Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely he would still hang around to get his $1M a year until the end of his contract? If he has retired, then I assume he has just walked away, mind-boggling!

He's had mental health issues as well, so he might have just reached the point where he couldn't cope with being an AFL level player any more.

Hopefully he can find some stability stepping away from the game.

He had a long term multi-million dollar given to him when he was barely 20 years old and before he had done anything to prove he was worth such a contract beyond potential

It’s sad that a talented footballer walks away from the game. Very easy for fans to criticise from their armchairs and say how easy these well paid players have it but I doubt many of us understand the pressures they are under on a daily basis

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
The Bulldogs ruined him, gave him a million dollar deal when he was just 20 which he never had the chance to live up to.

Being a #1 draft pick and a million dollar player at 20 is more pressure than any young man would be able to handle.

Ultimately goes down as one of the worst trades of all time IMO, they gave up their captain and $4 million for 60 games and 50 goals.

So does this set a precedent for teams offering stupidly long, multimilion dollar deals, knowing a player can retire during it and relieving the salary cap squeeze?

The cynic in me thinks so.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
The Bulldogs ruined him, gave him a million dollar deal when he was just 20 which he never had the chance to live up to.

Being a #1 draft pick and a million dollar player at 20 is more pressure than any young man would be able to handle.

Ultimately goes down as one of the worst trades of all time IMO, they gave up their captain and $4 million for 60 games and 50 goals.

And a flag. One you arguably don't win without Boyd.

He's probably got a nice house or two, mid 20s,no mortgage. Enjoy yourself Tom. Will undoubtedly find his way back kicking a ball around again without all the heat.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
And a flag. One you arguably don't win without Boyd.

He's probably got a nice house or two, mid 20s,no mortgage. Enjoy yourself Tom. Will undoubtedly find his way back kicking a ball around again without all the heat.
Depends how much of a price you put on a flag in the end.
When you've only won 2 in over a century it probably makes it worthwhile

So does this set a precedent for teams offering stupidly long, multimilion dollar deals, knowing a player can retire during it and relieving the salary cap squeeze?

The cynic in me thinks so.

Doubt it

It’s all well and good if the player retires but if he doesn’t they’re stuck with an underperforming player on big dollars

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Neville Jetta? I'd pick a proper small defender over Johanissen...
Also, they gave Charlie Cameron to the Allies.
But your team is a massive improvement over what's been selected by afl.com.au
Jetta is out with a long term injury . With cameron i thought is was where you were drafted from

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Depends how much of a price you put on a flag in the end.
When you've only won 2 in over a century it probably makes it worthwhile

They made a ridiculous amount in premiership merch alone. I reckon they'd see the investment as worthwhile and now they clear up a heap of cap space to go for someone else.

sey666

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Actually 52 games and 42 goals. Agree with the rest.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Doubt it

It’s all well and good if the player retires but if he doesn’t they’re stuck with an underperforming player on big dollars

Or you get the Tippett situation where he's retired but you have to pay him and keep him on the list another year to avoid a salary cap breach.

Or you get the Tippett situation where he's retired but you have to pay him and keep him on the list another year to avoid a salary cap breach.

Ah the Tippett deal. Easy to forget that one but I think that did far more damage to Sydney than the franklin deal ever will. At least they got some quality footy from buddy

Adelaide were fined and lost draft picks over it but they ended up on the right side of that “trade”

So Rampe climbed the post which was deemed worthy of a warning by the umpire but not a free, then ticked off by the AFL and umpires dept, then Rampe was fined for climbing the post and now the AFL is satisfied he didn’t intentionally shake the post.

Whew. What a governing body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

06Premiers

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Lakers

So Rampe climbed the post which was deemed worthy of a warning by the umpire but not a free, then ticked off by the AFL and umpires dept, then Rampe was fined for climbing the post and now the AFL is satisfied he didn’t intentionally shake the post.

NO INTAGRETY

1557989780547.png

1557991157023.png

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

My head hurts trying to step through the logic.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
The problem is that there's no actual rule prohibiting climbing a post. So make one. Now. It ain't difficult. You have 24 hours, AFL. You should need about 1.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Wait, I think I've got it. Of course, it all makes sense now!

The Tribunal system is all based on outcomes. He didn't intentionally shake the post, because the post didn't actually shake. So he got off.

It's like when a player tries to knock someone's block off and misses, it's all good because the other player wasn't hurt. But if you accidentally clash heads with someone and they get concussion, you're f**ed. Outcome trumps intent.

Expect some poor b***** to get suspended this week for accidentally running into a goalpost, making it shake a little.

Wait, I think I've got it. Of course, it all makes sense now!

The Tribunal system is all based on outcomes. He didn't intentionally shake the post, because the post didn't actually shake. So he got off.

It's like when a player tries to knock someone's block off and misses, it's all good because the other player wasn't hurt. But if you accidentally clash heads with someone and they get concussion, you're f**ed. Outcome trumps intent.

Expect some poor b***** to get suspended this week for accidentally running into a goalpost, making it shake a little.

Good thing EMac has retired then

I won’t rest until Wingard is retroactively banned for this despicable act.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Rampe should appeal his fine then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back