Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite deliberately, and obviously, meant to be smothered in copious amounts of mayo...
Which makes your stance even more hilarious. You admit your justification is horseshit.

Meh, whatever I got sucked in, congrats. You're right and we're all wrong.

You can just not post. No one asked you to wail, no one asked you to be that guy.

People want to show support for someone and when you come in with posts like that, you’re actually undermining them too.

Do you get that or not?

Posts like what?

This is a footy forum, this thread is about non-Essendon topics.

I didn't celebrate his injury, didn't wish him any ill-will.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Meh.

Meh all round. I kind of agree with Jade that the reaction to injuries in the sporting world are often over the top compared to what most people would get.

Not sure I'd go so far as to say I don't care about them, but I'm not about to start a candle light vigil.

Reaction to what Jade said is pretty over the top too.

Meh.

Meh all round. I kind of agree with Jade that the reaction to injuries in the sporting world are often over the top compared to what most people would get.

If you fall over tomorrow and break your leg, you'll get people wanting to know you're ok, but I'd bet once it's clear you aren't any real danger, you'll get friends and family giving you s**t for being clumsy, having a laugh at your expense, and just generally making light of the situation - because that's what people do.

Not sure I'd go so far as to say I don't care about them, but I'm not about to start a candle light vigil.

Not caring (at least not in the 'oh no that's so sad and heartbreaking and traumatic and baby kittens' kind of way), does not mean reveling in his misfortune. A bloody good player from an opposition club just went down - that's probably going to make it easier for other teams to beat them in this highly competitive, professional competition.

Reaction to what Jade said is pretty over the top too.

Of course it is. The group think is that we should be sad that a player went down. I'm not. And saying just as much doesn't gel with the group think, which causes an outraged response - that's the part I don't give a * about.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Posts like what?

This is a footy forum, this thread is about non-Essendon topics.

I didn't celebrate his injury, didn't wish him any ill-will.

You know which post. “That guy” infers what exactly?

If you’re happy then continue as you were. Don’t try and justify it to anyone who doesn’t agree. Cos otherwise it looks like you care.

You know which post. “That guy” infers what exactly?

The one who doesn't want to pretend my heart is weeping for a sporting injury. That guy.

If you’re happy then continue as you were. Don’t try and justify it to anyone who doesn’t agree. Cos otherwise it looks like you care.

Which is quite literally the same response as someone thinking they've got some interwebz points when someone argues with them.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
The one who doesn't want to pretend my heart is weeping for a sporting injury. That guy.

Which is quite literally the same response as someone thinking they've got some interwebz points when someone argues with them.

Continue as you were.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Yeah sorry I’m sure he probably is a decent lad and all but I have little empathy. He’s going to make $600k (ballpark figure) and not play a game of footy next year, injuries are part of it, it’s a contact sport, everyone knows the risks. I’ve had a good mate lose his job after rupturing his ACL in a practice match, it’s s**t but it happens.

I remember being at the game when Winderlich and Dempsey did ACLs in the same quarter and there was laughing and carry on from the scum supporters around me. I probably should be a bigger person and all, but I kinda don’t want to be. I hate those campaigners and I throughly enjoy watching them loiter around the bottom of the ladder and the clusterf*ck that was giving away their number 1 pick next year for the next Blaine Boekhorst.

At the end of the day whether Jade does give a sh*t or not, I’m sure Sam Docherty genuinely is sitting in his hospital bed not giving two f*cks what people on the Essendon BigFooty forum are saying about the situation.

Jade saying what he thinks of it all isn’t going to change the outcome of his surgery just as much as the “get well soon” posts won’t get him on the park for round 1. Lighten up, while being a campaigner he also made some good points.

Didn't your mothers tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all? Jeez*
giphy.gif

*I do understand the slightly hypocritical nature of this post on a footy forum where we bag out opposition clubs and players every day.

The point still stands however that lack of empathy comments (at best, at worst it's nasty) are pretty pointless. If you don't care, why broadcast it? Let the people who do care do what they want without the antagonism. :infodeskperson:

Last edited:
Didn't your mothers tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all? Jeez*
giphy.gif

*I do understand the slightly hypocritical nature of this post on a footy forum where we bag out opposition clubs and players every day.

The point still stands however that lack of empathy comments (at best, at worst it's nasty) are pretty pointless. If you don't care, why broadcast it? Let the people who do care do what they want without the antagonism. :infodeskperson:

Didn’t your parents remind you about sticks and stones?

People can learn to harden up, put on their big boy (or girl) pants, and learn that not every view that doesn’t mirror theirs is bad.

The offended shrieking is bloody pathetic.

Didn’t your parents remind you about sticks and stones?

People can learn to harden up, put on their big boy (or girl) pants, and learn that not every view that doesn’t mirror theirs is bad.

The offended shrieking is bloody pathetic.
Off topic but you know very well that's a terrible saying, because words can and do hurt people and lead them to horrible places.

I just don't get why the view needs sharing. It serves no purpose other than making the person sharing the view not look like a very nice person. Now, you could say you don't care whether people think good or bad of you... but I'll give you one line - post to like ratio ;)

EDIT: I don't think anyone is offended by your remarks - I think most people think they're just pretty average.

Off topic but you know very well that's a terrible saying, because words can and do hurt people and lead them to horrible places.

No it isn't. It's a manner in which, in my view, most people should be living their lives. Learn to ignore the trivial. You don't like that someone said on a footy forum that he doesn't care that a player has a sporting injury? I repeat, harden the * up.

I just don't get why the view needs sharing.

Because I choose to share it. You are literally advocating the idea that a view shouldn't be shared if it runs the risk of offending someone. Someone start a 'safe space' thread.

It serves no purpose other than making the person sharing the view not look like a very nice person.

If people genuinely want to form a view of me based on a comment or comments on a football forum, good luck to them - I'll hardly lose sleep over it.

Now, you could say you don't care whether people think good or bad of you... but I'll give you one line - post to like ratio ;)

EDIT: I don't think anyone is offended by your remarks - I think most people think they're just pretty average.

Most people need to learn that what they think doesn't dictate how other people think or act.

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
I mean there's no rule you have to feel sympathy for anyone in any situation, you kind of either do or you don't. But like, it's always weird that when it comes to sportspeople, or just famous people in general who typically are in positions where they're earning extraordinary amounts more money than the average joe that they're seemingly less empathetic figures because of that, or opportunities that that might afford them.

His injury, or anyone elses doesn't really affect me and i'll prob forget it by tomorrow but I can still be pretty sympathetic of the mental toll it would take on someone to work really hard to get into a position where you are somewhere a very small of amount of people get to and have it taken away (and in this case, again) by injury and the lonely road of rehab, watching from the sidelines knowing there's nothing you can really do to help and feeling helpless is a real thing these people go through and I don't envy that state of mind they have to go through. Money can sure eliminate a lot of stresses of the world but it's not going to hide you from your mind in those lonely moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back