Oppo Camp Non-Essendon AFLW Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Price doubling down on his recent comments about AFLW, cites poor crowd numbers, but dismisses the Crows vs Port 20 000 crowd as simply because there is nothing else to do in Adelaide.

In response to low scores at the turn of last century, when the Mens game was at it's infancy, just as the Womens game is now, blames it on a lack of transport, ie: horse and cart.

What a dinosaur!🦖

I have 3 daughters, 2 of them never had the opportunity to keep playing AFL in their teens, only the youngest did. Where as my Son was afforded the opportunity to keep playing due to his gender.

Now that we are at least trying to shift the balance, and give everyone with an ounce of talent an opportunity to showcase their potential, we still have 🤡 like Price sticking the boot in. What a *******!
It's another example of the anti-'woke' mentality of white men from the good old days who seek to perpetuate their privelege instead of waking up to its inequity. They're frustrating and boring at the same time.

The busy-ness of my life and the timing of the AFLW season haven't aligned well this year, but to say it's not an exciting comp to watch is crap.

Go Cats. New stand already making the ground look a million times better. Are they dubbing fake crowd noise on the broadcast? Understand the crowd is all sitting on the broadcast side for some strange reason, but it doesn't seem to sync up to the totally one eyed Geelong barracking I'd expect

Go Cats. New stand already making the ground look a million times better. Are they dubbing fake crowd noise on the broadcast? Understand the crowd is all sitting on the broadcast side for some strange reason, but it doesn't seem to sync up to the totally one eyed Geelong barracking I'd expect
I think rusted on AFLW fans tend to sit broadcast side because the game is generally played on one wing all game and you can’t see s**t from the wrong side

And sucks that cats are out. Was keen on watching them in the finals.

They only just painted up one of the local busses with Cats AFLW photos and the slogans "She is finals" and "We are finals". I dunno what that is supposed to mean but it looked pretty cool. Guess finals are over, dunno what they'll do with the bus.

Well that explains a few things
While the AFL delivers all finals in the men's competition, the women's structure is slightly different. Clubs deliver finals across the opening three weeks of the finals series - for example, this weekend’s semi-finals - and the AFL only delivers the Grand Final.

As revealed by Sarah Black on womens.afl's The W Show, this structure provides clubs who have earned the home ground advantage with more control of venue choice and, in turn, has led Richmond to stick to its decision to host at Punt Road Oval, despite a limited attendance capacity at the venue.

In case anyone is watching AFLW semi Crows v Pies, rain is absolutely dumping down now, blowing in sidewards from SSW, with some electrical activity (though not as much as earlier in the day). It's dark, almost like dusk atm

In case anyone is watching AFLW semi Crows v Pies, rain is absolutely dumping down now, blowing in sidewards from SSW, with some electrical activity (though not as much as earlier in the day). It's dark, almost like dusk atm
It was delayed by half an hour due to a nearby lightning strike too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it had been considered before now for running, tennis etc it's mind boggling that footy/soccer/studded boots are only starting to come to the party.
Even if they exist idk how many players will actually have them for a while. A lot of them seem to have sponsorship or something from companies that make the boots. If that company doesn't have the new kind then what?

I also kinda wonder if the stuff they're saying about the length of the studs being different because women tend to have less body weight, I wonder if that also translates to different studs for like Orazio Fantasia compared with Shane Mumford?

Even if they exist idk how many players will actually have them for a while. A lot of them seem to have sponsorship or something from companies that make the boots. If that company doesn't have the new kind then what?

I also kinda wonder if the stuff they're saying about the length of the studs being different because women tend to have less body weight, I wonder if that also translates to different studs for like Orazio Fantasia compared with Shane Mumford?
I'd be interested to know how different stud types would be determined at the point of manufacturing as it'd be impacted by the weight, and weight dispersion through the foot, of the individual as well as the ground firmness on any given day.

Growing up in the Lower South East of SA most people had both screw ins and molded soul boots as you'd need the molded through preseason games and the start of the season but screw ins during winter itself. I can categorically say screw ins on firm grounds used to cause me some pain if I wore them too early or a ground had hardened up quicker than anticipated and most people did but it'd vary as to when.

Based on that your Raz vs Mummy comparison, and how it'd translate to women's footy, has legs.

I'd be interested to know how different stud types would be determined at the point of manufacturing as it'd be impacted by the weight, and weight dispersion through the foot, of the individual as well as the ground firmness on any given day.

Growing up in the Lower South East of SA most people had both screw ins and molded soul boots as you'd need the molded through preseason games and the start of the season but screw ins during winter itself. I can categorically say screw ins on firm grounds used to cause me some pain if I wore them too early or a ground had hardened up quicker than anticipated and most people did but it'd vary as to when.

Based on that your Raz vs Mummy comparison, and how it'd translate to women's footy, has legs.
I think BT went in the boot studder's room after a game a few weeks ago and it seems most AFL players use moulded. Certainly you'd think Marvel would require moulded boots.

Haha I was just looking on Adidas website and they have boots specifically designed for goal kicking that look like they're flatter across the toe, and then there's speed ones that I guess are more flexible or rounded perhaps? 🤔 Wonder how much difference that actually makes compared to getting a custom pair (if they even do custom fit).

Kornes doing Kornes things

Cornes: It’s six weeks out from Round 1 starting, it’s the middle of pre-season training (now) and you're allowing one of your star marquee players to go and jump in the ring ahead of the season … and it was pretty confronting how badly she was banged up.

The AFLW for allowing one of their marquee, highly-paid players to jump in the ring, six weeks out from Round 1 and in the middle of pre-season. Would they allow that to happen for an AFL player?

I would have thought contractually there would and should be some clauses in there about participating in dangerous sports halfway through pre-season.

Some might say it's a part-time profession, so you can't limit them from doing that. But just with everything going on with head knocks, I think it's a terrible look, a shocking look.

Do you think Geelong would allow Dangerfield to jump in the ring against Barry Hall six weeks out from Round 1?

King: I think he would be training within an inch of his life (if he took up boxing). So, in terms of preparation for the AFL season, he would be as good as he could possibly be in terms of fitness levels.

Cornes: I agree with all of that, and I respect anyone who jumps in the ring. But what are you, are you a professional footballer and a marquee player at Melbourne? Where you’re highly paid, we know all of that. Or are you a boxer? I think there's no hope that Geelong would allow Patrick Dangerfield to jump in the ring.
GettyImages-1571716656.jpg

I just wonder how it goes as far as concussion and AFL policy goes ? I think Taylor should be free to do what she wants but I do wonder if she is playing with fire by boxing and then fronting up for a footy season as most boxers take a decent spell between fights. Not surprised with Corn making comment. He blows up if someone rides a scooter during pre season or wears a pair of thongs.

I just wonder how it goes as far as concussion and AFL policy goes ? I think Taylor should be free to do what she wants but I do wonder if she is playing with fire by boxing and then fronting up for a footy season as most boxers take a decent spell between fights. Not surprised with Corn making comment. He blows up if someone rides a scooter during pre season or wears a pair of thongs.
For as long as AFLW is a part-time gig, they can do what they like. But the sooner they professionalise the better.

Would be hard to sue the AFL for concussion if the AFL can reasonably point to boxing as the cause though.

Imagine Sam Kerr playing AFLW 🥹

Would’ve been for West Coast though, at least as a Matilda we’re allowed to like her.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back