Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting points from Jake Niall article proposing that a flexible fixture could be used in future, whereby allowing AFL to fixture more entertaining games in prime slots. Clubs then may ‘encourage’ coaching staff to look to play more entertaining brand to attract sponsorship money.

NRL went away from it because it was hard to plan events and other things around the floating fixture.

Port smashing GWS in final Q. GWS must have kicked themselves out of it and looks like superior coaching by Hinkley. The talent of the GWS list wasted again.
How can one team kick themselves out of it and be outcoached? If you kick yourself out of it, it means you won the tactical battle.

And I love that you're saying "talent is wasted" about a mid season game. It's a long season, they made the GF last year ffs.

How can one team kick themselves out of it and be outcoached? If you kick yourself out of it, it means you won the tactical battle.

And I love that you're saying "talent is wasted" about a mid season game. It's a long season, they made the GF last year ffs.
I only saw the last Q so it looked to me like GWS had kicked badly in the first 3 Qs. And the last Q was a smashing which I put down to superior coaching. And I love your put down of my observation that poor coaching wastes talent. I didn't say GWS' season was over, I said that it looked like GSW losing this game could be attributed to poor coaching of one of the more naturally talented sides in the league. Get a grip!

I only saw the last Q so it looked to me like GWS had kicked badly in the first 3 Qs. And the last Q was a smashing which I put down to superior coaching. And I love your put down of my observation that poor coaching wastes talent. I didn't say GWS' season was over, I said that it looked like GSW losing this game could be attributed to poor coaching of one of the more naturally talented sides in the league. Get a grip!
It's one or the other, not both.

However I would say that Hinkley outcoached Cameron.

GWS are ultimate pretenders. It goes beyond talent. I'm a big believer in club history and the weight of a guernsey. Besides, their intangibles seem off.

This Tigers v Swans game should just be called off on the off-chance it could actually become an even worse spectacle...
It's terrible. Swans have looked horrible, but are only 8 points down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS are ultimate pretenders. It goes beyond talent. I'm a big believer in club history and the weight of a guernsey. Besides, their intangibles seem off.

Terry Wallace said it in the pre-game show this evening so I'll run with it (not really having seen them this year to see if much has changed).

The system is not strong enough to stand up on all occasions. This means that the results tend not to reflect the obscene level of talent on the list. The corollary of that is that a more solid system probably does not result in GWS being able to pick stars line by line and/or it results in players playing must less statistically significant games.

Playing de Boer as a tagger and finally playing a small forward is not really a system. It's still relying on individuals in the old fashioned way.

They may have enough talent to pull it off but that relies on extreme luck with injuries, etc. It would be good to see them get that luck and play a best 22 as a combination for something close to a season but history says it wont happen.

Terry Wallace said it in the pre-game show this evening so I'll run with it (not really having seen them this year to see if much has changed).

The system is not strong enough to stand up on all occasions. This means that the results tend not to reflect the obscene level of talent on the list. The corollary of that is that a more solid system probably does not result in GWS being able to pick stars line by line and/or it results in players playing must less statistically significant games.

Playing de Boer as a tagger and finally playing a small forward is not really a system. It's still relying on individuals in the old fashioned way.

They may have enough talent to pull it off but that relies on extreme luck with injuries, etc. It would be good to see them get that luck and play a best 22 as a combination for something close to a season but history says it wont happen.

Hawthorn and Richmond both had very strong system based styles that drove their premierships, still reliant on their top-liners to stand up and win games but to a lesser extent than say GWS or Geelong.

Geelong seem to be trying to move away from it, but needed big games from Dangerfield and Hawkins to get over the line this week.

Would GWS with Clarkson coaching have won a premiership? Almost certainly.

Watching one quarter of a game only gives you a limited perspective of the game - Power were far the superior team to GWS but struggles to put the score on the board - A true reflection of the game was a 4 or 5 goal victory to Power.

Harry McKay does not get enough attention.

Not even 23 yet with 39 games to his name.

Bad start to this year but his best will probably be as good as Daniher at his best, both as a high marking forward and ground level freak.

Edit: actually 0 goals in 3 games is probably a good reason he hasn't been getting attention.

the state of AFL media

Tom Morris, On the Couch. Talking about breaking "news" that Cogs may lose his spot in the 22
Went from being under real pressure this week so Taranto can come in, to needing to perform and Cameron is grappling with dropping him, to it being a very real possibility the following week if he doesn't perform this week, to it being "very real" in the coming weeks.....in the space of 20 seconds.

Looking forward to seeing how Collingwood responds tonight. It should also tell us a bit more about Geelongs formline this year as well.

30,000 allowed in tonight... jealous of WA, life as normal pretty much
Can fit 12k into Metricon according to State Government regulations, yet I heard the AFL only released around 6000 tickets for last week's game. May be more this week as they have another part of the stands open.

Every second row was empty and there has to be 2 seats between you and the next person if they are not a family member.

Be interesting to see how many they actually let in tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back