Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
St Louis Blues yesterday, Toronto Raptors today. Feel for DeMar DeRozan, but that's business!

Despite having 6 Canadian NHL teams in the league, a Canadian team hasn't won the Stanley Cup since 1993.
isn't that because all the top players play for US franchises?

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Technically it may all have been correct & by the book but it ruined the ending, just pay the 2 points scored off the foul & a game that was 99.5 over would have been 100% done. I dont watch enough basketball to know how often that goes on but it was just nuts.
But the foul occurred well before possession so continuation and allowing the basket would have been wrong. Warriors deserved the 0.5% chance to win (even though I was barracking hard for the Raptors).

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
But the foul occurred well before possession so continuation and allowing the basket would have been wrong. Warriors deserved the 0.5% chance to win (even though I was barracking hard for the Raptors).
Free throws get missed leading to ridiculous buzzer beaters up the other end, the theatre of fouls and free throws in a tight finish can be immense.

isn't that because all the top players play for US franchises?
Not really anymore, but for a large chunk of that period they struggled. Up until the lockout in 05 Canadian team were suffering through a poor exchange rate (so revenue was lower) and no salary cap and couldn't afford the payroll of US teams. In more recent years I think it just comes down to it's hard to win the Cup.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Armitage looking like Stewy Dew

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
Not really anymore, but for a large chunk of that period they struggled. Up until the lockout in 05 Canadian team were suffering through a poor exchange rate (so revenue was lower) and no salary cap and couldn't afford the payroll of US teams. In more recent years I think it just comes down to it's hard to win the Cup.
well also, most of the Canadian teams have/have had absolutely stupid GMs who could be replaced with a potato for much of that time

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Dad in the stands

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
For some reason I thought we were watching a re-enactment of the Suns season last year, so I had a quick look.

2018 - 3-2 after 5 rounds, lose the next 7, lose to St Kilda on this day last year by 2 points, after leading by 31 points
2019 - 3-2 after 5 rounds, lose the next 7, lose to St Kilda today after leading by 31 points

For some reason I thought we were watching a re-enactment of the Suns season last year, so I had a quick look.

2018 - 3-2 after 5 rounds, lose the next 7, lose to St Kilda on this day last year by 2 points, after leading by 31 points
2019 - 3-2 after 5 rounds, lose the next 7, lose to St Kilda today after leading by 31 points

Now they have Corey Ellis though

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool

There’s a main board thread somewhere titled something about footy coincidences. You should this to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back