated to switch the tube on after hearing a radio call in the car and it's off again 5 minutes later because of the commentators. They just suck the life out of the game with the incessant drivel.

Yeah depending on why it happened i wouldn't wanna watch anything either.

Id put all my footy supporting time into the mighty Norwood Redlegs

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back