Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they convey a bit of excitement without going over the top and they're also really knowledgeable. Same goes for their cricket commentary group, they sh*t all over the commercial networks.
Apart from Ian Chappell I agree

Apart from Ian Chappell I agree
I'm not good enough at recognising which voice belongs to which commentator, but overall the delivery is miles ahead of the hacks on tv

nonamehack

Team Captain
May 9, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, they convey a bit of excitement without going over the top and they're also really knowledgeable. Same goes for their cricket commentary group, they sh*t all over the commercial networks.
I guess this is what happens when you have the picture to back up the words you are saying. As if all else fails a person watching can still see what's going on.
With the radio alone they have to build that picture, so it is much harder to know what's going on if the commentators can't string 2 words together. In those situations I assume their radio calling careers are short lived.

On tv if you can cross promoted multiple sports or shows you've got a meal ticket for as long as you want it.

I guess this is what happens when you have the picture to back up the words you are saying. As if all else fails a person watching can still see what's going on.
With the radio alone they have to build that picture, so it is much harder to know what's going on if the commentators can't string 2 words together. In those situations I assume their radio calling careers are short lived.

On tv if you can cross promoted multiple sports or shows you've got a meal ticket for as long as you want it.
you nailed it, watching the cricket how often did they actually comment the ball or how often did they comment about crap warnie dirty rotten pizza

I found the best way was watch the footy chuck the radio on

you nailed it, watching the cricket how often did they actually comment the ball or how often did they comment about crap warnie dirty rotten pizza

I found the best way was watch the footy chuck the radio on
i grew up watching cricket on TV like that. My dad was a big fan of Alan McGilvray's radio commentary.

Re Howard and not saying sorry: What’s the point of saying sorry? It might feel nice for a white person to feel as though they’ve said sorry and all is well in their world but honestly what difference does saying sorry make? Rudd said sorry, what (real) difference has it made? Is there a treaty? Will a treaty make a difference? White people invaded their countries, no treaty or apology will ever change that fact.

This is an interesting discussion, but I'm not sure the answer is so cut and dry. If you're talking reparations then who should pay? If it were legally possible you could argue there could be a case for the invading country to take responsibility, so maybe England should pay for what happened 250 years ago. But if it were possible to charge them for past sins then you'd think that could also open the floodgates for what other countries (Romans, Mongols, Spanish, again England, and others?) have also done in the past.

And if you believe the people currently living here should pay reparations, then shouldn't we only charge descendants of those that perpetrated the original crimes 250 years ago? Not sure how you'd do that, but maybe through DNA tests? A lot of people have migrated here (including my wife in the 90s, who is a POC), so I'm not sure how it could be worked out who would or wouldn't pay for what happened back then.

Re Howard and not saying sorry: What’s the point of saying sorry? It might feel nice for a white person to feel as though they’ve said sorry and all is well in their world but honestly what difference does saying sorry make? Rudd said sorry, what (real) difference has it made? Is there a treaty? Will a treaty make a difference? White people invaded their countries, no treaty or apology will ever change that fact.

Saying sorry makes a big difference.

The fact that we haven't completed the task of getting a treaty done doesn't mean that the initial step of apologising for wrongs is irrelevant.

And as we've seen from that bloated orange sack of s**t in the past few years, what a leader says does in fact matter.

No, a treaty doesn't change the facts, but it does offer a formal reconciliation.

The fact that we haven't completed the task of getting a treaty done doesn't mean that the initial step of apologising for wrongs is irrelevant.

And as we've seen from that bloated orange sack of sh*t in the past few years, what a leader says does in fact matter.

No, a treaty doesn't change the facts, but it does offer a formal reconciliation.
Saying sorry opened the door for redressing the wrongs of the past. Treaties and reparations are only part of the story. The states (not the federal govt) are now negotiating treaties with the indigenous nations within each state.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
That's going a bit far. The players should just be allowed to smoke cigarettes before a game again, to calm their nerves, like the good old days. Or to smash a few tinnies to prime the dutch courage.
three quarter time durrie in a tight game, or maybe just a few puffs bummed off one of the drunk clowns crowding in on the huddle

nonamehack

Team Captain
May 9, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon

And as we've seen from that bloated orange sack of sh*t in the past few years, what a leader says does in fact matter.

