Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Probably as prevalent as it has been in the past but men are now more comfortable speaking out about it.

Which is a good thing.
+ clubs are more comfortable about treating it like a health issue so are giving players time off for it.

I’m sure it’s not that much more prevalent than ever

Probably as prevalent as it has been in the past but men are now more comfortable speaking out about it.

Which is a good thing.
From a man that is a long time depression and anxiety sufferer, I am really happy that alot of the stigma has been taken away from the condition. There are still alot of old timers out there that don't believe Mental Illness exists, so getting through them is a harder task.

I don’t think playing cricket there is damaging it, I think it’s more that initially, the turf and the underlay materials would’ve been chosen with both footy and cricket in mind. Cricket wants a harder faster deck for more runs, and also so it could play as close to the traditional WACA surface as possible. Had it been designed solely for footy, you’d think the ground would have been deliberately made softer.

So in short, cricket is partly to blame, but probably more in the planning and initial build stages rather than after the fact and actually playing cricket there.

I don’t think playing cricket there is damaging it, I think it’s more that initially, the turf and the underlay materials would’ve been chosen with both footy and cricket in mind. Cricket wants a harder faster deck for more runs, and also so it could play as close to the traditional WACA surface as possible. Had it been designed solely for footy, you’d think the ground would have been deliberately made softer.

So in short, cricket is partly to blame, but probably more in the planning and initial build stages rather than after the fact and actually playing cricket there.
The WACA wash, or used to be, largely under water in winter.
Its all a mystery to me - what can be done rip it up and relay it with a differnt soil structure?

Maybe water on the surface doesn’t effect the softness because if what’s underneath the grass??? I don’t know, we’d need a turf expert I guess to explain it and come up with a solution. It must be easier said than done though if were still having these issues 18 months into playing games there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back