Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it makes a difference, we have a constitutional freedom of religion and can't descriminate on the basis of employment because of it. Discriminating because of it will lead to a rather large settlement or even larger court case where Essendon will lose.
I think there is a fair argument that they are not discriminating on religious grounds at all. They are telling him to make a choice between holding 2 positions but they have not let him go and they have not asked him to denounce his religion, only to step aside from that specific role if he wants to continue as Bombers CEO.

I think there is a fair argument that they are not discriminating on religious grounds at all. They are telling him to make a choice between holding 2 positions but they have not let him go and they have not asked him to denounce his religion, only to step aside from that specific role if he wants to continue as Bombers CEO.

This is just the info I have. He was employed without conditions. After backlash he was forced by his employed the next day to choose. Forcing him to choose between his religion and position within it and his job will not end well in court for Essendon.

I suggest there will highly likely be an out of court settlement paid.

This is just the info I have. He was employed without conditions. After backlash he was forced by his employed the next day to choose. Forcing him to choose between his religion and position within it and his job will not end well in court for Essendon.

It's pretty rare people are employed without any conditions.

Most contracts have a probationary period, which generally gives the right to terminate with little notice (often may have to pay a week or a few weeks wage).

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree that is the most likely outcome but not sure the religious discrimination will hold up as he wasn't asked to walk away from his church. I'd say Don's lawyers will be reluctant to test it in a court though so settlement will be most likely.

It can't impose religious restrictions after already employing the person. It's that simple. They could have discriminated beforehand, but making a demand after employment will only go 1 way.

Sure.

But your original post was that it was 'unconstitutional' to discriminate on the basis of religion for employment. There is no such thing unless it is for an office under the Commonwealth.

It's pretty rare people are employed without any conditions.

Most contracts have a probationary period, which generally gives the right to terminate with little notice (often may have to pay a week or a few weeks wage).

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app
rarer for contractual conditions (outside of the obvious church based orgs) to include religious issues.

What is resonable to assume is that the Bombers are smart enough to not go to court so this will be dealt with quietly.

What is resonable to assume is that the Bombers are smart enough

You sure about that ?

History over the last decade or so hints otherwise

Both parties need to agree to a settlement. There's a decent chance (given he picked his position in his church over the Bombers position he arranged for himself) that Thorburn thinks "At last! My chance to fight the persecution of Christians in court!" and refuses to settle.

When Christians discriminate against someone for their beliefs and/or sexual orientation it's religious freedom.
When someone discriminates against Christians for their beliefs it's persecution.
No- one should be surprised by the bread buttering on both sides illogic, it's how the whole circus operates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the 4 people arrested is an AFL umpire

The last days of Gil are going swimmingly

Gil really should have jumped at the end of 2021.

Him hanging around has coincided with a racism/player welfare scandal and a betting scandal so far. He still has to announce Tassie and resolve pay negations with the AFLPA.

When Christians discriminate against someone for their beliefs and/or sexual orientation it's religious freedom.
When someone discriminates against Christians for their beliefs it's persecution.

No- one should be surprised by the bread buttering on both sides illogic, it's how the whole circus operates.
Ummm...

Other religions are exactly the same.

Umpire involved in the betting scandal has been named - Michael Pell

Can’t say I’ve heard of him, like most umpires

Sounds like he’s told a mate(s) who got votes in games he umpired and they’ve collected on spot bets

Came to light after one betting agency noticed that one punter was always winning on bets he was placing.

Went to the AFL who then contacted other agencies who found the same irregularities

Common denominator in the games was Pell

Someone is going to jail

Umpired our R14 game against Geelong and R20 against Gold Coast

3 Guthrie
2 Menegola
1 Stengle

3 Miller
2 Darling
1 Anderson

Clearly we got stitched up 😎
Gave us 2/12 votes, that's about 150% higher than what the rest were running at. He's innocent I say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back