Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The league is clearly taking a zero tolerance policy when it comes to umpire abuse, which I have no issue with at all.

If a customer came up to me while I was at work and started calling me a red maggot or prick, they’d be asked to leave my store.

When you attend an AFL match, you’re entering a workplace for the players, umpires, officials, etc. Being a ‘footy game’ doesn’t mean it’s not workplace abuse.

Perhaps but at a sporting match there is a degree of latitude for certain forms of abuse that otherwise won't be tolerated in an office. Just like there is a latitude for certain forms of assault (eg crash tackling your boss in the office isn't going to end well normally).

I think jeers related to the eyesight of an umpire are normal and part of the job but homophobic abuse certainly is not.

Perhaps but at a sporting match there is a degree of latitude for certain forms of abuse that otherwise won't be tolerated in an office. Just like there is a latitude for certain forms of assault (eg crash tackling your boss in the office isn't going to end well normally).

I think jeers related to the eyesight of an umpire are normal and part of the job but homophobic abuse certainly is not.

I agree there should be a little bit of leeway, but the league/clubs are clearly setting a precedent and have made an example out of these two fans, which I don’t have an issue with.

A quick perusal of their non-Freo thread turned up these gems.

In a truly stunning coincidence, three of the four posters above have already complained about Lobb’s news that broke 15 minutes ago.

Update: We’ve got the clean sweep, four from four.

The league is clearly taking a zero tolerance policy when it comes to umpire abuse, which I have no issue with at all.

If a customer came up to me while I was at work and started calling me a red maggot or prick, they’d be asked to leave my store.

When you attend an AFL match, you’re entering a workplace for the players, umpires, officials, etc. Being a ‘footy game’ doesn’t mean it’s not workplace abuse.
Sorry but it's not the same thing, you don't expect to cop it at your job, an AFL umpire goes out there knowing they're going to be yelled at and booed at, it's part of the job and has been for living memory. They know this and accept this when they go out on the field.
Your kind of thinking is going to end up with crowds that act like they're watching a North Korean chess match with armed soldiers standing guard to ensure they don't yell or clap something out of line with the officially sanctioned cheers.
Not a world that I or I would wager the majority of people out there want to be part of.
Now if he had made a homophobic or racist comment then that would be a different story.

Update: We’ve got the clean sweep, four from four.
They're more likely to complain about the Cockburn surface to be fair. There's a group of supporters who are determined to move us back into Freo, and the hard Cockburn surface has been a point of contention since the start.

Sorry but it's not the same thing, you don't expect to cop it at your job, an AFL umpire goes out there knowing they're going to be yelled at and booed at, it's part of the job and has been for living memory. They know this and accept this when they go out on the field.
Your kind of thinking is going to end up with crowds that act like they're watching a North Korean chess match with armed soldiers standing guard to ensure they don't yell or clap something out of line with the officially sanctioned cheers.
Not a world that I or I would wager the majority of people out there want to be part of.
Now if he had made a homophobic or racist comment then that would be a different story.

Massive overreaction IMO.

It’s possible to go to a footy match and get behind your team without hurling abuse at the umpires or players.

It’s possible to go to a footy match and get behind your team without hurling abuse at the umpires or players.
Sure is, I don't do it.
But as long as people don't go over the top I enjoy other people doing it as part of the experience of going to the game. I don't the the world to end up as a sanitised, humourless place where people can't express themselves.

Sure is, I don't do it.
But as long as people don't go over the top I enjoy other people doing it as part of the experience of going to the game. I don't the the world to end up as a sanitised, humourless place where people can't express themselves.

I whole heartedly agree with that.

I have no issue with people showing frustration at a s**t decision, but there’s a line. When people start personally insulting the umpire rather than just being generally disgruntled that’s where the issues start.

I whole heartedly agree with that.

I have no issue with people showing frustration at a **** decision, but there’s a line. When people start personally insulting the umpire rather than just being generally disgruntled that’s where the issues start.
I don't think calling him a bald headed flog from the 10th row steps over the line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're more likely to complain about the Cockburn surface to be fair. There's a group of supporters who are determined to move us back into Freo, and the hard Cockburn surface has been a point of contention since the start.

They could train on the beach! Gotta be some benefit to being in Cockburn. Sand is nice and soft ;)

Do you work in an industry that people pay to go and see you at work? I pay a lot of money to go and watch the football every two weeks, a lot of money. I feel I have a right to express my displeasure when umpires make the wrong call. Just like I do when players screw up a basic play. At the end of the day the people on that oval are professions who get paid plenty to be there.

I have had had to deal with people at work who have brought me to tears with their conduct towards me. They are considered customers and I would be in big trouble if I retaliated. Nothing is ever said to them about this. You just have to harden up and get on with it.

My husband was a cop for 25 years, do you think he hasn’t heard it all and had every choice frase and word hurled at him over that time? He is now an umpire in the amatures and just laughs at what people call him. Geez he even won “Maggot of the Year” a couple of years ago.

The umpires and AFL seriously need to harden up. I would have an issue with people abusing kids at lower levels who are learning, but if you are an adult you know what you signed up for so get on with it.

Do you work in an industry that people pay to go and see you at work? I pay a lot of money to go and watch the football every two weeks, a lot of money. I feel I have a right to express my displeasure when umpires make the wrong call. Just like I do when players screw up a basic play. At the end of the day the people on that oval are professions who get paid plenty to be there.

I have had had to deal with people at work who have brought me to tears with their conduct towards me. They are considered customers and I would be in big trouble if I retaliated. Nothing is ever said to them about this. You just have to harden up and get on with it.

My husband was a cop for 25 years, do you think he hasn’t heard it all and had every choice frase and word hurled at him over that time? He is now an umpire in the amatures and just laughs at what people call him. Geez he even won “Maggot of the Year” a couple of years ago.

The umpires and AFL seriously need to harden up. I would have an issue with people abusing kids at lower levels who are learning, but if you are an adult you know what you signed up for so get on with it.
You make some really good points. One thing the AFL is overlooking is that if you kill the atmosphere at games, people will be less likely to go. If attendance drops, so will club membership which will hit clubs bottom lines. There will also be much less reasons for state governments to keep subsidising AFL infrastructure.

I agree that racial and homosexual slurs should have zero tolerance, however I am not going to sit at a game and not boo or criticise poor performance. Part of the role of a home fan is to make the home ground as uncomfortable as possible for the opposition.

I could do without the guy at every footy game (bar soulless Swans games) who manages to yell 'white maggots' a decade too late and yet every couple of minutes.

Fans should be just a bit cleverer when they pick their moments. I'm all for wellworded umpire abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back