Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great game. Can't believe St Kilda choked from 44-8 up with Fremantle having 2 down.
I don’t think being two down is as much of an issue with the shorter games.

Great game. Can't believe St Kilda choked from 44-8 up with Fremantle having 2 down.
I don't even know if it was a choke. They just took the foot off the pedal completely in the second quarter, their pressure was nowhere to be seen. Freo got their confidence up from that.

What a great game. One of my favourites of the year so far.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reduce interchange to 20, 5 a quarter and it'll revert back to good footy.
We won't see forwards pushing up to the defensive arc because they'll be gassed with limited interchange. The best midfielders will be playing 95% game time with resting forward

And within 2 years the big blokes who can not run up and down the ground will be replaced by athletic Boltons who can run all day.

I'm not sure the AFLW comparison holds, given ball movement is also much slower. I would expect 16s at AFL level would see movement to and use of space much more effectively than in AFLW. Yes, it would increase the incentive to fitness, but perhaps also incentivise other qualities to capitalise on quicker ball movement. The scratch matches from what I've seen are total circle work from the moment following the first clearance, and are admittedly not treated as seriously as senior-grade, but suggest to me 16s might be a midpoint between tactical congestion and AFLX.

As an aside, a month or two back you were talking about clubs feeling they didn't necessarily need a state league reserves setup. Do you know if the experience of scratch matches has reinforced or challenged that?

I know what you are saying but you are only taking 4 players out of it. I think it will be need to be a bit more drastic if that is the way it goes.
As far as scratch matches go I do know everyone is looking closely to see how it goes. So far I am not hearing any negative comments.

Have you been watching the U18 TAC cup? This is the rule they have introduced a little while back. They also have another rule where at least 5 players from each team must be in one half of the ground. This rule is in place for whenever there is a stoppage/ball up/throw in.

From reports I've seen this has lead to more traditional positional type play.

Not this year obviously but I have seen the TAC with the stoppage rule in place and it does work.

I know what you are saying but you are only taking 4 players out of it. I think it will be need to be a bit more drastic if that is the way it goes.
As far as scratch matches go I do know everyone is looking closely to see how it goes. So far I am not hearing any negative comments.
If we take more than 4 players out may as well make it soccer. It would just be a sprint and a lot of physicality taken out.

Also need to play more day games...dry football especially in winter in QLD. Obviously money/prime time rules. And of course this year is an exception as we have to play all these QLD games

If we take more than 4 players out may as well make it soccer. It would just be a sprint and a lot of physicality taken out.

Also need to play more day games...dry football especially in winter in QLD. Obviously money/prime time rules. And of course this year is an exception as we have to play all these QLD games

I agree. Not something I want to see but if taking numbers off the ground was the way to reduce congestion in the game then it would have to be 14 a side IMO.

The irony being soccer has been successfully dealing with the balance between congestion and ball movement for 70 years now.

Do these ideas translate to local footy and either way is there a problem if they don't?

I get there are already significant differences in the way AFL is played to local footy because of fitness levels (and ability) but do we want .to risk a scenario where it disconnects and effectively becomes a different game? Is that the risk with 14 aside or very different rules?

Do these ideas translate to local footy and either way is there a problem if they don't?

I get there are already significant differences in the way AFL is played to local footy because of fitness levels (and ability) but do we want .to risk a scenario where it disconnects and effectively becomes a different game? Is that the risk with 14 aside or very different rules?
I think the fundamental rules should be uniform top to bottom, but you'll never get the same game top to bottom because professionalism inherently changes what is possible on a sports field. This happens in every sport but Australian football is the only one that seems to have a complex about it - I figure because we have recent (and, importantly, televised) memory of a tactically-naive amateur sport as the pinnacle of the game.

Fremantle are a side that could really become good quickly.

Hamling, Pearce and Logue are really good tall defenders, Luke Ryan can intercept as well as anyone, and then Young, Wilson and Hill can be really effective off half back.

Fyfe, Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong and Tucker are a good inside core that can rotate forward as well, and then Bewley, Aish and even Conca or Colyer on a wing can provide good run. Darcy and Lobb are a good ruck combo, both of whom have shown a bit inside 50.

Then up frot you have Taberner and Hogan along with Lobb/Darcy, Schulz, Walters and Sturt as a POD. A 22 of:

Logue - Hamling - Ryan
Wilson - Pearce - Young
Aish - Fyfe - Bewley
Schulz - Hogan - Taberner
Walters - Lobb - Sturt
Darcy - Brayshaw - Cerra
Hill - Serong - Tucker - Conca

Can seriously challenge teams in 2022 or so if Fyfe and Walters continue playing well.

Agree generally.

The list has a stack of potential. Just need to the likes of Pearce, Hogan, McCarthy and Hill consistently fit and healthy.

I dont think it needs anither 18 months. They were doing damage last year before injury hit.

A good preseason and they'll play finals next year.

I agree. Not something I want to see but if taking numbers off the ground was the way to reduce congestion in the game then it would have to be 14 a side IMO.
The irony being soccer has been successfully dealing with the balance between congestion and ball movement for 70 years now.
Interesting points from Jake Niall article proposing that a flexible fixture could be used in future, whereby allowing AFL to fixture more entertaining games in prime slots. Clubs then may ‘encourage’ coaching staff to look to play more entertaining brand to attract sponsorship money.

Interesting points from Jake Niall article proposing that a flexible fixture could be used in future, whereby allowing AFL to fixture more entertaining games in prime slots. Clubs then may ‘encourage’ coaching staff to look to play more entertaining brand to attract sponsorship money.

Yes, in that the schedulers are bad at projecting who will be worth watching and we get *-ups like that drab Carlton season where they got tonked every week in prime time.

No, in that (good) coaches are very good at resisting imposed directives if it limits their capacity to win, and that "entertaining" footy gets back to that fundamental question about the capacity of broadcasters to show what is entertaining about any given style of footy.

Last edited:
I think the fundamental rules should be uniform top to bottom, but you'll never get the same game top to bottom because professionalism inherently changes what is possible on a sports field. This happens in every sport but Australian football is the only one that seems to have a complex about it - I figure because we have recent (and, importantly, televised) memory of a tactically-naive amateur sport as the pinnacle of the game.
Or perhaps we have a sport where the governing body has been so intent on out performing its rivals it tried to manipulate outcomes at every turn to create great TV content - rather than risk the game working itself out over time.

A bit of both may be true but its difficult not to see an interfering governing body at work when rule interpretations change.weekly. In fact interpretations change so regularly that It's difficult to know what a bad decision is.

The bottom line is that at the highest levels AFL may end up a more defensive game than it was in 2000. We still watch it now and there's fewer 100 plus points a side shoot outs.

I don't see a huge risk in finding out how the game evolves over a couple of seasons while leaving it alone. In turn I think there is some risk in the game becoming unrecognisable to junior and local football - 14 aside or limiting player movement crosses that line imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back