Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Cats run home is way too favourable for them to not finish first, but keeping them playing and preventing them from resting in R22 is big. Maybe they have a dumb slip up, but just keep the bastards honest.
Mate, I'd prefer they just cruised into 1st place while 'managing' players in the final rounds. It tends to be a curse more than a blessing. See Richmond last year, Port in the early 2000's, several others over the years.

You're better off having to fight for your place against the better sides, than sewing things up early with some soft kills in the run home.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
A draw would be nice this Friday. I'm always appreciative of just how much chaos a draw can add to ladder positions

Could get lucky next week, I see Hawks beating Brisbane as a definite possibility. We've had a few chances at it and have screwed it, so fingers crossed next round is us locking in 2nd spot!

Big_Birdy

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
When was the last time a preliminary finalist finished second last the following year?

Don't think it has happened in AFL era. Closest would be (stand to be corrected):

Melbourne 1998 Prelim to 3rd bottom 1999 (LOL)

Richmond 2001 Prelim to 3rd bottom 2002

West Coast Semi Final 2007 to 2nd bottom 2008 (not so LOL)

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
Melbourne 1998 Prelim to 3rd bottom 1999 (LOL)
Melbourne also hold two other unenviable records; swiftest decent from premier to last (1951-54), and only wooden spooner to win their first and last game of the season (1997)

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
A draw would be nice this Friday. I'm always appreciative of just how much chaos a draw can add to ladder positions

Could get lucky next week, I see Hawks beating Brisbane as a definite possibility. We've had a few chances at it and have screwed it, so fingers crossed next round is us locking in 2nd spot!

Won't be easy getting over norf - we have mounting injuries, and half our defense might be out. Worried about the norf game.

Mate, I'd prefer they just cruised into 1st place while 'managing' players in the final rounds. It tends to be a curse more than a blessing. See Richmond last year, Port in the early 2000's, several others over the years.

You're better off having to fight for your place against the better sides, than sewing things up early with some soft kills in the run home.

I just want Brisbane to cop the L when they face in R22. What they want to do in R23 or even before then is up to them.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I just want Brisbane to cop the L when they face in R22. What they want to do in R23 or even before then is up to them.
Depends on the situation before round 22. If Geelong drop another two before then and we keep winning, I’d prefer Brisbane joining us in the top 2. Imagine the melts from the Vic media. Adelaide and GWS taking 5th and 6th would top it right off.

Edit: Thought the cats were only 1 game clear.. doesn’t look likely they’ll drop another 2 before Brissie.

Double edit: They are only a game clear.. Ladder hadn’t updated 🤦🏻‍♂️ If they lose 1 more before Brisbane I’d definitely want Brissie taking that one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back