Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Hodgey lol

He's a good bloke.

Honestly I saw that bit Barrett is referring to, I actually thought it was quite good. Better yet if it was a freebie. Whatever else we may say or think about him, Hodge has far more insight to share than Barrett could ever dream of having, or most paid commentators.

sidebar/ I notice Barrett hasn't bothered writing many articles since Essendon started playing good. I think we must be his muse.

Absolutely. And He was right 5 goals today can be be turned around pretty quick if a side gets a run. A few of Brisbane's wins game from late comebacks, add his 4 premierships. Pretty sure I know who's comments I would take notice of.

I don't really see why someone wouldn't think it was a paid gig, given Hodge is appearing regularly as a commentator for C7. The lines are blurred and it's entirely fair to think he's getting some kind of return from C7 for giving 'access' to a level we've not seen before. Even if C7 went to the Lions and asked for access to this extreme level, it's pretty obvious why Luke Hodge got the gig over say Stefan Martin. He's either getting paid now or padding his resume to get paid in the future while in the middle of a game.

On the issue of the access itself, I don't think this type of stuff is the thing people in the media are seeking when they say they want more access from the players. This content, Hodge's stuff last night and interviewing captains after the coin toss like with Heppell today, is basically unusable for the bulk of the media and as a bonus, completely awful for most viewers to watch. The whole thing is getting gross, as is players commentating on other games, as with Hodge, Naitanui and Phil Davis this season. It's nice that C7 understands their coverage sucks, but I don't think getting current players to do the job helps...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My position on the Hodge interview is that I thought he was generous.

He's exhausted, he's trying to coach the side from the ground and he's old and (comparatively) unfit.

The overwhelming majority of the interviews with coaches and players during games are rubbish and add nothing to the coverage. It's just media engaging in characteristic self-indulgence and palming off "access" as "insight".

So after the Round 1 disaster/embarrassment... we now sit on the same win/loss yet only 2% behind the "premiership contenders", GWS...

Today for them was like our St Kilda game from a few weeks back.

Funny season so far...

So after the Round 1 disaster/embarrassment... we now sit on the same win/loss yet only 2% behind the "premiership contenders", GWS...

Today for them was like our St Kilda game from a few weeks back.

Funny season so far...
And St Kilda could be on top of the ladder if they win today...

Love the look of the Dockers. Very athletic, powerful players and they all seem to be able to run.

Obviously there is more to being good than that but they've got a great coach who will develop the defensive side of their game.

That's a very good combination with a team which is on paper close to being perfectly balanced.

I can see the combination clicking over the next four weeks, though it may take another year. In any event by June next year they'll be the real deal.

Blakely and S. Hill to be added, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back