Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Norf revealing they were aware of the now revealed multiple allegations against Thomas and won't be standing him down, but have privately been developing programs to support and educate him.

Big ick.
The contrast between the handling/reporting of the allegations against Thomas and the circus that popped up when DeGoey was seen fraternising with a woman in Bali is quite stark

It’s been a very muted reaction to some pretty off alleged actions, even accounting for the possibility that the news story might have been putting some mayo on what was alleged

The contrast between the handling/reporting of the allegations against Thomas and the circus that popped up when DeGoey was seen fraternising with a woman in Bali is quite stark

It’s been a very muted reaction to some pretty off alleged actions, even accounting for the possibility that the news story might have been putting some mayo on what was alleged
Add the contrast in norfs comments when omitting JHF for missing an ice bath.

Do love the AFL Integrity Unit keeping it all hush hush and letting him play in 2022 whilst supporting Norf in setting up some educational programs, and then the media rip the lid off it all.

Dat integrity
I’ve never been a fan of accusers going to the press in these types of cases rather than through official channels

But it’s hard to argue if you want something actually done going to the press is the best option

Thomas just looks like a fin twat. Also one of those kids that that wants the lifestyle of being a famous athlete than actually being a good footballer. Pitty cause he was very promising a few years ago but turned into a spud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PR is easy when nobody cares about your organisation

I’ve never been a fan of accusers going to the press in these types of cases rather than through official channels
Not sure what the official channels are meant to be here but I thought I read they had contacted the club and AFL previously and there has been a police investigation, so it doesn’t seem as if the first step was going to the press.

They have to spend a minimum of 95% of the salary cap, who else are they going to give it to?
Yeah.

The 95% rule was designed as an equalization measure but it actually has the opposite effect.
You end up with teams that have a list of spuds overpaying mediocre players to reach the 95%.
And then they don't have the excess cash to splurge on signing marquee players... because they are spending so much on spuds.

The 95% rule was designed as an equalization measure but it actually has the opposite effect.
I'm not aware of the full reasoning on its introduction, but from snippets I recall it was sought by the players association to ensure teams were paying players appropriately.

It came up in the mid 2000s IIRC when the media started taking swipes at Freo for paying their dud players too much, so it's been a known issue for a long while.

Not sure what the official channels are meant to be here but I thought I read they had contacted the club and AFL previously and there has been a police investigation, so it doesn’t seem as if the first step was going to the press.
This was the point I was trying to make. In this instance the women seem to have done the “right” thing by going to the AFL/North first and not much got done

Then the media get hold of it and things happen

After seeing the way this was handled do you think the next person with an issue is going to the relevant club/AFL or the media?

This was the point I was trying to make. In this instance the women seem to have done the “right” thing by going to the AFL/North first and not much got done

Then the media get hold of it and things happen

After seeing the way this was handled do you think the next person with an issue is going to the relevant club/AFL or the media?
Gotcha. Yeah it’s a shame that these victims have likely been affected negatively by trying to do the right thing. Going straight to the media can backfire in these scenarios too though, I imagine. s**t situation for them all round.

Do love the AFL Integrity Unit keeping it all hush hush and letting him play in 2022 whilst supporting Norf in setting up some educational programs, and then the media rip the lid off it all.

Dat integrity
He was demoted to the VFL team for the latter part of the season, which a lot of fans found confusing and didn’t understand why.

Guess we why, now.

I'm not aware of the full reasoning on its introduction, but from snippets I recall it was sought by the players association to ensure teams were paying players appropriately.

It came up in the mid 2000s IIRC when the media started taking swipes at Freo for paying their dud players too much, so it's been a known issue for a long while.

It was to prevent smaller clubs trying to save money by not paying the full amount of the salary cap. Minimum list sizes were designed to do a similar thing- stop clubs cutting costs by running with a smaller list

Partly it’s an equalisation measure - to save the paupers from themselves by preventing them from paying smaller lists on less money to stay financial. Those clubs also get an AFL top up so they can afford to spend the salary cap

It’s also the AFLPA making sure players as a collective get what they’re after

In reality it’s a dumb system for the reasons pointed out earlier. Clubs that are developing a list are forced to pay overs to players just to retain them, then don’t have the money to keep them/attract other players because they don’t have the space. GWS and Gold Coast have been hurt by this in particular

Clubs should be held to maintaining a salary cap over a rolling 5 year period, maybe longer so cap space can be saved in poor years to help retain players in good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back