Oppo Camp Non Eagles Discussion thread - 2016 Finals/offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
West Coast
What's with Doggies and Stringer? Hadn't played his best footy prior to being dropped, and thought it was courageous (and great) of them to drop him but would've thought leading in to finals they'd want one of their clearly best 22 in the side to get some momentum. You know, the usual, you're not that good that you can't play in the magoos, so pull your head in type omission. Am I just shocked because I'm so used to seeing supposedly best 22 players at the Eagles get a free ride through poor form and effort? Or is there something more to it? Seems odd.

What's with Doggies and Stringer? Hadn't played his best footy prior to being dropped, and thought it was courageous (and great) of them to drop him but would've thought leading in to finals they'd want one of their clearly best 22 in the side to get some momentum. You know, the usual, you're not that good that you can't play in the magoos, so pull your head in type omission. Am I just shocked because I'm so used to seeing supposedly best 22 players at the Eagles get a free ride through poor form and effort? Or is there something more to it? Seems odd.
Bulldogs are playing Fremantle

Stringer will get a more competitive hit out playing VFL

Whatever stance they are taking and regardless of how he plays in the VFL he will be in for their Elim final.
I will be extremely surprised if he isn't rushed back in next week and ultimately sends the messages that we tried to send a message but you have the ability to win football matches so err um consider the lesson deferred until a more convenient time in the future :)

Whatever stance they are taking and regardless of how he plays in the VFL he will be in for their Elim final.
I will be extremely surprised if he isn't rushed back in next week and ultimately sends the messages that we tried to send a message but you have the ability to win football matches so err um consider the lesson deferred until a more convenient time in the future :)
Which is why I would've thought a one week, clip-on-the-wrist type omission would've served them better. Won't make them look like asses if he has a s**t game and still gets brought in for the 1st final.

Mind you, not really sure how he went last week at VFL. He must've been shite or pissed someone off.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Which is why I would've thought a one week, clip-on-the-wrist type omission would've served them better. Won't make them look like asses if he has a s**t game and still gets brought in for the 1st final.

Mind you, not really sure how he went last week at VFL. He must've been shite or pissed someone off.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Stringer's VFL stats from the weekend here:

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_...192152616&client=1-118-150490-392693-20320223

Not great and not terrible.

Bulldogs do the right thing, drop a "super star" player who's out of form.

We keep playing Le Cras all year to the detriment of the team and development of youngsters...

Bulldogs do the right thing, drop a "super star" player who's out of form.

We keep playing Le Cras all year to the detriment of the team and development of youngsters...
Yep. Lecca most certainly should have had a spell earlier in the year. He's played a few good games later in the year but I suspect they would have come sooner if he was dropped earlier on.

I guess when you become a senior cit you're not allowed to be dropped

Which youngsters would do a better job in Lecras spot?
They'd get a taste of AFL footy and therefore their development would benefit.

Nobody is saying drop Lecca because we have better players to replace him with - it's about sending a message plus blooding the kids.

Nobody is saying drop Lecca because we have better players to replace him with
I'd say the below post states that in a roundabout way
We keep playing Le Cras all year to the detriment of the team

Unless there is a standout forward pocket player dominating for East Perth week in week out, we play the Best 22 of which Lecras is certainly a part of. Lecras isn't even 30 yet. You only blood the young players without form when you are in a list rebuild or when you have no choice.

Unless there is a standout forward pocket player dominating for East Perth week in week out, we play the Best 22 of which Lecras is certainly a part of. Lecras isn't even 30 yet. You only blood the young players without form when you are in a list rebuild or when you have no choice.
Think he meant detriment of the team in other ways (youngster development, morale of youngsters/reward for effort, medium/long term form of Le Cras - if you share the presumption that dropping him will give him impetus to work harder)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs aren't rebuilding. They dropped Stringer in favour of youngster Toby McLean (15 games) it also allowed them to blood Roarke Smith (1 game).

They were playing Essendon and now Fremantle, which is the time when you drop your underperforming players.

We chose to gift Le Cras with FTB games against St Kilda and GC, for example, instead of using them as opportunities.

youngster development
Develop them in the WAFL until they produce consistent form to earn a senior spot. None of our guys have.
morale of youngsters/reward for effort
Reward for effort would surely mean earning a spot in the team, not being gifted one because you are young?
medium/long term form of Le Cras
He's only scoring 0.2 goals less than he was last year, and was in All Australian contention then. I agree that he could and probably should be playing better, but you don't drop someone to the WAFL unless you have a ready replacement, especially when you are a finals side. Nobody at East Perth could come in and play at Lecras' level so I wouldnt be dropping him.

Bulldogs aren't rebuilding. They dropped Stringer in favour of youngster Toby McLean (15 games) it also allowed them to blood Roarke Smith (1 game).

They were playing Essendon and now Fremantle, which is the time when you drop your underperforming players.

We chose to gift Le Cras with FTB games against St Kilda and GC, for example, instead of using them as opportunities.
Toby McLean from all reports kills it in the VFL on a regular basis, so you would say that he earnt his spot over Stringer. On form, McLean was a better option for Stringer and allowed the Bulldogs to drop him to regain form.
I wouldnt be against us dropping Lecras to the WAFL at some stage, but only when we had a suitable replacement. If we didn't, we would be making our team weaker which should never be a goal unless you are tanking for picks.

Toby McLean from all reports kills it in the VFL on a regular basis, so you would say that he earnt his spot over Stringer. On form, McLean was a better option for Stringer and allowed the Bulldogs to drop him to regain form.
I wouldnt be against us dropping Lecras to the WAFL at some stage, but only when we had a suitable replacement. If we didn't, we would be making our team weaker which should never be a goal unless you are tanking for picks.

Agree to a point. I mean, I think the perfect game/s to have dropped LeCras would've been Brisbane away and/or Essendon at home, either side of the bye. Would miss two games, but potentially play three in the WAFL. Although, I do also acknowledge that they would've wanted to give old man LeCras his time off too. I don't think there were too many doubts we could account for those two teams even as you say if we had slightly weakened the team.

As for the fact that no one has really knocked the door down pushing him out, that is a poor argument and is something that breeds complacency, particularly in the senior guys if a strong message isn't sent. But consider for instance that Tunbridge was brought in on the back of arguably some uninspiring form, was given a semi-decent run at it, and did start to show some good signs. Could that have worked if it had been tried earlier in the year by dropping Lecca? At the end of the day, these are all 'shoulda, coulda, wouldas' and we'll never know how they might have affected the team. I see your point, and it is a bit of better the devil you know. I just think we had the opportunity to give the devil we know a kick up the ass to get him performing a bit earlier in the season without it affecting our overall outcome too much.

Dropping someone to the reserve grade doesn't necessarily mean they will come back better. Sure it works for some, but not for all.

True. But for the most part these are pretty competitive individuals who, on balance, you'd think would feel would have their pride dented by being dropped to the reserves. Particularly a former AA. But, and I think this is the point a few on here are trying to make, it also sends a broader message to the playing group about complacency and no player being too important to not be dropped.

A bit like Stringer at the Doggies I guess. No one seriously thinks Essendon or Freo are going to upset the Doggies without him but its an opportunity to send a message not just to Stringer but to the group.

Is anyone else being asked to set a margin for Hawks v Pies on Footytips website instead of tonight's game? Not sure if glitch or trap..

That was the original first listed game of the round before the schedule got shuffled

Peter Bell's last day on 6PR :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back