Imagine this side, right now, all fully fit:

Charlie Ballard - Steven May - Adam Saad
Pearce Hanley - Rory Thompson - Jarrod Harbrow
Harley Bennell - Gary Ablett - Kade Kolodjashnij
Jack Martin - Tom Lynch - Josh Caddy
Brandon Matera - Charlie Dixon - Peter Wright
Jarrod Witts - David Swallow - Dion Prestia
Alex Sexton - Aaron Hall - Jarryd Lyons - Jack Bowes

Not great in terms of inside mids but it more than makes up for it in speed and footskills.

Having a similar look at GWS is interesting - they recruited mature players earlier (obviously had a lot more concessions than GC) to drive the culture and their side is oozing with talent. Interestingly, they haven't had great luck with KPP or rucks.

FB: N. Wilson A. Tomlinson H. Shaw
CHB: L.Whitfield P. Davis Z. Williams
C: J. Kelly C.Ward T. Scully
CHF: S. Cogniglio H. Himmelberg T. Adams
FF: T. Greene J. Cameron D. Smith
R: S. Mumford D. Sheil A. Trelor

J. Bruce, S. Reid, W. Hoskin-Elliot, T. Boyd, R. Lobb, R. Griffen, J. Hopper, T. Tarranto, D. Lloyd, M. de Boar, J. Finlayson, B. Deledio, M. Buntine, N Haynes

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah let's compromise the competition again to try and gift this pile of s**t club some fake success at the expense of everyone else. I'm all for another few years of busting our arses for nothing in the football wilderness to make it happen. Yay! Footy!

Is that too cynical?
Yeah let's compromise the competition again to try and gift this pile of s**t club some fake success at the expense of everyone else. I'm all for another few years of busting our arses for nothing in the football wilderness to make it happen. Yay! Footy!

Is that too cynical?

No, not at all.

I dont see the point in them being a perennial basket case, though.

I hadn't really thought through everything and I'm not looking to make them more than competitive.

I was really going for millions to raid free agency which in reality is probably 2 or 4 players and not indefinitely. Definitely no more draft concessions.

I think the path toward self-sustainability for GC is much closer than we realise but then of course they ****ed the football side of things completely. Remember no facilities, etc.

It can be a boutique club and should have no trouble retaining players once the football is sorted.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
I think the path toward self-sustainability for GC is much closer than we realise but then of course they f’ed the football side of things completely. Remember no facilities, etc.
And that etc including such gems as league-low player welfare resourcing. Just astounding how badly it was set up.

In any case they have the talent already, not to be a GWS-grade super team shedding ex first rounders for more first rounders every year, but a first-decade Fremantle, it just needs time to develop (and will earn a few more early picks as it does so). The whole challenge is retaining those kids and not letting them be ground down in the process, and the answers to that are a well-run footy department and more (and better) mature bodies and mature heads.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
AFL want as Tassie team just send Gold Coast there,their will be more football followers in Tasmania than Gold Coast
meh.
revoke North licence
Give it to Tassie.
Reduce Vic to 9 teams.

If in 5-10 years GC is still floundering, give it more time and send StK licence to NT. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back