Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd be FILTHY if that free against Thompson was paid against one of our defenders

Yeah but it wasn’t.

It was paid against a HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*norf defender.

The free against McInerney to Brown was poor. The free against Thompson was absolutely disgusting - that was just textbook great defending from him.

It was a classic Mason Cox free. Defender gets penalised because the bloke he’s marking has the centre of gravity of a palm tree.

That free against Thompson was bad, but the ruck infringement free kick 5mins earlier against McInerney which resulted in a Ben Brown goal was just as bad.

Cancel each other out for mine.
To me they both speak of umpiring that lacks an understanding of context and complete lack of considering of the fact that to compete in both of those situations, the physical contact from McInerney (against Brown) and Thompson (against McInerney) was both necessary in the situation, and not illegal.

I wowed when both frees were paid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF John Longmire or more in particular Ross Lyon ever coach Essendon... I will quit the sport.

Close game? Oh OK... fantastic. But an absolute pile of garbage in every other facet!
I thought about this the other day and had similar feelings. Whilst I'd be unlikely to quit the sport I would probably just follow the NEAFL until their reign was over.
I'd have to be in that position but
there's a tipping point.

To me they both speak of umpiring that lacks an understanding of context and complete lack of considering of the fact that to compete in both of those situations, the physical contact from McInerney (against Brown) and Thompson (against McInerney) was both necessary in the situation, and not illegal.

I wowed when both frees were paid.
I played in the ruck as a junior, and I distinctly remember being taught that if you had the height advantage to make early contact and put the 'bumper bar' up to block a run up.
It is ruck craft 101. I just about turned the tv off when i saw it as a free kick. When it came to rucks, i would really be happy if there were only 3 free kicks payable in a ruck contest:
- high contact
- push (directly) in the back
- holding (but only if the infringer is holding from behind, if they are front on play on)

Get rid of this blocking crap. Its called ruck craft, and if a guy can stop you from contesting a hit out by jumping earlier or putting his arm up then find a new trick to win the hit out.

The free against Thompson looked bad because McInerney went to ground so easy. The 'double motion' of a push off woth the forearm and then mark was very close, and considering the time of the game I would never have paid it myself.

The most interesting thing I’m noticing with the umpiring in general is the frees are tending to go to the players that either make the error in judgment and/or don’t have the don’t have the experience or ability or know how to impact any given contest on the ground or in the air.

McInerney got flat out outpointed because he didn’t judge it in the air and Brown (despite being ruck height) has next to no idea in the ruck, he attacked the contest in such a way that left himself open to contact.

Speaks to those in power not having a feel for the game, which is concerning to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back