Just quoting you because you were the last comment for this one. Isn't the hangar for non football talk? I'm really getting sick of all these offshoots thay keep appearing in the non Essendon football thread

westking

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Whoever happens to be winning
Sorry to see ol’ Bruce retire. Bumped into him at work occasionally and was nothing short of a true gentleman/nice guy/professional. I wish him a long and happy retirement.

However on that.

Apart from the disgraceful state of the game, the one thing that has truely gotten on my goat the most is the way this game is called on tv. A traditional bit of ego I wish was eradicated.

The game is not a effin horse race where the standard punter does not know the riders colours. We don’t need a blow by blow inaccurate description of something that has occurred 2 seconds ago. We don’t need any added excitement from the commentary on a continuous basis.

I get a headache.

Commentary/analysis yes of course. Continuous dribble no thx.

Where can I get a live feed of games with crowd noise but no ‘ego driven’ commentary.

ps thank goodness Eddie won’t be around anymore because he was the worst. Even worst then Dwyan

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa

Sounds lovely but what actual difference has it made to anybody’s life? Saying sorry is tokenism.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Very interesting issue with Buckley coming out of contract.

His camp will make the case that his results justify a pay increase and long term security.

I am not sure there will be clubs out there jumping at the opportunity to pay Buckley an enormous salary. In fact, I'd be pretty surprised if anyone seriously asks the question of him.

The way I look at it, I don't see what he is brining with him that I have to have. With Lyon I know I'm getting a defensive system that will get me close enough to win a flag with a bit of luck (assuming he hasn't smashed a mirror on a black cat). I've also seen what was building at Fremantle which was the promise of much more attacking flare (with a team he was building from scratch).

The Pies have not exactly been renowned for tactical innovation in Buckley's time. They've put together a very deep list of really good players (almost certainly the result of some salary cap shenanigans). Buckley has eventually learned enough about man management to get a team to jell but do I have any confidence he can could build it from scratch without the resources at Collingwood? Probably not. Has he gotten the best out of his list? I don't see how you could sensibly argue he has.

Even a contrast with Brad Scott doesn't work for me. While Scott doesn't have the GF to show for his efforts, or even the prolonged period of success, he was doing about 3 jobs with about 20% of the resources Buckley has had, and significantly less talent at his disposal. He wrung every ounce of talent out of a list with a combination of being a great manager (loyal to his people to a fault) and a strong tactical brand (after initial problems building a sustainable defensive system).

Buckley certainly doesn't touch Lyon, even without factoring in the talent and resources gap. Especially given that he took over a side that was in its window (coming off a flag and a runner up finish).

The only thing that makes Buckley's case from here is a flag. I still wouldn't have him close to Lyon in terms of what he would have achieved over the course of a coaching career.

Now that it's not Eddie presiding over the recontracting, I can see this negotiations not being as smooth as you'd have assumed a few months ago.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Very interesting issue with Buckley coming out of contract.

His camp will be make the case that his results justify a pay increase and long term security.

I am not sure there will be clubs out there jumping at the opportunity to pay Buckley an enormous salary. In fact, I'd be pretty surprised if anyone seriously asks the question of him.

The way I look at it, I don't see what he is brining with him that I have to have. With Lyon I know I'm getting a defensive system that will get me close enough to win a flag with a bit of luck (assuming he hasn't smashed a mirror on a black cat). I've also seen what was building at Fremantle which was the promise of much more attacking flare (with a team he was building from scratch).

The Pies have not exactly been renowned for tactical innovation in Buckley's time. They've put together a very deep list of really good players (almost certainly the result of some salary cap shenanigans). Buckley has eventually learned enough about man management to get a team to jell but do I have any confidence he can could build it from scratch without the resources at Collingwood? Probably not. Has he gotten the best out of his list? I don't see how you could sensibly argue he has.

