Opposition Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIII

mike14

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
It looks like the AFL is officially endorsing the "intent is what maters" line with regard to umpiring and the rules, based on their reply to the club.
I'd like to wish the league good luck with their mind-reading powers, but I think I'm pretty much done with AFL football. Will keep supporting the lower leagues but that's about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Essendon
...suddenly the dogs have a mint of cap space
Yes they will have a heap more dollars in their books, but doesn’t it still count towards the bulldogs cap??
I think the AFL still count the contract even if a player retires (like if Buddy retires now they still have to include his salary even if they weren’t paying him) or is that only for people who were free agents if the retire early??

sameolds33

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Essendon
It looks like the AFL is officially endorsing the "intent is what maters" line with regard to umpiring and the rules, based on their reply to the club.
I'd like to wish the league good luck with their mind-reading powers, but I think I'm pretty much done with AFL football. Will keep supporting the lower leagues but that's about it
I agree, I'm writing to the AFL board to protest the failure of the AFL executive and management to act as responsible custodians of the game which is bigger than the AFL and can exist apart from the AFL.

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades, Kings
Yes they will have a heap more dollars in their books, but doesn’t it still count towards the bulldogs cap??
I think the AFL still count the contract even if a player retires (like if Buddy retires now they still have to include his salary even if they weren’t paying him) or is that only for people who were free agents if the retire early??
No I think that is a Sydney only rule, just like being allowed to climb the goal post. It was another vibe decision from memory.

mike14

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
Like we were ever going to get any other answer.
"Yup it was one that was missed and it shouldn't have been. That umpiring team have been spoken to and there's been some additional training, collectivly the umpires have been spoken to about it and they are aware of our expectations, the players are on notice about it, and we'll do everything we can to make sure incidents like this don't get missed in the future."

That's literally all they had to say...

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
"Yup it was one that was missed and it shouldn't have been. That umpiring team have been spoken to and there's been some additional training, collectivly the umpires have been spoken to about it and they are aware of our expectations, the players are on notice about it, and we'll do everything we can to make sure incidents like this don't get missed in the future."

That's literally all they had to say...
Wait, is that official? That they were saying it was missed? That’s a new level if so because there is clear evidence the infringement wasn’t missed by players or the umpire, he just saw the infringement and decided not to follow the rules.

mike14

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
Wait, is that official? That they were saying it was missed? That’s a new level if so because there is clear evidence the infringement wasn’t missed by players or the umpire, he just saw the infringement and decided not to follow the rules.
No, that's what I'm saying they should have said (or words to that effect).
The AFL is saying that they'll continue to apply the rules based on the 'vibe' at the time

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Piggy Smith, SFG, Heat, Raiders
I know it is so far down the list of important things when discussing Tom Boyd at the moment....

But did the Bulldogs just get $1m of Salary cap room now he has retired?
He’s been released from his contract so I reckon he’s got a little bit of a pay out but in short, yeah, now they’ve got lots of room.

I would also add to that that given the timing of it I’ve got little doubt that he got a bit of a push, same with Shaun Grigg.

All of a sudden the Tigers and Bulldogs have another pick in the mid season draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Wow, just found out Bob Hawke died today via Lawrence Mooney on 360, bizarre stuff
I loved Bob Hawke. Maybe I was young and impressionable, but was the last Australian politician I gave a **** about in a good way.

In other matters, great win by Storm, thoroughly enjoyed that.

AFL Club
Essendon
They were racist. Head recruiter was told by the board not to recruit players of color.
I do hope they kept that stance going into the 2000s, players like Franklin and Rioli where pretty handy for em :p

Edit: this is a joke, need to clear that up for the dapperjongs of the world

Last edited:
Top Bottom