Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
You know the thing going through Goodwin's mind is almost certainly all of the negatives of Weideman's game and not the positives (which I would say are more significant).

Also, has Gawn given Grundy a bath today?

Gawn had 34 touches and 10 clearances. Monster game for any ruck. Didn’t really matter tho

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Howe decision a shocker, what are they doing to this game.
Duncan had one paid against him in the Adel v Gee game and I completely lost my s**t. I expressed how it was against the spirit of our game, and how we will see one of the great marks taken and disallowed because of counter-intuitive umpire interpretations of new rules. Now it has happened twice I am of the belief that the AFL are deliberately trying to undermine our great game... either that or they are utterly clueless...

Surely, when it happened the first time, some wiser heads, who maybe once played the game, might’ve had a word to the powers that be and we might’ve had a little reinterpretation. But no, it seems there was nothing fundamentally wrong with that original decision... pffft... game’s rooted...

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
I want to do a 22 of the players I can't believe play AFL.

Charlie Spargo would be the captain.

He cannot proactively impact a contest physically. All he can really do is the chase down tackle/fall on some players already on the ground.
He’s the new Trav Colyer. He’s so slight though. If he’s not in space he’s virtually useless.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s the new Trav Colyer. He’s so slight though. If he’s not in space he’s virtually useless.

Sorry Runky but not even I can cop that criticism of Colyer.

Colyer's running power meant he belonged on an AFL list basically by default (there were games he turned almost playing a lone hand). He got his 7 years to work out how to handle and use the ball and, unfortunately for him, it just doesn't look like he can do it.

I cannot see why Spargo would be on an AFL list in 2018/2019. Unfair as it maybe, which I don't really care about because neither life nor professional sport is meant to be "fair" in that respect, he's far too small to be as slow as he is with no apparent dynamic aspect to his game. If people want to feel sorry for Spargo for being too small, feel sorry for McKernan or Cam Pederson who were too small to be AFL ruckmen who were and are twice the players of many AFL rucks who have played 200 games. Nick Meese is a Mark Jamar level ruck technician who never grew enough to be an AFL player.

If Spargo displayed some amazing talent as a junior I would have thought the smart thing would have been to wait to see how his game converted to playing against men before investing pick 29 in him. It's a very generous "this guy really deserves his shot" attitude to have taken to select him at all.

Dan Coghlan and Ben Duscher never made it to an AFL list. Kyle Martin was kicking 5 goals a week, getting the ball 30 to 40 times and was supposed to have had deficiencies in his game.

It blows my mind.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Sorry Runky but not even I can cop that criticism of Colyer.

Colyer's running power meant he belonged on an AFL list basically by default (there were games he turned almost playing a lone hand). He got his 7 years to work out how to handle and use the ball and, unfortunately for him, it just doesn't look like he can do it.

I cannot see why Spargo would be on an AFL list in 2018/2019. Unfair as it maybe, which I don't really care about because neither life nor professional sport is meant to be "fair" in that respect, he's far too small to be as slow as he is with no apparent dynamic aspect to his game. If people want to feel sorry for Spargo for being too small, feel sorry for McKernan or Cam Pederson who were too small to be AFL ruckmen who were and are twice the players of many AFL rucks who have played 200 games. Nick Meese is a Mark Jamar level ruck technician who never grew enough to be an AFL player.

If Spargo displayed some amazing talent as a junior I would have thought the smart thing would have been to wait to see how his game converted to playing against men before investing pick 29 in him. It's a very generous "this guy really deserves his shot" attitude to have taken to select him at all.

Dan Coghlan and Ben Duscher never made it to an AFL list. Kyle Martin was kicking 5 goals a week, getting the ball 30 to 40 times and was supposed to have had deficiencies in his game.

It blows my mind.
Perfect! Well said.

Last edited:
Pies really do have a wonderful mix with their smalls.

Got running power in absolute spades, Bloke who launch themselves into packs like scud missiles, breakaway speed and an element of poise, balance and class.

If Damo wants a sliding doors moment to look at how about Ryder poo pooing a move to Brisbane in 2014.

That goes through and Beams probably doesn’t get to Brisbane (at least that year), De Goey potentially ends up at Essendon and Collingwood don’t have enough trade ammo to get Crisp and Greenwood.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades

Got running power in absolute spades, Bloke who launch themselves into packs like scud missiles, breakaway speed and an element of poise, balance and class.

If Damo wants a sliding doors moment to look at how about Ryder poo pooing a move to Brisbane in 2014.

That goes through and Beams probably doesn’t get to Brisbane (at least that year), De Goey potentially ends up at Essendon and Collingwood don’t have enough trade ammo to get Crisp and Greenwood.
Well he’d need to understand the whole concept of sliding doors first...

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

You’re hired

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
How wonderful was it to see Brad Green’s two boys running out with the Melbourne team and then giving their Dad a big hug and kiss. What a week or so they’ve endured. Football means nothing in the grand scheme of things but gee when it can put a smile on a kids face and help them forget their pain and loss even just for a moment, it’s everything.

Brought a tear to the eye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Geelong is the only good team this year. GWS second, but they're too mentally weak/injury riddled. Talent pool spreading out since GWS and GC has made lists very shallow.

Richmond and West Coast would have been an ordinary middle of the road 8-12 side. They're currently top 4 contenders.
Don’t rule out Collingwood just yet.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
I know he is listed at 190cm, but Cam Ellis-Yolmon legit looks like 194/195 at times. Huge. Hopefully he can stay injury free and ilk out a respectable 100 game career.

Think it's a pretty easy decision between O'Brien & Jacobs.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I know he is listed at 190cm, but Cam Ellis-Yolmon legit looks like 194/195 at times. Huge. Hopefully he can stay injury free and ilk out a respectable 100 game career.

Think it's a pretty easy decision between O'Brien & Jacobs.

He looks like he should be a flanker on the NZ rugby side.

He's a redefinition of the term "unit".

O’Brien is so delightfully old school. Everything about him is fundamentally sound and predictable as hell for the Adelaide mids, working wonderfully in tandem almost immediately. And they’ve got the runners to kill sides on the spread.

Richmond in big, big trouble. They’ve gone from top 3 in defending the transition last year to bottom 2 this year and just can’t stop sides scoring or hem them in. Their zone keeps getting scythed to bits and they’re struggling to generate scores because they base everything they do off time in forward half.

Love Stack, someone so raw, undercoached and instinct driven is such a breath of fresh air, meanwhile Jack Higgins is the new Rhys Palmer. Immediate impact is great, but he’s the finished product at 20.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
Hope Jenkins is ok, kicks four, and potentially does a knee in literally the last seconds of the game.

ACL ruled out which is some positive news

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back