Even a contrast with Brad Scott doesn't work for me. While Scott doesn't have the GF to show for his efforts, or even the prolonged period of success, he was doing about 3 jobs with about 20% of the resources Buckley has had, and significantly less talent at his disposal. He wrung every ounce of talent out of a list with a combination of being a great manager (loyal to his people to a fault) and a strong tactical brand (after initial problems building a sustainable defensive system).

Buckley certainly doesn't touch Lyon, even without factoring in the talent and resources gap. Especially given that he took over a side that was in its window (coming off a flag and a runner up finish).

The only thing that makes Buckley's case from here is a flag. I still wouldn't have him close to Lyon in terms of what he would have achieved over the course of a coaching career.

Now that it's not Eddie presiding over the recontracting, I can see this negotiations not being as smooth as you'd have assumed a few months ago.

Nothing about Buckley would make me think "we should hire this guy".

Lyon & Brad Scott both (in my opinion) got everything they could out of the lists they had, and played a reliable, disciplined brand of football. The game may have gone past both of them, but I'd be strongly considering them if I was Collingwood since I don't see anything in Buckley to suggest he's maximising that list, or that he's got significant upside. Hardwick managed to turn it around and is now regarded as a great coach, I'm not convinced Buckley will do the same.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Nothing about Buckley would make me think "we should hire this guy".

Lyon & Brad Scott both (in my opinion) got everything they could out of the lists they had, and played a reliable, disciplined brand of football. The game may have gone past both of them, but I'd be strongly considering them if I was Collingwood since I don't see anything in Buckley to suggest he's maximising that list, or that he's got significant upside. Hardwick managed to turn it around and is now regarded as a great coach, I'm not convinced Buckley will do the same.

Agreed.

Seeing as you brought it up...

I think Lyon in particular had started to evolve. Freo looked great in the first half of 2019 then they started losing pieces of the puzzle, particularly in attack, they lost 2 key forwards. Pearce got hurt as did S Hill and few other best 22 players and the wheels fell off. Lyon wasn't really sacked for performance related reasons, seems that Fremantle just wanted a change. You'd think Longmuir's relative success last year was built on the back of the system that was already in place.

Scott did the one thing you wouldn't have expected him to do, he recognised he didn't have the cattle. It got him sacked and he has been vindicated in the last 18 months.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Agreed.

Seeing as you brought it up...

I think Lyon in particular had started to evolve. Freo looked great in the first half of 2019 then they started losing pieces of the puzzle, particularly in attack, they lost 2 key forwards. Pearce got hurt as did S Hill and few other best 22 players and the wheels fell off. Lyon wasn't really sacked for performance related reasons, seems that Fremantle just wanted a change. You'd think Longmuir's relative success last year was built on the back of the system that was already in place.

Scott did the one thing you wouldn't have expected him to do, he recognised he didn't have the cattle. It got him sacked and he has been vindicated in the last 18 months.

Agreed with all of the above.

Scott got a lot of hate from North supporters at times but I always felt he'd done a hell of a lot with the list he had at his disposal and limited resources.

Freo hasn't really had a clean injury run for a while now, especially with their KPPs and Fyfe, but Longmuir appears to have evolved what Lyon was doing moreso than totally reinventing anything.

Also, ASADA changing it's name to SIA is old news, but it's new to me. Apparently the legislation governing the change also lowers the burden of proof for a show cause notice, which can be issued by the CEO unilaterally instead of going through a committee approval process... also removes the right not to self-incriminate apparently?

Guessing I was so caught up in COVID stuff a year ago that I didn't catch this one...

I find the whole system a joke really and in saying that my view is not based on our case but the total inconsistencies in penalties and non penalties and the fact that the IOC allows certain countries to compete despite their patchy history. The of course you have the sports that just decide to operate outside WADA like the MLB.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I find the whole system a joke really and in saying that my view is not based on our case but the total inconsistencies in penalties and non penalties and the fact that the IOC allows certain countries to compete despite their patchy history. The of course you have the sports that just decide to operate outside WADA like the MLB.

Has Jamaica started testing its athletes?

It'd be a joke if was funny. Nothing funny about the inept unjust system athletes have to work under. Completely understand why sports operate outside WADA rules. This ep of the Good Wife is a funny but accurate insight into CAS politics. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2559910/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back