Status
Not open for further replies.

twinkletoes#17

Coaster
May 30, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Just read this story on another site, the AFL is doing their best to run this game into the ground. Seems like they'd prefer us to sit in the stands and politely golf clap every piece of play, good or bad, probably even their sh|tty video review decisions. This one goes on to say that a Richmond cheersquad member got banned for 3 games for calling the umpire a green maggot. : https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/c...-nicholls-ng-350caca1a066364641de93227e735fa8

This is the 3rd time in a couple of weeks - first guy got 3 weeks for calling them a maggot, 2nd got kicked out of a game for calling them a dog and the 3rd kicked out for calling them a flog.

AFL came out this week saying they were not cracking down on umpire 'abuse' and yet here we are at the point of having people kicked out of a game for using the word flog... or maybe pointing out someones lack of hair was the issue

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Depends, if you keep directing torrents of abuse at umpires (even if it's not racist or sexist or homophobic) and the AFL and the stadiums and the clubs let it slide - why would people want to become an umpire?

I always believe that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, and if you're paying umpires a pittance to cop abuse every weekend then the best will do something else and the standard of umpiring becomes even more poor.
Compared to what they used to cop being called a flog is very, very mild. But lets play this game, is there not middle ground between nothing and detaining the bloke for an hour and kicking him out of the stadium? Perhaps a member of security or even the club going over and having a quiet word in the guys ear to cool off a bit might have done the trick for example.
By all means though, if you want a bland, watered down, overly PC football experience keep defending someone being kicked out of the game for pretty much nothing.

Compared to what they used to cop being called a flog is very, very mild. But lets play this game, is there not middle ground between nothing and detainign the bloke for an hour and kicking him out of the stadium? Perhaps a member of security or even the club going over and having a quiet word in the guys ear to cool off a bit might have done the trick for example.
By all means though, if you want a bland, watered down, overly PC football experience keep defending someone being kicked out of the game for pretty much nothing.

I highly doubt the umpire was merely called a 'bald-headed flog' on one occasion to warrant a stadium eviction. The only evidence of that claim I've seen is from the fan himself, by the way.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I highly doubt the umpire was merely called a 'bald-headed flog' on one occasion to warrant a stadium eviction. The only evidence of that claim I've seen is from the fan himself, by the way.
This seems to be exactly what happened, and seems to have been confirmed by fans in the area
1560047142453.png

SEN also about to discuss this topic btw.
https://www.sen.com.au/listen-live/

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
People claim all sorts of crap on SEN. Some also stated he called him a NTTAWWT.

However, there is surely more to it than him saying 'flog' warranting an eviction. Maybe it's a misheard word, who knows.
That tweet was from a reporter who interviewed fans sitting in the stands near him.
Plenty more evidence that it was what he said - off reddit:
1560047850432.png

That tweet was from a reporter who interviewed fans sitting in the stands near him.
Plenty more evidence that it was what he said - off reddit:
View attachment 689349

I'm going to wait for more information before casting dispersions like Brad Scott.

One Collingwood fan vs plenty of others who seemed to hear flog.

The 'plenty of others' haven't exactly outed themselves yet. Why would you believe that one anonymous person on Reddit over this Twitter user?

And since when does his allegiance to Collingwood affect things? He has posted some sort of proof that he was actually at the right place to hear it, which that Redditor hasn't.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The 'plenty of others' haven't exactly outed themselves yet. Why would you believe that one anonymous person on Reddit over this Twitter user?

And since when does his allegiance to Collingwood affect things? He has posted some sort of proof that he was actually at the right place to hear it, which that Redditor hasn't.
Did you even bother reading the tweet by the reporter that I posted "fans around him confirmed this version to me as well".

Did you even bother reading the tweet by the reporter that I posted "fans around him confirmed this version to me as well".

Yes. It's up there with 'sources claimed' and 'many stated that'. Classic weasel words in 'news' articles. Similar phrases were used dozens of times to trigger Meltdown Mario when his media sources claimed that Gaff already signed for North.

Means three-fifths of f***-all until we get more verification.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes. It's up there with 'sources claimed' and 'many stated that'. Classic weasel words in 'news' articles. Similar phrases were used dozens of times to trigger Meltdown Mario when his media sources claimed that Gaff already signed for North.

Means three-fifths of f***-all until we get more verification.
Ok lets change the discussion up slightly then. Are you ok with the Richmond cheersquad member being banned for 3 games for calling the umpire a green maggot? This has been confirmed as what was said.

Ok lets change the discussion up slightly then. Are you ok with the Richmond cheersquad member being banned for 3 games for calling the umpire a green maggot? This has been confirmed.

I have no opinion either way because it is the Richmond cheer squad policing itself. They can set and enforce their own rules however they like. If our cheer squad banned a member for 3 games for holding up McDonalds signs at games I'd also have no opinion either way.

Edit - from The Age article:

The Richmond cheer squad code of conduct states members are "expected to behave in a manner that does not bring the cheer squad or the Richmond Football Club into disrepute".
Acceptable conduct includes being "respectful of others within and around the cheer squad" and to "not use any obscene language". The code of conduct also stipulates the cheer squad area as a no alcohol zone.

A Richmond spokeswoman confirmed the three-game ban was handed down by the club and cheer squad, and said the fan was "happy to take that, and we move on".

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I have no opinion either way because it is the Richmond cheer squad policing itself. They can set and enforce their own rules however they like. If our cheer squad banned a member for 3 games for holding up McDonalds signs at games I'd also have no opinion either way.

Edit - from The Age article:
Not sure how you can have an opinion on one thing but not have an opinion on the other when they're fairly similar incidents. Doesn't really matter where the ban/booting out of the stadium originated does it because at the end of the day it seems like both incidents seem to involve a fan calling an umpire something fairly minor in the grand scheme of things and being kicked out or banned from the stadium for it.

A quick perusal of their non-Freo thread turned up these gems.

Waking up to see Simpson’s whinging, **** me the guy is as bad as the Scott brothers

He is such a whiner

And so it begins

Lower leg injury..
We’re going to stop training here. What a knob. You’re still playing there. Back to back Optus stadium games, and didn’t win 7/8 quarters. Right

In a truly stunning coincidence, three of the four posters above have already complained about Lobb’s news that broke 15 minutes ago.

A quick perusal of their non-Freo thread turned up these gems.

In a truly stunning coincidence, three of the four posters above have already complained about Lobb’s news that broke 15 minutes ago.
I’m shocked to be sitting here.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Optus stadium and new training grounds for both WA sides contributing to a lot of foot and soft tissue injuries .

Eagles are training at subi a fair bit at the moment as lathlain is very hard also .

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Not sure how you can have an opinion on one thing but not have an opinion on the other when they're fairly similar incidents. Doesn't really matter where the ban/booting out of the stadium originated does it because at the end of the day it seems like both incidents seem to involve a fan calling an umpire something fairly minor in the grand scheme of things and being kicked out or banned from the stadium for it.

The league is clearly taking a zero tolerance policy when it comes to umpire abuse, which I have no issue with at all.

If a customer came up to me while I was at work and started calling me a red maggot or prick, they’d be asked to leave my store.

When you attend an AFL match, you’re entering a workplace for the players, umpires, officials, etc. Being a ‘footy game’ doesn’t mean it’s not workplace abuse.

I don't have an opinion on the latest incident as well. I just said wait for more information and verification.

And as far as I can tell, the Richmond fan is simply banned from the cheer squad and not the game itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back